Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RACEING STORIES
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
driver66
ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD RACEING STORIES??? IM TALKING ROAD RAGE ,THE KIND THAT TAKES PLACE ON THE ROAD ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK. I KNOW ABOUT THE DRIVEING SAFE ISSUES,BUT DAMN THE RICE BURNERS!!!!!!WHAT KINDS OF CARS HAVE THE 914'S SMOKED??????
givory
As someone whose daughter might be in the car coming the other way, I would hope you're taking any aggressive "DRIVEING" to the "RACEING" track - but even then, please vent the "ROAD RAGE" in the gym.
Gavin
Curvie Roadlover
And take off your Caps lock!
Bleyseng
When I first got my car, I smoked everyone! Damn thing was burning oil like crazy! I was putting in 2 cans of No Smoke a month just so I could drive it down the road.

Nowdays, I smoke guys at the AX mostly 911's and 944's. My son races at the SCCA AX's and beats the VW's, BMW's etc.
Geoff
jdogg
I was one of those teenage punks racing around the streets in a hopped up mustang until I started doing a little oval track racing when I was 19. I quit racing around the streets and started wearing a seat belt all the time. Amazing what happens when you find a proper place to get yer yayas out!!!!!!!!
Now, at 32, I get'em at the AX and at the road course!!!!!!!!!! These yahoos in their rice rigs have no idea.................(let's keep it a secret from 'em!) ph34r.gif
Curvie Roadlover
I was a very "aggressive" driver too. Speeding, quick lane changes, generally being an asshole. This was because I needed an outlet for my "need for speed". I then took up racing - karts - and got that jones satisfied on the track where it's legal and appropriate. My road driving became more civilized since I now had an outlet to drive at the limit. If you want to go fast and kick ass in a car I recommend getting involved in some organised track stuff - AX, DE events, karts etc. where it is appropriate and innocent lives aren't involved. End of rant.
Lawrence
Road Rage?

Yeah, I see a lot of it when I drive the speed limit. Seems that other drivers expect someone driving a Porsche to speed and take the lead in going through a speed trap.

I've been flipped off for driving at/around the speed limit, when someone else wanted to pass.

-Rusty
J P Stein
When I'm in my DD (Mr.2 T), every riceball on the planet wants to get it on. I think AX has mellowed this 60s street racer...or maybe I'm getting old.

I don't street drive the 914 much, but when I do, nobody wants to play.......not that I would biggrin.gif
From the outside, it's pretty quiet.....does look a bit gnarly, tho.
airsix
There seems to be a real culture shift of late. When I was a teen we all wanted fast cars but there wasn't any street racing going on. I work with a youth group now and these kids are allways talking about their weekend street racing (Not these large gatherings you hear about - just stoplight tag stuff, but dangerous none the less). When I was a kid we just went "cruising", but these kids are out actively looking for races. I hope they listen to me. I try to discourage it and convince them that they'll have more fun if they come autocrossing. They show interest but none have shown up for any events. I'll keep trying.

My kids? Whey they come home Fri/Sat night they're going to have to sit down with Dad and we'll review the data-logging together.

-Ben
Scott S
I had the unfortunate experience of wrecking a car in a street solo back in college - lost a wheel on my GTI and went into a ditch then over on it's top. Made me realise real quick how fast something unexpected can lead to very bad results. It's amaizing to me how many folks drive really fast on the highways. You know that the percentage of them who really know what their particular car will do "at the limit" is probably less than on half of one percent - hence all of the idiot fast and furious wanna-be's that kill themselves every year.

Speaking of big tail pipes, blue head light bulbs and type R/sponsorship stickers, the ricers always seem to leave the martini car alone unless it is in a parking lot. I guess I have enough stickers on the car to be left alone!
Zeke
Racing stories? I've got tons of racing stories, but they don't mean much except to me. I'm very thankful for the ability to race at the track, where racing should take place. (as already mentioned more that once) You go to the track and you will have the stories too.

I will tell one story, tho. I was in a Jim Russell FF at Willow Springs so many years ago that I don't think Brad was born yet. About four school cars and maybe 8 students. There was an Indy car (now CART) practicing at the same time. (I told you this was a long time ago). The driver was the late Svede Savage. When he went around me in that poor ass little Ford, I think he sucked my eyeballs out. I've had many people go by me at various speeds over the years, but I'll never forget that!
driver66
maybe I should clear things up im the son of a ridge runner from kentucky [my mother] so iI grew up around muscle cars and road raceing . now my mother has calmed down ,but at one time she had the fastest car in five countys and that was saying something back then. [real good for a 427 nova ] I dont road race, the desire is there ,but scares the hell out of me now. not as bad as the down the mountain raceing ive been around in colorado,but bad enough I dont race on the public roads . the 17 yr old in the honda's w/ nos dont have a clue. but rather than race em on the street ,id like to get em in my car and just scare the hell out of em. the worst problem here is there is no where to run your cars that i no of.
URY914
Zeke,
Svede Savage!?! He was killed at Indy in '72.
You must be really old or you started in FF when you were 5 years old!! driving.gif

Paul
Zeke
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 15 2003, 04:57 AM)
Zeke,
Svede Savage!?! He was killed at Indy in '72.
You must be really old or you started in FF when you were 5 years old!! driving.gif

Paul

Thanks for the compliment. I'm 57 and that was in '68. I told you that it was a long time ago. And Jim Russell hasn't been at Willow in years and years. So you could have figured it out from that as well. I did say that this was before Brad was prabably born. The cars had outboard coil overs. Today, they sell for a fortune as historic race cars.

I actually started in karts when I was 14. That was in '58 when it was just getting started. Raced those until I was 47.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.