Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chassis number games?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
On my 74 914, the number stamped in the right corner of the rear trunk is 3839577. As I understand it, this decodes as follows:

38 = built in the 38th week of the model year production
3 = 3rd day of that week (Wednesday)
9 = factory location
577 = 577th car off the line in the run

On the metal plate inside the front door, the number is 3739577, which would be all the same info except the build week. Seems like too much of a coincidence that the two nembers could be all the same, but came from different cars EXACTLY one week apart. This car was off the road due to collision damage (I suppose) from 1978 to 2007, but the damage was never repaired until I did it in 2007, and I didn't buy new trunk or data plates.

Any ideas on this?
SirAndy
QUOTE(timofly @ Jul 27 2012, 02:06 PM) *
Any ideas on this?

Since the stampings were all done by hand, someone probably had a beer too many before they got around to stamping your car ...
drunk.gif
ape914

On my 74 914, the number stamped in the right corner of the rear trunk is 3839577. As I understand it, this decodes as follows:

9 = factory location

On the metal plate inside the front door, the number is 3739577, which would be all the same info except the build week. Seems like too much of a coincidence that the two nembers could be all the same, but came from different cars EXACTLY one week apart. This car was off the road due to collision damage (I suppose) from 1978 to 2007, but the damage was never repaired until I did it in 2007, and I didn't buy new trunk or data plates.

Any ideas on this?

typo error likely, do NOT let this typo on to any cop, or DMV person, could cost you a bunch of hurt. Had a simular typo on a other car, royal paint to deal with.

If the wrong number comes up as stolen, you could lose your car, or half of it anyway, even if the theft was 30 years ago.

so it is a typo but please shut up about it to any authorities.
914_teener
typo error likely, do NOT let this typo on to any cop, or DMV person, could cost you a bunch of hurt. Had a simular typo on a other car, royal paint to deal with.

If the wrong number comes up as stolen, you could lose your car, or half of it anyway, even if the theft was 30 years ago.

so it is a typo but please shut up about it to any authorities.

blink.gif shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
THE MAN only tracks VINs...not chassis numbers or paint codes. No worries its only a trivia item now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetbreaker @ Jul 29 2012, 08:40 AM) *

but I have had the DMV question the VIN when they dont match with the chassis stamp.

Chassis stamping of the VIN and chassis number are *not* the same.

The chassis number has no direct relation to the VIN and they can not be "matched".
shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, you know thats not me right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 29 2012, 10:34 AM) *

Yes ... dry.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 29 2012, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 29 2012, 10:34 AM) *

Yes ... dry.gif

Than who is it? Creepy... WTF.gif
ape914
No not cabinet maker, but cabinet breaker. long story but it is curts (cabinet maker) personal war on me. sorry that they cant keep him and his attacks off the garage. I simply changed my user name to be close enough his, so he wouldn't make fun of it and me.
Curt was the guy who started this personal attack (under his old user name VSG blah blah blah something"), making fun of my old user name etc... via use of his "personnal saying" which appeared on all his posts, but that was years ago. He dont want a truce, that has been offered. He just gets in a tizzy once and a while and goes off on me. He penned an entire post about his hate for me,and made fun of the truce offer to keep this war off the board, which I privately sent him. He personally hates me and cant stop venting, been going on years now . He has protection. I dont deal with him any more.

At anyrate, back on subject.....

Yes the authorities, can question chassis numbers that include a unique part of the VIN. Porsche has put many hidden partial numbers on body panels well before the 914 was made. Police know about this, and if they find something that dont match up, but does match up as stolen, they ask lots of questions.

I have had this happen during an inspection on my car, and the error was determined to be a typo, and yes it was the stamped chassis number that was in question.

police are real good about tracing stolen cars, even if the cars have been chopped up. You hope the number that is a typo error never matches up with a stolen cars unique serial number during an inspection.
ape914
thinking about it a little more, you could maybe have some one that knows these cars, that is a manager or something at a Porsche dealership, or Porsche club Officier, examine your car and write a certification that the car does not have any evidence of being sectioned, that all other "hidden" serial numbers are correct, and that in his/her opinion the number in eror is likely a typo mistake from the factory.

i had a 914, early 1970 (about first month of production) and it ws factory tagged as a US EPA version, yet the car never ever had any vapour recovery system install, no body holes punched for the hoses to pass thru, no hoses, no brackets, even the boss for the vent hose on fan housing never drilled out.

At anyrate Porsche N. America Office, upon my request wrote me a letter that my cars serial number was indeed specified as a US EPA car!

Back in the day, Porsche's record and serial number system had some record keeping issues, typo's.
Tom_T

9 = factory location

Any ideas on this?

Timo,

Chassis no. is 95 for factory at Karmann
77th car of the line that day (96 above would've meant 177)

It could be a stamping error or typo on the trunk or Karmann plate, or one of the two were changed at some point for a repair and have a close match - or maybe somebody bought a blank plate to try to match a patched in trunk floor & screwed up their own shenanigans!? ...hard to say? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.