Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Separating the ball joint stud from the bottom of the strut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
parrish911
I am in the process of removing the front suspension of my '73 2.0. I was able to remove the tapered ball joint bolts (thanks to some great guidance on this forum). I am now struggling to separate the ball joint stud from the bottom of the strut housing. The ball joints are original to the car, so they have been on there a while. Any clevers tools or methods recommended to aid in this disasembly?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
r_towle
If you are trying to save the ball joint...heat and PB blaster.
If you are replacing it...ues a ball joint fork and PB blaster.

Sometimes if you have a sway bar in place, that may be what is holding things up and creating some tension.

Other times, its just good old fashions rust.

Soak the crap out of it with PB, drive a large flat screw driver in the slot on the strut to expand it...and use a fork to pull it.

rich
Eric_Shea
Thes no slot on that strut and heat would melt the boot.

I'd say just use a pickle fork and extricate the thing. They're cheap enough (relative term... cheaper if you have a relatives credit card) to just buy new ones. I always get new ones.
JawjaPorsche
Your ball joints are probably near the end of their life so why not replace them while you got everything torn down. Remember the old commercial: "You can pay me now or you can pay me later!"

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 31 2012, 09:48 AM) *

Thes no slot on that strut and heat would melt the boot.

I'd say just use a pickle fork and extricate the thing. They're cheap enough (relative term... cheaper if you have a relatives credit card) to just buy new ones. I always get new ones.

agree.gif
parrish911
I do plan on replacing the ball joints (and torsion bars, A-arm bushings, tie rods). Looks like I will be visiting Harbor Freight tonight for some new tools. Thanks for all the advice.

Steve
parrish911
Eric and Rich, thanks again for all the advice. PB Blaster, a pickle fork, and a big hammer did the trick.

Steve
Jeffs9146
I was given a tip about 10 years ago that worked like a charm!

Leave the strut attached at the top
Jack the front up
Remove the bottom pin bolt
Use the weight of the tire and suspension to put pressure down and pull the ball joint out of the strut by tapping it with a hammer or a ball joint fork chisel

Edit: Oops to late!!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.