Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Ebay Six Conversion Sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
Check it out...A very cool ride.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...984.m1423.l2649
bigkensteele
Very nice! What brand of seats are those?
GeorgeRud
Beautiful car! I'm sure at least that much money was spent on building this car.

It's a shame that the VIN for the factory sixes will probably bring them up into this price category, while these conversion cars are actually a whole lot more fun than the stock 110 hp -6 the factory built.

Hope he's able to at least get some bids that come close, but we'll see.
drgchapman
I watched this car being built at Rothsport last year. It is a Gamroth special, very well done. The motor is awesome, they run their builds in on the dyno and tune them to perfection. Love the exhaust and heat set up.
I'll guess it goes for $35k whole, $45k parted. Doesn't make sense to me.
championgt1
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 24 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Recaro SPG
kerensky
Love the color combo - if you'd have described it to me I'd have thought "ugh" but it really works.
Madswede
That is a very nice looking car, and the specs are impressive. It reminds me of something ... idea.gif
Dasnowman
Really nicely done not a fan how the headers go from 2.5" to what looks like 1 3/4" at the muffler looks like you would lose a few horses there.
mepstein
OK, I'll be the guy.

Don't care for the silver.
Seats look wrong in the car and whole interior looks sort of cheap.
Rear spoiler doesn't look right on this car.
Most of the build looks sort of average.
Don't like the battery in the trunk.
No oil pressure or temp?
Parking brake? maybe.
Rusty shift rod
Lower valve covers not machined.
I didn't see 35 whole, 45 parted???
62,500 BIN - no way for a '75 conversion car with mostly off the rack parts.
T.C.'s GT. even unfinished, was a whole lot more car.

JMO...
phillstek
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 25 2012, 09:01 PM) *

OK, I'll be the guy.

No oil pressure or temp?
Parking brake? maybe.
Rusty shift rod

JMO...

agree.gif
cary
I like Gary watched this car being built. It's a very well put together. I only hope when it comes time for me to assemble my 6 conversion it turns out that well.

But I'm not a fan of the red with silver.

Spoke
Nice car.
They should have spent an extra $100 and put some center caps on the Fuchs.
porbmw
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jul 24 2012, 09:02 PM) *

Love the color combo - if you'd have described it to me I'd have thought "ugh" but it really works.

agree.gif
Would like to see it "live"....some cars look better in photos, some the converse, but I am rather taken by the looks of this one. The sliver rockers, valances and roof seem to work very nicely. The setting/location for the photo shoot was well chosen. It may not look the same in a less industrial setting.
But I like it. Don't want it...but really do like it!
Madswede
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 25 2012, 05:01 AM) *

OK, I'll be the guy.

No oil pressure or temp?
Parking brake? maybe.
Rusty shift rod

JMO...

It's not so much being "that guy" as being honest, I think. If anyone's going to actually pay $62K for a car (the "buy it now" price), they deserve to have it absolutely perfect. For that price I would expect a bit more, like the points about the gages, shifter, interior in general ... and some other things that are taste-based.

Your points notwithstanding, when I read the ad, I was most impressed by the engine upgrades and how similar it was to what Series9 did with the 3.2 we had for my car. In my case, it's hard not to compare a car like this to the current build he is doing for me. I'll let that car speak for itself when it's done. smile.gif
Cupomeat
I am not sure about the color scheme either but it is a very nice looking car, and presents itself very well and aggressively.

A couple of thoughts;
1. No parking brake unless it is a line loc system (as Mepstein questioned) so it technically won't pass inspection
2. Yes, the seat and back pad treatments does look low rent. Perfect for a track car but as this has no roll cage in it, I am not sure it is supposed to be a track car.
3. I could see it going for $35k as to recreate it with today's labor rates and amount of time it would take would surpass that figure, even with a perfect donor car.
4. 901 trans? I can't see it lasting too long if that 3.2 does put out 300hp, even with a 904 main shaft (which I doubt they put in, as they don't mention it).
5. It does have the stock oil temp gauge, but no lines to say what temp it actually is.
6. $20k for a 3.2 engine rebuild? Seems a little high unless they replaced everything, which they may have.

But, all in all, Hell, I wouldn't ask it to leave my garage, unless I was driving it...
It sure would be a fun car and would give me enough projects left to do to connect with it.
mepstein
I have a 3.2 that was rebuilt with euro spec compression, nickasil cylinders, forged pistons, 964 cams, custom mapped steve wong chip, slightly stiffer valve springs and it dyno'd at just shy of 250. Wonder where they got the extra 50hp using what looks like the stock FI?
Dr Evil
No mention of the gears and gearbox. dry.gif I agree with the dissenters. No way $60k+.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 24 2012, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 24 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Recaro SPG

I was kinda joking. With the huge script both front and back, they are a bit over-branded for my taste. But this is a very nice car, and I hope it does well. It is all to easy to nitpick anything other than a completely original car, as everyone's taste is different. That is what makes the world go around, and if it wasn't that way, we would all be driving a Prius or something similar. I just realized that I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see the word Prius. barf.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 25 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I just realized that I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see the word Prius.
Because you can't spell Prius without 'pus'. Ew.
MoveQik
Jeezus....this car in nicer than 95% of the cars owned by us on this site and you guys still pick it apart. dry.gif

I hope he gets top dollar for it.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jul 26 2012, 09:09 AM) *

Jeezus....this car in nicer than 95% of the cars owned by us on this site and you guys still pick it apart. dry.gif

Ya, well, there are typically two camps sounding off. One that hopes it gets that ridiculous asking price because that would make our cars more valuable, and might make them happier to own such a car. The other is the camp I belong to that don't want to see these cars become stupid expensive as we like to buy them and work on them. The asking price on this car is obscene and commands perfection, wich it does not deliver.

With Scotty b's help, we could do a better job for less. This is the metric I use.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 26 2012, 06:42 AM) *

Ya, well, there are typically two camps sounding off. One that hopes it gets that ridiculous asking price because that would make our cars more valuable, and might make them happier to own such a car. The other is the camp I belong to that don't want to see these cars become stupid expensive as we like to buy them and work on them. The asking price on this car is obscene and commands perfection, wich it does not deliver.

With Scotty b's help, we could do a better job for less. This is the metric I use.

I think my point was missed here...I was just simply pointing out that this is an incredibly nice 914 by most standards. Honestly, it is nicer than the 914's that most of us own. It may not be the way that we would build it but it is still a VERY nice car. If this car pulled into an event, we would all check it out, ask questions and commend the owner on a great build. Online however, people can't jump on it quick enough and it gets nitpicked down to the fact that it "might not" have a parking brake??? Just seems ridiculous.

As for the price? Its eBay, everyone shoots for the moon. rolleyes.gif
Katmanken
I guess the "glitter" made you guys look right over this small problem.

Did you notice that the floor of the car has been crunched along the tranny tunnel?

That's right where the throttle cable, clutch cable, parts of the wiring harness and the shift rod run.

The movers did that to my car when I moved up from NC and offered to take a slide hammmer to it. sad.gif mad.gif

Or, you can have them add a new floor section... biggrin.gif

Seriously, nice looking clean car, but wonder if the owner knows about the underbody dent???
mepstein
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jul 26 2012, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 26 2012, 06:42 AM) *

I think my point was missed here...I was just simply pointing out that this is an incredibly nice 914 by most standards. Honestly, it is nicer than the 914's that most of us own. It may not be the way that we would build it but it is still a VERY nice car. If this car pulled into an event, we would all check it out, ask questions and commend the owner on a great build. Online however, people can't jump on it quick enough and it gets nitpicked down to the fact that it "might not" have a parking brake??? Just seems ridiculous.

As for the price? Its eBay, everyone shoots for the moon. rolleyes.gif

If this car was at an event, I would have only nice things to say about it. Same if someone posted online and said - Here's my car. Ebay is a public commerce site so I do believe there is a difference when it comes to comments. Personally, I don't think the build justifies the price. McMark, Scotty B, Joe O'Brian and many others could all build 2X the car for the money.

I did see the dent. There is no detail to the build so who knows what is under the paint. I know all too well that "beauty is only skin deep" when it comes to 914's.
PRS914-6
We could all find little things to pick at based on your pet peeves but if he had someone else do all the work, I guarantee he is taking a loss at the asking price. I have had numerous talks with PMS and you would be shocked at what it cost for a shop to do that kind of work. It's time to pull out your receipts and add up what you have in your car with you doing the labor......It even hurts to do that blink.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 26 2012, 06:52 PM) *

We could all find little things to pick at based on your pet peeves but if he had someone else do all the work, I guarantee he is taking a loss at the asking price. I have had numerous talks with PMS and you would be shocked at what it cost for a shop to do that kind of work. It's time to pull out your receipts and add up what you have in your car with you doing the labor......It even hurts to do that blink.gif

agree.gif without question. It is very difficult to do a quality restoration on a car, ANY car, and make money on it. It is even more difficult to build a hot-rod to YOUR tastes, and try to make money on it. If it were a '57 Chevy or a '65 Mustang, there would be a much larger pool of potential buyers, but with a 914, you will need to find the only other guy in the world who shares and appreciates your vision.

I would love to own this car, and I would probably pay about 1/3 of the asking price, but then I would sink another $5k to make it the way I would want it.

That is why I am building my car for me. I plan for it to be part of my estate. I am not worried about losing money on it because I never plan on selling it. I have enjoyed owning it. I enjoy acquiring parts for it. I enjoy putting those parts on it and when I get the time and money to take it to the next level, I will enjoy it even more. I don't see it as an investment - it is a hobby and a love. Hopefully, it will stay in my family after I am gone, but if not, maybe there will be a "barn find" thread here about it someday. sunglasses.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I really want the car !!!! I will plan to bid on it !

Can someone tell me the procedure to BID on it,with out any money????

I get it now 1 of you guys will lend the nessary funds to a broke 74 yr.old

retired Barber. Just P.M. me and I,ll start the bidding process.

Thank you very much ! Breathlessly waiting! Dave

P.S. As an insentive you will win a weekend with my avatar !!!
EdwardBlume
agree.gif
We are all advanced degree 914 experts with a virtuoso of concours judging points... Like anything, buyer caveat. Or in this likely case, euro buyer caveat!
6freak
$62.000 not on its best day... JMO

smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 27 2012, 05:36 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

P.S. As an insentive you will win a weekend with my avatar !!!

Define weekend. When does it start and end?

Rich
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Rich: The weekend is defined as , " From 4:00 P.M. Fri. untill you have been

rendered unconscious for at least 1 HR." Pick a date. A word of warning

the last guy was removed to assisted living ,but died a week later. With

the biggest SMILE the undertaker had ever seen in his 30 + yrs. of

experience ! You takes your chanches!!! Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.