Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used this product
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
I've been researching how I want to cut down on the heat and noise coming into my car, I came across this product and was wondering if anyone had used it confused24.gif

If anyone has any experience with this product I'd love to hear about it, or if you know of a better one. This one seemed a decent price for the coverage.

TIA

Jeff
ConeDodger
Ironic Jeff, I am putting Dynamat on the doors of my 240Z right now! I get it from my neighbor who is a manager for AutoZone... I can already tell you this, closing the door sounds very solid. More like a modern much heavier car. I like it!
Mike Bellis
I have used both products. The dynamat is the winner. It is denser and thus dampens more sound. The lizzard is nice because you can spray it.

Go to a roofing supply house and buy a roll of Ice Mat. It is cheap per square foot. Is self adhesive. Thinner than dynamat. It does not work as well as dynamat per layer, but it is so cheap you can double or triple the layers and get the similar results.

Ice Mat is harder to find in California, so look for a wholesaler supply.
Mike Bellis
Found some at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uct_description
JStroud
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 28 2012, 11:30 AM) *

I have used both products. The dynamat is the winner. It is denser and thus dampens more sound. The lizzard is nice because you can spray it.

Go to a roofing supply house and buy a roll of Ice Mat. It is cheap per square foot. Is self adhesive. Thinner than dynamat. It does not work as well as dynamat per layer, but it is so cheap you can double or triple the layers and get the similar results.

Ice Mat is harder to find in California, so look for a wholesaler supply.

Thats what I liked about the Lizard, you can spray it, but if it doesn't work as well maybe I should go with the dynamat.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 28 2012, 11:12 AM) *

Ironic Jeff, I am putting Dynamat on the doors of my 240Z right now! I get it from my neighbor who is a manager for AutoZone... I can already tell you this, closing the door sounds very solid. More like a modern much heavier car. I like it!

Good to hear Rob, sounds like dynamat is the popular choice.

Thanks

Jeff
JStroud
Well it looks like Dynamat it is, just ordered some off Amazon. aktion035.gif

They had the 9 pack of 18" x 32" for $142, and a 4 pack of 12" x36" for $56, if anyones looking.

Jeff
02loftsmoor
Do you kink it will trap water?? Wes
JStroud
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Jul 28 2012, 01:37 PM) *

Not sure if it does or not, but i'm using it inside on the floors and behind the back pad, hopefully no water there to be trapped.

Jeff
02loftsmoor
I had some water traped under my seat under the OEM coating mad a quarter sized hole, rear glass was leaking

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 28 2012, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Jul 28 2012, 01:37 PM) *

Not sure if it does or not, but i'm using it inside on the floors and behind the back pad, hopefully no water there to be trapped.

Jeff

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 28 2012, 10:55 AM) *

I don't know if it applies to this product but every time these types of posts come up many say the roofing products give off a tar smell in the summer months inside of the car.
kerensky
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 29 2012, 03:21 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 28 2012, 10:55 AM) *

I don't know if it applies to this product but every time these types of posts come up many say the roofing products give off a tar smell in the summer months inside of the car.
I'm sure they will. This product and similar stuff is known in the building trade as Ice and Water Shield, and it has asphaltic membrane products in it. Also, it's flammable. I wouldn't want to put this in my car. Great stuff to go on the roof under the shingles, tho!
a914622
Dont use the roofing stuff unless you really like the smell of tarr.

I did the inside of my vanagon panels with B-quiet. Works great. The lizard skin is the new way of quieting the tin box. there are guys spraying it over the sound deadning mats. I have heard it works good.

You can also buy sheets from McMaster carr. like 35.00 shipped. I had a sheet on the outside of my Cnc to keep the vibration down. really worked great.

Fyi The late model VWs use a sandwich of sound mat, carpet wool, harder rubber over lay.

jcl
LotusJoe
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 28 2012, 10:38 AM) *

I've been researching how I want to cut down on the heat and noise coming into my car, I came across this product and was wondering if anyone had used it confused24.gif

If anyone has any experience with this product I'd love to hear about it, or if you know of a better one. This one seemed a decent price for the coverage.

TIA

Jeff

I used it on a complete restoration and highly recommend Lizard Skin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I used 2 gallons of lizard skin on a recent restoration. Not only did the interior but also did the underside and engine compartment.
JStroud
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jul 29 2012, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 28 2012, 10:38 AM) *

TIA

Jeff

I used it on a complete restoration and highly recommend Lizard Skin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I used 2 gallons of lizard skin on a recent restoration. Not only did the interior but also did the underside and engine compartment.

That looks awesome, guess I'll have to use that on my project car, it's getting a more in depth restoration than the one I'm working on now, this one I'm just trying to get back on the road quickly.

Great job on your project first.gif

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.