Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Running a 009 w Pertronix now. Has anyone found a major improvement to be found with something different/ better?

Thanks,

Joe
jsayre914
I just went through this,

There is NOTHING.

If I remember you are running D-jet and there is no other distributor that will trigger the fuel injectors unless you invent some kind of opticle pickup. I searched and searched and searched

I also am running a 009 with pertronix D-Jet, its as good as it gets

flag.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 30 2012, 11:43 AM) *

If I remember you are running D-jet ...

Nope, L-Jet.
He doesn't need the trigger points.
Porschef
Nothing like leaving out pertinent information when asking a question. My duh.

Yes it's an Ljet.

Chris, I put 85 miles on it this morning, and she's really nice on the highway, much cooler head temps since you did the adjustment and oil temps were down too, after redoing the exhaust gaskets and adding the missing flap underneath in front of the engine bay.

I'm just wondering if some improvement in spark delivery would really help. confused24.gif

Thanks,

Joe
ape914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 30 2012, 08:29 AM) *

Running a 009 w Pertronix now. Has anyone found a major improvement to be found with something different/ better?

Thanks,

Joe

Depends what your looking for and if the motor is modified or not.
The stock spark advance curve is probably some optimization of smog control, good milage, performance, and drivability.

I dont know exactly what folks do to hop up the spark advance on a stock L jet if that is what you have. You might give it more advance for power, change the advance the springs, or such.

How does she run now with the 009?

Do you have more power than stock? temps good?, drivability-any flat spots?

The samba might have some good info for you on dizzies, they have a lot of knowledge about what is available and may recommend a certain part number.
Drums66
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 30 2012, 11:26 AM) *

Nothing like leaving out pertinent information when asking a question. My duh.

Yes it's an Ljet.

...If it's Ljet?......I'd run a 1.8 dizzy(my suggestion)
Porschef
Once I get past the funky start up idle, she runs good. No flat spots, no hesitation, but I'm just questioning whether there can be an improvement.... As I have been less reluctant to stomp on her once and a while,i do notice some faint pinging sometimes and none at other times...

Removing the CHT sensor spacer I had made, I think she's a it rich at idle for too long....
ape914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 30 2012, 02:32 PM) *

Once I get past the funky start up idle, she runs good. No flat spots, no hesitation, but I'm just questioning whether there can be an improvement.... As I have been less reluctant to stomp on her once and a while,i do notice some faint pinging sometimes and none at other times...

Removing the CHT sensor spacer I had made, I think she's a it rich at idle for too long....

ok, the rich at idle not so much a concern, the pinging I would worry about and avoid those conditions. If you can hear the pinging over the engine /road/wind noise, you know it has to be loud and harmful.
you got an electronic ignitoin and that already is a big improvement over stock.

i got a 2056 JE piston motor, Elgin FI hopped up cam, Bursch Ex. and run the stock D jet and Stock D-jet Dizzie with stockish settings, maybe a slight degree or two dump up in the timing setting, not much. enrichening the mixture via the MPS made the most perfromance gain for me on this motor. You might want to play with your mixture a bit more, and try the stock dizzie, but maybe see if you can get away with a little more advance than specififed as your motor and more importantly your cam are no longer stock.

I assume you have more valve overlap on your cam, and thus can afford to push the advance a little more maybe. (Since your dynamic compression ratio will be lower) you will want to do this on high test gasoline, not regular low grade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.