Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has an idea on how to restore the Fuzzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
My 1970 has the center cushion that sits in the tray between the seats. . It has a 'fuzzy' black material on the bottom that is slowly deteriorating every time I move it around. . Looks like it is something sprayed on; not a fabric material. . . anyone have an idea on how to restore it to the OEM finish??
TheCabinetmaker
We use some stuff in the cabinet shop called flocking. You apply some black glue and spray on some black fibers.its actually microscopic pieces of black pvc. Looks like black felt. We use it for jewelery drawer interiors.
bigkensteele
I was looking into this as well. Cabinetmaker might chime in about flocking. That seems to me to be the best approach. Google "flocking" and let me know if you don't agree. Making it durable enough for the task is my concern.
toolguy
OK I've heard of flocking, but I've never heard of a flocking store. . were would I find a business that does something like that ??
Bullethead
http://www.donjer.com/
r_towle
Hobby center has flocking, it's used extensively in modeling
bigkensteele
It would be a DYI project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFjorzlI3k
TheCabinetmaker
The glue is thick and sticky like por15. We also use it in silver ware drawers for hutches with real silver. Started using it a couple of years ago. We have had zero complaints about durability.
ThePaintedMan
Sounds like an opportunity for Curt to make some money! Send it to him?
TheCabinetmaker
Here's the products I've used with good success. never used it on something soft. I have a few old cushions for the plastic tray. I guess I could do part of one and post some before and after pics.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bigkensteele
I think that flocking is a good solution, but preparing the cushion and finding the right adhesive are key. My cushion is kind of crumbling, so I need to get it down to a good, uniform substrate. However, the key will be to find an adhesive that will not degrade the foam, be it immediately or over time.

Ken Wales, please chime in with your CE knowledge and witty bantor!
maf914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 26 2012, 07:15 PM) *

Hobby center has flocking, it's used extensively in modeling

I occassionaly fiddle around with model cars, and although I have never used flocking, it is used to simulate carpeting in model car interiors. I would question the durability of it when used on the center pad, but I really don't know.
Katmanken
I've used flocking in shop class and was amazed that the little fuzzy's were all lined up after being sprayed on. Then tried sprinkling some onto the paint, and they glued down every which way. That told me you need the sprayer to get the uniform "fuzziness". It seems the flocking "lines up" in the air jet as it is sprayed out of the pump. As per the factory flocking, is it glued to the foam?

Ken, if your foam is degrading, it will never get better. Can you cut a new piece out of a foam block? Glue fabric on the bottom of the old one to make a smooth surface which can them be flocked? For foam, I'd think a latex paint may be a good base coat, it's really a plastic with poor structural characteristics.

To cut a foam shape smoothly and effortlessly, a bandsaw works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.