Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interesting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underdog
I just found a copy of VW&PORSCHE magazine, Dec. '80 issue. It has a tech article with pics how to replace a teener clutch.

First paragraph sez, " one item that should be purchased before you start the job is a wooden pilot shaft that can be purchased at most automotive stores ".
Anybody have one?
Cupomeat
I might have one in my tool box in NY, but any clutch centering tool will work.
underdog
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 27 2012, 10:27 AM) *

I don't want one just wanted to see who knew about the wooden tool.
76-914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 27 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Not true, I'll send you one that "won't" fit if you'd like. The tool needs to have the correct diameter to fit the flywheel and the correct spline pattern to match your pressure plate. Most of our major vendors sell them.
SLITS
Before plastic, they were cut from wood. Of course a real mechanic would pull the input shaft of a transmission.
TheCabinetmaker
I have a wooden one. Made it myself. Go figure!
mhuber45
I have one that is older than I am tha my dad used on formula V's back in the 70's
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 27 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Before plastic, they were cut from wood. Of course a real mechanic would pull the input shaft of a transmission.

A real mechanic just does it by eye... smile.gif
Then wiggle the damn thing till it fits....

Kinda like sex.
rnellums
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 27 2012, 03:08 PM) *

agree.gif mine was cut off a broken transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.