Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another 914-6 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71 sixer
This is purely a FYI post as I am not familiar with the car.

I did notice something very unusal. Take a look at the CARDEX. It states the car was equipment with a wood steering wheel. I acknowledge the accuracy of CARDEX's have been questioned alot recently, but...........is anyone on the list familiar with a 914-6 with a wood steering wheel from the factory?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewIt...em=160852604301
casey944
not a fan of the turns up front but that is a heck of an advert.
drgchapman
Shouldn't the headlight surrounds be white?

ArtechnikA
Not to be nitpicky, but that's not a Kardex - it's a PCNA COA.
More to the point of your question - I've never seen a factory wood wheel in any 900-series Porsche, but I don't claim to have seen them all.
But with Porsche, you never say never, and almost anything could be special-ordered. Somewhere someone has (I believe) documented the known Porsche option numbers. If there's an option number for it, someone could for sure check the box...
Isn't that Joe Sharps six,It was for sale at the last Phoenix Club Porsche meet??
Al Meredith
Stock alloys were 14" and I to believe the headlight surounds should be white
smj
Looks like they've at least taken the shift boot from something with a tower. The hand throttle does still peek out from the front, so I'm thinking it's just the boot...
KELTY360
The COA states the color as Signal Orange but the written presentation cleverly states it was painted factory code L 98P Metallic Blue, without stating that L 98P was the original color of this car. Would have liked to see a pic of the door tag with the color code.

Also, was the chrome bumper available alone, outside of the appearance group? The COA did not mention those specific features.
jim_hoyland
That is Joe's six, Beauty. Looks like the new buyer did some work on her.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 25 2012, 08:16 PM) *

Also, was the chrome bumper available alone, outside of the appearance group? The COA did not mention those specific features.

"all" 6's came with the appearance group, which included chrome bumpers.
JoeSharp
Yes, 1291 was my car for 8 years and I did sell it at the Phoenix Club event for $20K. From the photos it looks like they painted the car. She was orange from the factory and had the original engine case numbers when I sold her per the COA.
Great car. Never let me down. I would get in her and drive her anywhere.
JoeSharp
Read the add. av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 25 2012, 05:38 PM) *

Could you order a targa vinyl delete or wasn't targa vinyl included in the appearance group for -6's?
GeorgeRud
The shift boot looks like it's from a 915 shift console. Perhaps it's been converted?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 25 2012, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 25 2012, 05:38 PM) *

Could you order a targa vinyl delete or wasn't targa vinyl included in the appearance group for -6's?

Actually, many early 911s had wood wheels. Mostly pre 68. They were pretty big in diameter though. Some were steel spokes some were aluminum spokes.
The wheel in the car looks awfully aftermarket to me.
The list of non- original things on this car is pretty long. But....... It sure is pretty!
Cairo94507
Beautiful car with some liberties taken along the way. Regardless, it is very clean. That's a $40K+ car.
Michael N
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 25 2012, 05:08 PM) *

Read the add. av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Joe are you the Dos Equis man?

"Owned by a well-to-do Porsche racer from sunny Orange County, this particular 914-6 was mainly used as a personal "grocery getter" during race weekends, traveling on the upper deck of a very expensive, 2-story trailer to the most famous race tracks in the country and shuttling its owner to the Motel and back. California vanity plate is included in the sale. "

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 25 2012, 09:23 PM) *

I believe there was 'the' Appearance Group. I couldn't tell you if it was all installed at Karmann or done (in the case of /6's) on the line at Zuffenhausen.

Especially in the case of a color-change car, more likely it was done (i.e. not re-installed) at the paint shop. All speculation and conjecture on my part. Removing the vinyl from a /6 is not trivial and unlikely to be done on a whim. If you have to take it off for a repaint, it's an easier question to leave it off.

So - 'Could' you delete just the vinyl from a /6? The real answer is i donno. But since - in 1970 - the Appearance Group vinyl was a clue - obviously not definitive but another clue - that you had a /6 and not a 1,7 - I'd guess few owners had much incentive to do so.
JMKnight
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jul 25 2012, 03:39 PM) *

Shouldn't the headlight surrounds be white?

Yes
JMKnight
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 25 2012, 03:59 PM) *

Stock alloys were 14" and I to believe the headlight surounds should be white

sounds correct Al
6freak
First and formost ,very very nice car first.gif..... look real close at the #`s on the back of the car confused24.gif ..shouldnt it be gold in color ..and appears to be two pieces

smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 25 2012, 04:16 PM) *

The COA states the color as Signal Orange but the written presentation cleverly states it was painted factory code L 98P Metallic Blue, without stating that L 98P was the original color of this car. Would have liked to see a pic of the door tag with the color code.

I somehow had the idea that Porsche painted the undersides in body color. Not so? It looks like this one is done with black undercoating, while I would have expected the chip guard, where present, to be under the paint. Did any come stock matte black underneath?
toolguy
Six's came standard with the roll bar covered. . also six's did not come from the factory with 6 inch Fuch's. . if you got Fuchs from the factory they were 14 x 5.5 rims. .

Lot's of incorrect details missing for a car that has so much advertisement. .
Wow.. Sold for $39334.00...
sixnotfour
Now, We know Joe sold it for 20k not long ago...How much time/money did they invest in the -6 to clean it up ??
It needed some paint work, So did they paint the whole car ??

5k paint job
1k detail job
?? what else
JoeSharp
They did not paint the front trunk but did the rear.
Joe,
Can you give us some insight on what they did to your Six to get that
kind of $. I met you at the Porsche meet when it was for sale..
JoeSharp
Looks to me like they did touch-up on the paint because I saw some scratchs in the front trunk area and the rear had some work done in there. I'm sure it was easer to do the touch-up than to do a repaint. When I talked to them he said that he wanted to do it orange but could not get over it in that blue. I don't think that they put more than $25k in the car and had the reserve set at $35K. I thought that I sold the car just right and that they think they scored. KOOL. If the new owner wants to talk to me I will be happy to tell him what I know about the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.