Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with Question about How Much Should I Pay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BestefarJohn
Hi, this is John in Indiana. The 1974 looks pretty clean although I haven't seen it on a lift yet. It runs well but is a little hard to get into first geat when not moving. The paint is good and the engine is said to have about 20K on it since a rebuild.

I'm sure the question of how much to pay has been asked many times so perhaps you could direct me to that thread. I didn't see it on a quick search.

Many thanks from Grandpa John
SLITS
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

What's the asking price?
billh1963
When it comes to 914's pictures tell the story. You need pcitures of the longs, hell hole, floors, and trunks.

Is the rebuild documented?
Mike Bellis
914's run from $ free to $60,000.

Need more info. Pictures. Rust is the killer and the most expensive fix. Engines are cheap compare to rust repair and paint.
Dave_Darling
How bad is the rust? Notice we are not asking if it has rust--it is pretty much guaranteed to. "Rust free" cars merely mean that the rust doesn't cost any extra.

Do you know the places to look for it? Have you heard of the "hell hole"? Have you poked at the structural parts of the car with a screwdriver?

--DD
timofly
The prior posts are all right on the money, but I would add this: if you want a 914, buy the best one you can find with the help of the experts on this forum. Someone lives near enough to you to be able to help.

DON'T buy a ratty 914 and try to "fix it up" unless you are an expert welder, a genius with old Bosche fuel injection systems, have a warm, dry place to work on the car and a very tolerant family. You can learn the skills, of course, if you have lots of spare time and patience.

On balance, though, the most important thing is the body. All the mechanical stuff can be repaired by someone who knows how. We have a definite advantage in the VW heritage, because they were pretty robust, reliable cars for their day. But the rust on what was originally a pretty light, unit-body car is a virtual death sentence unless the owner is both a good welder and a masochist.

Good luck, and

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.