Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping a/c with my LS1 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Yeah yeah I know just take the top off dry.gif .

So other than having the a/c unit on my LS1 motor. What else do I need to do it? I am assuming the interior a/c unit with vent's. The one used in all the aftermarket a/c units I have seen. What else will it take? I will have no lack of power with the LS1 so I figured I may as well have the a/c option. It sure will be nice when I take it to CA, AZ or Utah & triple digit heat.
andys
If it's a variable volume compressor (Fbody/Vette), then it will be compatible with only some AC systems. I'm using a Hot Rod Air system on my conversion, and they claim that it is indeed compatible, where as the Vintage Air system is not. A fixed volume compressor would be compatible with most systems (VA, etc). I'm not an expert, and can only reguritate that which I've read or have been told.

Andys
bulitt
Compressor, receiver-dryer, condenser, evaporator, hi/low pressure switches, temperature bulb, hoses, on and on
JRust
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 30 2012, 03:26 PM) *

Compressor, receiver-dryer, condenser, evaporator, hi/low pressure switches, temperature bulb, hoses, on and on

Can that come off my donor car? OR will it all need to be a custom built deal?
dlee6204
Some things you will need...

Compressor- You might be able to re-use this. I'm thinking you'll be fine if you do. At the very least you will need some hose adapters.

Condensor- The condensor will go infront of the radiator so as long as the one off the car will fit, go for it. It will need to be flushed before reusing. You will need to wire electric fans to run whenever the A/C is on.

Evaporator(Dash unit)- You can buy a new aftermarket unit or reuse one that came from dealer installed systems. If using a used one, the Expansion valve should be replaced. and the evaporator be flushed.

Reciever Drier-You don't/can't reuse this iten. They are cheap. <$20

Pressure Switch- You'll want to buy a new one. They typically bolt into the drier and are inexpensive.

Hoses- You will need a full set ofcustom hoses made to fit.

Here is one source of aftermarket A/C parts...
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/

3d914
JRust,

Here is a link on the Pelican site with an AC wiring diagram I worked up for the stock system. You may have to modify slightly depending on the compressor you use.

Keep us posted with your progress/results.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.