Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Banned member rules
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike Bellis
If a member here gets banned, should they be allowed to join back to the fourm under a newly assumed name? What if they get banned a second time? This has become a topic of interest recently.
carr914
I Know I'm an AssHat Member for Life - so Apologies Ahead of Time are Accepted

Thank You

skull.gif
jcd914
I think it depends on what they did to get banned in the first place. The admins here seem (to me) to be pretty forgiving and someone has to work pretty hard to get banned. If they were disruptive enough to get banned they should probably stay away but I think most everyone should get a second chance.

Jim

914itis
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 28 2012, 07:36 PM) *

I think it depends on what they did to get banned in the first place. The admins here seem (to me) to be pretty forgiving and someone has to work pretty hard to get banned. If they were disruptive enough to get banned they should probably stay away but I think most everyone should get a second chance.

Jim

agree.gif add that to the poll
jeeperjohn56
agree.gif with Jim, a second chance. John
Elliot Cannon
I think they should just be ignored. Internet forums like this one are so anonymous (with the exception of the few people I have actually met), if some a** hole says something that insults me or others or is generally an a**hole, I just ignore them. If I don't know them their opinion of me or things in general mean nothing to me. I know I've said this befor but if people were required to list their real name and where they are from, it might limit the amount of a**hole posts and inane arguments. There's .04 worth.
Cheers, Elliot Cannon
Paso Robles, California
RickS
If some one really tics you off, you can just go into your profile and add them to a blocked users list, and you will never see another post. Seems pretty simple compared to playing cop.
bigkensteele
A ban is a ban. If Charles Manson got out of prison tomorrow and changed his name to John Smith, he is still Charles Manson, and I don't want him buying the house next door.

It is not easy to get banned here. You have to be an extremely irritating a-hole who offends damn near everyone to the point that they are begging that the person be banned. APE914 is a perfect example. I don't know who he was before, don't care. He is an equal-opportunity hater that ruins every thread he replies to.

Utopia does not exist and is not possible. Many people, myself included, come here to relax, absorb knowledge, and hang with the other 0.002% of the general population that has an interest in these cars. I can think of no good reason why we should have to put up with jerk-offs who have demonstrated on numerous occasions that they only want to disrupt otherwise peaceful and meaningful dialog between us. As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, assholes are not yet considered a protected segment of our society (yet, being the opperative).
Dr Evil
Banned = Banned
bfrymire
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 28 2012, 04:36 PM) *

Jim

+1

I agree. People can change. Maybe probation?

-- brett
URY914
I'd like to see an open forum. No rules, no banning, say anything to anybody. Stop trying to be the forum police. Let the sparks fly.

stirthepot.gif beerchug.gif
shuie
I wouldn't actually ban anyone. I would just put them in their own special individual security group where they could still see everything and the rest of the non-banned membership would not be able to see or respond to anything they post. The change would be completely transparent to the banned member. They could argue and inflame themselves in the background, post FS and WTB ads, and wonder why they never get a response from anyone. Eventually, some them may even figure out that they are being completely ignored and leave on their own.
DBCooper
What are some examples of people who've been banned? Stromberg, I remember. Some other little Nazi adolescent whose name I don't remember, who else? It doesn't happen often, does it, or are there people who disappeared and I just didn't notice?
SLITS
Why not just send an EMP to their computer? blowup.gif

or

just have Clay crawl thru the lines and disconnect their CPU.
Dr Evil
I only remember Alfred (adolescent Nazi that kept posting racist things), and Stromberg (swindler, con man, thief, etc).

Probation is fine for a first offense, I agree. The person that sparked this discussion has been banned before so I dont think probation would apply.

You have to work very hard to get banned on this site.
6freak
3 strikes ...YOUR OUT
smile.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2012, 08:00 AM) *

3 strikes ...YOUR OUT
smile.gif

exactly............Baseball&Felons! (I agree)
Madswede
I believe this sort of thing has been going on as long as there has been an internet forum for people to be on. What's going on is fundamental to human nature and how people interact with each other, particularly on a semi-anonymous forum like this.

In the groups I've been a part of in the past, dating myself here but we're talking about the heady days of the late 80s into the 90s when Usenet was the only game in town before the web took over, there really was no "banning" available to us. The forums were truly open to anyone to post anything. So as a defense, those of us that had disagreements with others we simply placed them in a "killfile" which was essentially identical to the "ignore" function here.

We would often get in a parting shot to the offender by simply replying with "plonk" - the sound of a certain object hitting the water of a certain porcelain receptacle that was also the sound of them being put into one's personal killfile, never to be heard from again. Sometimes it worked well - the knowledge that one would never hear a response from that person again (total f*ckin' silence) was sometimes enough to drive the asshole away without having to ban them, which was impossible anyway.

By the way, the forums I'm talking about in particular were alt.music.pink-floyd and alt.fan.led-zeppelin but alt.fan.douglas-adams was just about as bad for a time there.

So, banning may be a nice feature, and it may work, but really ... I think a "plonk" into your personal killfile is the best. Let 'em know you did it, if you like ... or just simply start ignoring them until they wonder why no one responds. sunglasses.gif
scotty b
Put them in solitary for a few months then let them back into the general pop. Daily cavity searches are mandatory. No-one gets shived in the garage.

FWIW, We don't have these issues in the sandbox, it has it's own rules and regulators mad.gif
EdwardBlume
Whoever owns and manages this site should decide. A website isn't a free democracy. type.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 29 2012, 04:57 AM) *

I'd like to see an open forum. No rules, no banning, say anything to anybody. Stop trying to be the forum police. Let the sparks fly.

stirthepot.gif beerchug.gif

I would too. Fuch It! Feels like I get in trouble more than I care to.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 29 2012, 01:01 PM) *

FWIW, We don't have these issues in the sandbox, it has it's own rules and regulators mad.gif

I can get in trouble in the sandbox. Rules are made up as you go. I'm on my last warning for something that had no rules...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 29 2012, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 29 2012, 01:01 PM) *

I can get in trouble in the sandbox. Rules are made up as you go. I'm on my last warning for something that had no rules...

Naw. You are far too nice of a guy to get in any trouble. shades.gif
Rand
I'd say the place polices itself quite well, because of the members.

When an asshat exposes himself, it is pretty clear to everyone. He then becomes entertainment fodder and gets run out on his ass by everyone. How does it get any better than that?
Let's not try to over-use rules and make the place sterile.

I know there are exceptions... Apparently Stromturd and ape/red/demencheIA are among them. But I have to admit, if they don't try to creep back in once in a while, I'll miss the drama a little.
Dave_Darling
And sometimes people do change, at least for a while.

After all, Alfred/Alpine/Alhambra/All_be_back behaved himself for more than a year before reverting to racist phallocranial behavior...

--DD
JRust
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2012, 08:00 AM) *

3 strikes ...YOUR OUT
smile.gif

agree.gif Works for me
wingnut86
Dave,

What the heck is Phallo...whatever??

Never mind

beer.gif

Oh, 3 strikes gets life agree.gif
Dr Evil
I just tried to put some one on my ignore list, it didnt work dry.gif I got a white screen and can still see the asshat's posts rolleyes.gif
DBCooper
Huh? So you can read this? Well IF you can it'works for me. In the place of their message there's a "you're ignoring this fool" note in a white box and a "do you want to un-ignore?" option. The only time you can't get away is if someone else quotes them. You see their posts then. Great feature, I swear it's lowered my blood pressure by twenty points, easy.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2012, 06:22 PM) *

I just tried to put some one on my ignore list, it didnt work dry.gif I got a white screen and can still see the asshat's posts rolleyes.gif

Stop trying to block me! chair.gif

grouphug.gif poke.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2012, 05:22 PM) *

I can still see you too (in all your naked, blurred out glory), so it clearly isn't working.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2012, 06:22 PM) *

It's working on me. But I ignore you most of the time anyway. happy11.gif That way I stay pretty ignorant. No. Wait, that's not quite right. confused24.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jul 29 2012, 05:57 PM) *

Dave,

What the heck is Phallo...whatever??

Never mind

beer.gif

Oh, 3 strikes gets life agree.gif

.......Means he's been hit in the cranium, with a tire iron LOL
shuie
IPB Image
carr914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 29 2012, 06:27 PM) *

When an asshat exposes himself, it is pretty clear to everyone. He then becomes entertainment fodder and gets run out on his ass by everyone. How does it get any better than that?

But I have to admit, if they don't try to creep back in once in a while, I'll miss the drama a little.

agree.gif

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Internet bullies are most likely not capable of that kind of behaviour once you put them in a real life public situation.
They would be shut down by a group of people, told to shut up, and not listened to.

This behaviour, with personal messages to spawn even more drama and attempt to sway a conversation only ended up with the original thread being ignored, all education in the thread is over...

I believe the ignore button is the best response and even if you see a post quoted, do what you would do in public...let it go and dont respond.

Honestly, the Internet gives certain types of people a platform to be heard...these types of people would typically require therapy to even try to be part of a normal social situation.

Yes, they can make your blood boil...then its time for you to do what you would do in a real life situation...either walk away (if that is what you would do in a bar) or stand your ground and tell the person to STFU

Rich
ww914
I haven't been around as long as most, but I think the way the Admins handled the last post where there were personal threats, etc. is the best way to go. I think everyone has a right to their opinion, but if you start bashing someone in a personal way, your post is gone. I know this sounds like internet police, but as a society, sometimes we need to be reminded that we are human beings and we should treat others like we would want to be treated. Sound like I'm preaching? Sorry.
Drums66
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jul 30 2012, 07:44 AM) *

I haven't been around as long as most, but I think the way the Admins handled the last post where there were personal threats, etc. is the best way to go. I think everyone has a right to their opinion, but if you start bashing someone in a personal way, your post is gone. I know this sounds like internet police, but as a society, sometimes we need to be reminded that we are human beings and we should treat others like we would want to be treated. Sound like I'm preaching? Sorry.

.......Guess I missed the Drama?......ban anyone that BASTARDIZE"S 1
of these Cars(914 Porsche)

NOTE; ADMINS, I"ve lost use of the iconx
seanery
beerchug.gif WTF.gif drunk.gif sheeplove.gif sawzall-smiley.gif slap.gif
seanery
Drums, try closing and reopening your browser. If that doesn't do it, maybe a reboot or clearing your cache.
Strudelwagon
Somebody's starting a BAND? cool! blink.gif

Ya....Band = Band
ape914
The real question is, what to do about banned witches?

How do we know who's a witch?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ape914
Attached below is a technical data flow chart I dug up. It comes from a rather obscure factory technical department, who's main task was to supply factory warrentee guidance to dealerships dealing with customer complaints of haunted cars, Possesed transmissions, and ghoastly paranormal wind noises.

Evidently per Porsche factory historian Herr. Manx Kurz, they had a bad set of witching dog gears in 1979 installed in 13 911E's. Herr. Kurz told me they have been dealing with this type of witch thing every now and then since, but now they know what to do about it when it happens.

This flowchart will help us figure it out the burning witch question, in a logical step by step way, so there will be no mistakes.

Thanks to Herr. Manx Kurz, Porsche Factory Historian for this valuable data.

Click to view attachment
Scott S
I actually used that entire sequence/scene as an example of a bad syllogism in a 400 level english class in college. I wheeled in the TV cart, threw in the VHS tape and sat back.

I got a "B".......
Porschef
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jul 30 2012, 05:27 PM) *

I actually used that entire sequence/scene as an example of a bad syllogism in a 400 level english class in college. I wheeled in the TV cart, threw in the VHS tape and sat back.

I got a "B".......

SWEET! I was always stoked with a "B" smoke.gif
ape914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 30 2012, 02:35 PM) *

[
SWEET! I was always stoked with a "B" smoke.gif

All whilest stoking a "j" smoke.gif
scotty b
Ignorance truely is bliss I suppose...............
DBCooper
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 30 2012, 09:23 AM) *
......ban anyone that BASTARDIZE"S 1
of these Cars(914 Porsche)

Define "BASTARDIZE". Thanks.
Dave_Darling
"Anything that does not conform to my own personal notions of good taste."

DUH!!

--DD
Drums66
.....Heavily alter in truly bad style & taste from it's original condition
as,DD alluded to.(we know taste is individual)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.