Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WHAT THE ????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
driver66
2YEARS INTO 914'S ,BUT ALL MY LIFE IN MECHANICS. IVE BEEN GETTING BAD FEEDBACK FROM MY FRONT END TO MY STEERING WHEEL. NOW KEEP IN MIND I NEED TIRES . SO, IM LOOKING FOR BAD TIERODS OR ANYTHING THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THIS PROBLEM,YESTERDAY I LIFTED THE DRIVERS FRONT TIRE LEAVING THE OTHER DOWN AND BEGAN ROCKING THE WHEEL FROM THE 9OCLOCK AND 3 O-CLOCK POSITIONS AND LEARNED THAT BOTH WERE MOVEING WITH LITTLE OR NO PLAY,THE PLAY WAS IN THE FEED BACK TO THE LOCKED STEARING WHEEL.,,,,,,SO MY QUESTION IS ,IS THIS NORMAL TO 914 RACKS OR IS MINE WORE OUT??HOW MUCH PLAY SHOULD YOU HAVE THERE? AND THERE PROBLY IS NO ADJUSTMENT IS THERE?????
ChrisFoley
There are 2 u-joints in the steering linkage which may have some play.
Lawrence
Hi Driver66... welcome to the BBS!!

You might be looking at loose/worn wheel bearings.

/edited - Sorry... Didn't read that correctly. Nix the worn bearings./

Worn steering rack? Rare, but it happens. How are your tie-rod ends? If they're showing signs of slop, a upgrade to the Turbo Tie-Rod kit can really tighten things up.

Has your car been lowered from stock? If so, was the bump-steer kit installed? That will correct the suspension geometry and you won't feel the steering wheel jerk everytime you hit a bump.

-Rusty
JWest
There should be almost no play in a good 914 rack. They are not really prone to wear either. You could have a damaged rack, worn or loose u-joints, loose rack mount bolts, bad inner tie-rod bushings (they are rubber), bad outer tie-rods, or loose wheel bearings.

I think you will find the problem if you go through the system one piece at a time, as it is pretty simple and direct.
Jeffs9146
Mine did that when I first bought it and it turned out to be set at a nutral point in the ride height with bump steer adjusters installed. When I adjusteed the torsion bar adjuster arms, so I could lower it more, the slop went away.

Jeff
Gint
Hey driver66, welcome to the board.

I have to ask you this though. If you're not going to fully utilize your keybpard, would you at least type in lower case?

How about posting some pics of your 914 in the Members 914 pictures thread?
driver66
thanks for the input , im gonna go after it w/diff tires and lower my front end this weekend and see if that clears it up fist, does anyone have a set of 140 rears that are in good shape they are looking to part with??? last question what will hurt if i drop to a smaller tire in the front ?? ,,,,,so this is were ill start ,but i need all the suspension gone threw...thanks again
Bleyseng
There are some 140's for sale in the Classifieds.
As memtioned, check your U joint and the tie rods/rubber connections for slop.
Geoff
driver66
ok,my bushings are out on the tie rods were they hook up to the rack,....can a person buy the bushings or would i be better off getting turbo tie rods,will they come with the bushings????????thanks again
rhodyguy
the ttr's eliminate those stupid rubber bushings all together. do not dilly dally around if you're going to put new tires on. if the front end is screwed up you'll be ruining them in short order, the tires that is.

kevin
Gint
I wouldn't even bother getting bushings for the stock tie rods. Get the Turbo's.
driver66
thanks again.............getting tires tuesday. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.