Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 books
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Noodles
Found a few books on 914 and was wondering if anyone else has them and thought they were a good buy and informative. The books are over at auto atlanta and are called TECH TIPS 700 FOR PORSCHE 914 BY DR. 914 and 914/4, 914/6 REPAIR HANDBOOK; 914 1970-76.

I also found this PAPER CATALOG FOR PORSCHE; 914 1970-76
GCAT914 - but after further reading on it, I believe its just a CD and you have to print out the material.

I already have the haynes book and was just wondering if I would find anything else of value.
ape914
i use many referances for my 914, the Haynes is a good mainstay, but it dont have everything I'd get them if i didn't already have them.
Steve
The AA tech tips is a good book, Haynes 914 and the factory manuals are very useful. The PET parts book is also good.
Noodles
Thats the answer I was looking for! I'll order em up thanks for the quick replys!
6freak
QUOTE(Noodles @ Jul 25 2012, 03:44 PM) *

Found a few books on 914 and was wondering if anyone else has them and thought they were a good buy and informative. The books are over at auto atlanta and are called TECH TIPS 700 FOR PORSCHE 914 BY DR. 914 and 914/4, 914/6 REPAIR HANDBOOK; 914 1970-76.

I also found this PAPER CATALOG FOR PORSCHE; 914 1970-76
GCAT914 - but after further reading on it, I believe its just a CD and you have to print out the material.

I already have the haynes book and was just wondering if I would find anything else of value.

From AA lol-2.gif ...you`ll find out for yourself sheeplove.gif ..I cant warn you or I will get the boot and I might already ..

flag.gif
carr914
The Book by Dr Douch is pretty good, just don't Order it from him.
tscrihfield
Hey guys,
I am not trying to hijack this thread or anything just have question. I notice that many folks speak unkind about AA. I don't mind either way, I have only ordered just a few things from him with good results. Can anyone clue me in on what is so bad about them? Forgive my ignorance, I may just be too young to know because what may have happened in the past and I am only a few years into my teener addiction.

Please don't turn this into a hate AA thread just a question because I've thought about ordering the same books for at least a collection piece.

Thomas
carr914
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 26 2012, 05:30 PM) *

Hey guys,
I am not trying to hijack this thread or anything just have question. I notice that many folks speak unkind about AA. I don't mind either way, I have only ordered just a few things from him with good results. Can anyone clue me in on what is so bad about them? Forgive my ignorance, I may just be too young to know because what may have happened in the past and I am only a few years into my teener addiction.

Please don't turn this into a hate AA thread just a question because I've thought about ordering the same books for at least a collection piece.

Thomas

This is better answered by you doing a Search here. Your question just begs for a Bash Session smash.gif
bigkensteele
agree.gif This is one pot that needs no more stirring. Thomas, PM or call me if you want a brief history/rundown.
pcar916
The best history I've found is in the Porsche: Excellence was Expected books. There's an entire chapter about the 914 saga.
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2012, 03:04 PM) *

Hey guys,

Thomas

This is better answered by you doing a Search here. Your question just begs for a Bash Session smash.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Correct, many of us, who have been playing with 914s for the last 30+ years learned the hard way about aa (there was not Net to warn us) and he has been given many chances to redeem himself & aa, every time he has screwed more people.. I have one of his 1st Tech Tip books, but it wasn't a book, it was photo copied pages stapled together with such brilliant incites as
If your car is pulling to the side, check your tire inflation
and every other tip was to call aa
for a part..
tscrihfield
Fair enough... I have seen and heard a few things, but knew nothing first hand. You gotta admit that the call AA for parts bit was clever for weak minded fellows. Maybe Obi wan would be A well suited name eh!? lol-2.gif

I just was curious because George has been very helpful to me with parts here and there for quarky bits and well priced too. Maybe he's trying to resurrect the business?? Who knows I am glad that there are a growing number of folks who have contributed to the cars and hard parts.

Now back to the books. Anyone have this one?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%22%20softbound

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 26 2012, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2012, 03:04 PM) *

Hey guys,

Thomas

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Correct, many of us, who have been playing with 914s for the last 30+ years learned the hard way about aa (there was not Net to warn us) and he has been given many chances to redeem himself & aa, every time he has screwed more people.. I have one of his 1st Tech Tip books, but it wasn't a book, it was photo copied pages stapled together with such brilliant incites as
If your car is pulling to the side, check your tire inflation
and every other tip was to call aa
for a part..

carr914
You know the Best Resource for Knowledge & Tips is RIGHT HERE! With the Internet ( Thanks Al Gore), we don't need No Stinkin Books 150.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 26 2012, 07:42 PM) *

Now back to the books. Anyone have this one?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%22%20softbound

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I'm not sure what book that is. I think it might be a copy of the now NLA "little spec book". If so, it has torque values, measuring tolerances, and other little bits of info in it. Nice to have, and there may be a couple of things in it which you can't actually dig out of the Haynes or the regular factory workshop manual.

The Haynes book is about the best manual that most of us can afford. It contains about 85% of the words and pictures directly from the factory manual, for less than a tenth of the price.

The Clymer manual (now printed by Lash International) is a slightly different perspective than Haynes. Most of the info is the same, but there are a few differences. The main one is that it does have some information specific to the Six; the Haynes is only for the four-cylinder cars.

The Tech Tips book is actually pretty decent. There are a "few" ads in it, and some of the tips are repeats, but even information like "if your car pulls to one side check your tire pressures" is good to have. And it does have lots of little tips and tricks.

The subject of AA is probably the easiest way to start an argument on a 914 BBS. I will not comment any further, particularly because of my association with Pelican Parts.

--DD
bandjoey
Books on DVD. Get Dr Evils transmission rebuild and aircooled techs motor overhaul.
kerensky
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 26 2012, 08:32 PM) *
The Haynes book is about the best manual that most of us can afford. ... The Clymer manual (now printed by Lash International) is a slightly different perspective than Haynes. ...

So, I wonder why Bentley Publishers never did a 914 manual? Their VW manuals absolutely blow Haynes' stuff out of the water, much more complete, better documented and researched. Probably Porsche's lawyers yet again. tongue.gif
DBCooper
Good thread, and interesting changes. Years ago (around the time of the split) I was chastised for mentioning my experience with AA (not even bashing) and was told to never say anything negative about any vendor. (I still have that moron on my "ignore" list) People come to boards for information, to benefit from our shared experience, so it's good that we can apparently now give the new folks a heads-up. Not bashing, just a heads-up. It would be a shame if everyone new to these cars had to repeat all our same mistakes all over again.
JeffBowlsby
I have complete a list of 914-related books mostly general interest/history type books here: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Books.htm

For more technical info, I find the BOSCH reference manuals the most interesting, most of these are available here for free download: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Really great reading is the Service and Training Manuals from each model year. These were factory publicaitons that indicated the differences from the previous years, lots of good detail. The 1971 914/6 and 1973 manuals are superb. Hard to find though. I wish I could put them on my site for all, but they are copyrighted. Here is a list: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Manuals.htm
billh1963
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2012, 12:32 AM) *

[
The Haynes book is about the best manual that most of us can afford. It contains about 85% of the words and pictures directly from the factory manual, for less than a tenth of the price.

Not sure I agree with you there. I have the Haynes manual and an original Clymer manual. I thought that they were both ok until I managed to buy a complete factory manual set. The difference is night and day. There is so much more information in the factory manuals (e.g. the color foldout wiring diagrams) that it's hard to even look at a Haynes manual.
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 26 2012, 06:16 PM) *

agree.gif This is one pot that needs no more stirring. Thomas, PM or call me if you want a brief history/rundown.

BKS, I'm sure you have many stories to tell, however, you didn't work for "Dr. 914" for 2 years. *I've* got stories...

If anyone wants an interesting tidbit, just let me know.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 27 2012, 08:14 AM) *

Not sure I agree with you there. I have the Haynes manual and an original Clymer manual. I thought that they were both ok until I managed to buy a complete factory manual set. The difference is night and day.

Pick a procedure in Haynes. Then look that procedure up in the factory manual. Check the photographs associated with that procedure. (It can take a while to find them in Haynes.) Notice that the wording is identical, and the photos are identical.

Some printings of the factory manuals have B&W wiring diagrams instead of full-color. Just like Haynes.

I stand by my statement--Haynes has about 85% of the info from the factory books, and is less than 10% of the price. It's good to have on hand.

The factory books are obviously the largest single printed source, there is no arguing with that. They're not great (Honda, for example, makes better ones) but they are pretty much as good as you get in print. But they're somewhere between $300 and $400. At less than $20, Haynes is really very good to have. It's also a lot easier to carry around than the factory's 8-binder set. Plus you don't have to feel guilty about getting grease stains on the pages.

That said, the absolute best source of information on the 914 is this forum. And it's free to use.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Jul 27 2012, 11:42 AM) *

BKS, I'm sure you have many stories to tell, however, you didn't work for "Dr. 914" for 2 years. *I've* got stories...

You have to write it all up and post off the world site.
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2012, 12:10 PM) *

Come out to P2O, and buy me a beer or 5. I'll be much more open to conversation, then.
tscrihfield
I will see you there!

QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Jul 27 2012, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2012, 12:10 PM) *

Come out to P2O, and buy me a beer or 5. I'll be much more open to conversation, then.

rmital
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 27 2012, 10:53 AM) *

For more technical info, I find the BOSCH reference manuals the most interesting, most of these are available here for free download: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

...holy crap...that's an amazing amount of information in one place. flag.gif
excellent stuff Jeff! first.gif
ConeDodger
Say what you will about George, his later 700 Tech Tips usually points you in the direction you need to go... I rarely use it now but it was good for that 10 years ago when I first bought my car...
markb
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 28 2012, 08:04 AM) *

Say what you will about George, his later 700 Tech Tips usually points you in the direction you need to go... I rarely use it now but it was good for that 10 years ago when I first bought my car...

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.