Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK buyer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
looking to buy a 914 from USA but finding it very hard to gain trust off sellers any tips would be welcome thanks brian
billh1963
QUOTE(cal914 @ Jul 24 2012, 04:13 PM) *

looking to buy a 914 from USA but finding it very hard to gain trust off sellers any tips would be welcome thanks brian

I've sold overseas before....shouldn't be that hard to buy if you are serious.

Make sure your emails are literate and include details about the car. Emails that start with, "I find your price acceptable for the listed item...." are too generic and smells like a scam.

Talk on the phone as soon as possible.

Having the car inspected proves you are a buyer.

Pay via wire transfer.

That should work!!!!!!! beer.gif
Ian Stott
I have found fellow club members to be very helpful and if you find a car close to where one of us lives I'm sure you could arrange an "inspection" I would certainly do that for you if you find one within a reasonable distance. Not many teeners where I live but you never know where you will find one.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
aharder
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jul 24 2012, 03:26 PM) *

I have found fellow club members to be very helpful and if you find a car close to where one of us lives I'm sure you could arrange an "inspection" I would certainly do that for you if you find one within a reasonable distance. Not many teeners where I live but you never know where you will find one.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

agree.gif & welcome.png
cal914
i have found a car i would like to buy and had agreed a price but once the seller was aware i lived in the UK they decided to pull out i had offered to pay by pay pal or wire transfer the car was being sold on this site signal orange located in LA probably gone now but tips for the future would be great thanks brian
billh1963
QUOTE(cal914 @ Jul 24 2012, 04:58 PM) *

i have found a car i would like to buy and had agreed a price but once the seller was aware i lived in the UK they decided to pull out i had offered to pay by pay pal or wire transfer the car was being sold on this site signal orange located in LA probably gone now but tips for the future would be great thanks brian

Only a fool would take paypal....
Rod
Hello, I'm in the uk and bought my car here in the uk too, but my next one will definitely come from the USA as I want a V8 bastard child and theyre not popular over here..

I'd offer payment via bacs rather than paypal, also ask on here for a local member to go and have a look at the car. If its a member on here with it for sale then call them asap. It's a pain for a vendor to have to organise shipping if they haven't done it before, so ask for other local shipper recommendations.

If you find yours when I find mine we'll share a container!!
r_towle
Get some help here.
What do you want to buy?
What is you budget?

Get someone to pip the car for you and spend some cash to get that done, or fly over and see it yourself.

Rich
Cairo94507
Welcome to the World Cal914. Talk to them on the phone as soon as possible. Provide all of your contact information and make sure it is verifiable if necessary.

Ask the seller how they would like to receive payment should you come to terms on the price. Tell them up front that you are from the UK and would like to have a local member of 914World.com come look at the car and photograph and video it.

Then tell them if that checks out, you would still want a pre-purchase inspection and of course are willing to pay the cost of that. When you get to that point come back here and ask who knows a good shop close to the seller where that can be handled.

The key will be the seller's ability to believe you are a legitimate buyer who can afford the car and is willing to jump through the necessary hoops to make the purchase happen.

Good luck with your search. We have some very nice cars over here.
SLITS
If it's the one in San Gabriel (Los Angeles County), I'll go look at it for you.
markb
When I sold a bus to someone in the Netherlands, I contacted my bank & they told me what was needed to do a bank transfer. They were very helpful in dealing with everything.
seanery
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 24 2012, 08:17 PM) *

When I sold a bus to someone in the Netherlands, I contacted my bank & they told me what was needed to do a bank transfer. They were very helpful in dealing with everything.

I agree, mine did the same. My buyer made all of the arrangements for shipping the car to The Netherlands.
Mike Bellis
Brian,

This is the best place to start. Many helpful people here.

You could also try a Dealer like this. (No affiliation) But Dealer cars are usually very nice (minimal rust) and they can arrange shipping for you.

http://www.classiccarsltd.com/modules/auto/detail.php?id=743

This is very close by to many of us in the San Francisco area. You can find cars on Craigs List here too. This is only the SF area link.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?que...sk=&maxAsk=

Someone in the vast membership here will do a pre-purchase inspection for you. Where ever you look someone is close by.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.