Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mass airflow sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
I had the Red car in the shop, and it's had what feels like a fuel flow problem since I put the 76 motor in it. Since the Cap'n is out of town, the owner (very knowledgable about 914's) fixed the start problem and we discussed the fuel problem. He says it's probably the mass airflow sensor. Not being an engine guy, I'm asking all you gurus out there for help. What is it, and where is it. It's a 76 engine, Djet, all smog control stuff has been pulled off or plugged. Does the MAF need to be changed because of the difference in airflow without the smog stuff?
McMark
If it's a stock 76 motor it's should have LJet and the MAF is the silver box by the air cleaner.

If it does have DJet then there is no MAF, there is a MPS instead.

The MAF sensors wear out and rebuilt units are available direct from Fuel Injection Corp in Hayward CA (google them). They'll ask you for the application and/or the part number off the old unit. It won't have anything to do with the SMOG stuff being removed. They just wear out and I've had great experiences with fixing LJet cars that 'ran funny' by replacing the MAF. IIRC, they're about $125.
markb
Thanks Mark. This has Djet. I thought only the 1.8's had Ljet, and the 2.0's had Djet. Anyway, this is Djet, so no MAF, and it's the MPS, which is kinda what I was thinking. I should check the vaccuum & see if it's holding.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 24 2012, 06:45 PM) *

If it's a stock 76 motor it's should have LJet and the MAF is the silver box by the air cleaner.

If it does have DJet then there is no MAF, there is a MPS instead.

The MAF sensors wear out and rebuilt units are available direct from Fuel Injection Corp in Hayward CA (google them). They'll ask you for the application and/or the part number off the old unit. It won't have anything to do with the SMOG stuff being removed. They just wear out and I've had great experiences with fixing LJet cars that 'ran funny' by replacing the MAF. IIRC, they're about $125.

Why would a76 have ljet? They came with 2L too didn't they?
markb
Sorry, I didn't give enough info. 76 2.0, 30k on the rebuild. Stock Djet, all smog removed & the heads plugged.
r_towle
Check your fuel pressure, fuel filter and make sure you did not put the two fuel lines on backwards
markb
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2012, 05:12 PM) *

Check your fuel pressure, fuel filter and make sure you did not put the two fuel lines on backwards

New fuel pump, and filter, correctly installed. They checked the pressure yesterday, and it's set to spec.
r_towle
Mps looks like a small pumpkin and you can test it by putting a vacuum on it to verify it holds pressure.

If you describe the issue, you may learn how to fix it.
Could be several things that can all be tested with and ohm meter or a vacuum gauge.

Rich
markb
It feels like a fuel pulse. New pump & filter, rebuilt dizzy, new Pertronix & new Pertronix coil, plugs & wires are fairly new. It's done this for the last 6k, that was when I put it in this car. Pulse is worse at low speed & cold, better once it warms up. Does it even at highway speeds. Never quits, never has stranded me. It's more irritating than anything else, but if I can cure it before the new owner takes delivery, I will.
r_towle
Check cht sensor
Check tips

Both done with an oh, meter.
Tps might do this if you are in worn grooves.
Pull the cover and clean it with electrical cleaner and a toothbrush.

Cht, measure cold and measure hot
Pull the lead and put an ohm meter to ground for both measurements.

Rich
ChrisFoley
You should do a vacuum test on the MPS unit.
markb
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 24 2012, 05:29 PM) *

You should do a vacuum test on the MPS unit.

I already cleaned the TPS, and my next thought was the MPS vaccuum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.