Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cap for return line on fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
My car will use carbs. I need a permanent cap for the return line at the tank. I am also using the POR tank restoration kit, so I want to pull and cap both the supply and return lines in the tank for that process anyway. Does anyone have a part number from McMaster or another vendor for threaded caps I can use to close off the tank?

TIA
r_towle
I believe the threads match an AN fitting...
Not completely sure,.

Otherwise, get a tap and thread the inside of the bung on the tank for an NPT plug, and off you go.

rich
brant
I know I have personally chimed in on a thousand threads about this...

but really a return on carbs is better than not having a return
for a lot of reasons. (some of which are to reduce or help with fuel heat, fuel boil, and fuel vapor lock, produce cooler fuel and more power, etc.)
SLITS
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 26 2012, 11:48 AM) *

I know I have personally chimed in on a thousand threads about this...

but really a return on carbs is better than not having a return
for a lot of reasons. (some of which are to reduce or help with fuel heat, fuel boil, and fuel vapor lock, produce cooler fuel and more power, etc.)

agree.gif with Bernat!
ThePaintedMan
SLITS, brant, or someone else perhaps: do you know of a good thread to show how this is done with Weber 40s? I wouldn't know where to pull the excess fuel to route back to the tank. As of right now, mine are set up to go directly to the carb, thats it.
shuie
I only have the single supply side hard fuel line in the tunnel right now. My pump is a low pressure off the shelf unit with a single inlet and outlet. This stuff is all brand new and was configured and sourced specifically for a carb car from a good knowledgeable shop.

If you guys think I need the return line then I guess I want to look into it. I honestly didn't know anyone used a return line w/carbs. How do I run the return line? Do I just T off of the carb manifold and go back through the tunnel and into the tank Do I need a fuel pump with a check valve like on a Motronic car?
ChrisFoley
We use a short piece of 5/16" fuel hose, with a short piece of 5/16" rod (bolt shank) inserted and secured with hose clamps.
shuie
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 26 2012, 02:37 PM) *

We use a short piece of 5/16" fuel hose, with a short piece of 5/16" rod (bolt shank) inserted and secured with hose clamps.

That sounds like it would work perfect for me. Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 26 2012, 02:37 PM) *

That woul be my method also. agree.gif
brant
there is a nice diagram in this thread:

I know I "borrowed" that diagram years ago from someone in a thread about this subject.

I know its been discussed over and over, I just don't save threads..
return fuel plumbing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.