Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
The mechanical aspects of my Sixer Project are coming to a close with just one modification left to (911 e-brake cables). Just to get to this point, seven years and considerable changes have taken place to the car which still needs to be sanded, sealed and painted.

I really enjoyed building this car much more than the 914-V8 I built back in the late seventies. This car handles so much better and is better balanced. It will be a joy to take long distance trips in it once I get the dependability established.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Always wanted to add the above quote and decided to do it before anyone else. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

The pictures will be coming shortly showing the current status of the car and a report on how it is doing.

The car is 1974 914 converted to 1987 911 Carrera Sixer engine. It has retained all the original engine injection and related components except I installed a K&N inlet system. I am using the stock 1987 911 oil tank with all the 911 guages working and installed. I added a vacuum guage and amp guage. In addition, the oil system has a thermo/bypass valve and front oil cooler installed.

Exhaust consists of the original 1987 heat exchangers and heating system connected and working. Everything does fit and does work.

The exhaust system consists of two exhaust pipes with two CAT converters attached to each. I am making water at each tailpipe. A little noisy at high rpm's but below 3500 it is ok.

I had the Great Doc Evil work is majic on the transmission and it came back with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears changed to match the 3.2 engine. He did a great job; excellent asset for our cars.

Front suspension consists of a completely rebuilt rack and pinion, new 21mm torsion bars, 22mm sway bars, Koni Reds Adjustable shocks, Elephant Racing brass inserts on the torsion bar housings with zert fittings, etc.

Rear suspension consists of rear trailing arms having new Elephant Racing brass inserts on the suspension with zert fittings, Elephant Racing Bolt kit and inserts, 180-200lbs springs with adjustable perches, Koni Reds Adjustable shocks, stock rear sway bar with new attachment inserts, etc.

Front and rear brakes are complete 911 Carrera type including e-brake. Eric provided me with great insight and information regarding this matter which made the conversion easy. I am running the 911 rotors, calipers, etc which came from a 1987 Carrera.

Rear half-shafts (sway-a-way), 108mm CV Joints, 911 hubs, transaxle drive flanges, etc. have been changed over to handle the 3.2 engine power.

Several stress kits have been added from our vendors such as Racer Chris and many others. This project could not have been completed without their input of information and quality products. The rear suspension is stressed where the rear suspension attaches, longs with Brad Mayuer's kit, Engleman's inner kit, etc. The body has been seam welded in critical parts, etc. In short, the body does not flex which could be good or bad depending on application - actually a little stiff for road car, could be best for the race track; have to see about adjusting the suspension to the best possible use. There are probably many other things done but this info at least gives the background what has been done to the car.

I have used one of our vendor's fuse box and changed everything over to the blade type fuses. I have installed fuses on wires running from the battery to the different battery hot wires for protection while starting and troubleshooting. These I will leave since I think they give a protection to the electric system.

I stll need to prepare the body for paint, sand and seal, paint. This will follow next year and should be ready for the events in the Bay Area in 2014.

Additional items to add include the seals, interior (which has already been done), cover the dash front and top, emergency brake cables, etc.

Car has fiberglass fender extensions which encase 17inch Cup II rims running:
front - 7 inch 205/50 with spacers; rear - 9inch 235/45 with spacers.

I do not know nor do I care how much money was spent since this has been a very enjoyable seven year project and I have met great people. It is well worth the entire effort. Any additions to this project may be a hitch assembly and building a 914 trailer. This sounds interesting and could be used in traveling/camping, etc. Only time and future will determine any additional continuation to this project after painting/driving/adjustments/etc.

Shake down trils beging this coming Saturday between rain storms. driving.gif driving.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

billh1963
Great write-up....looking forward to the pictures!
Cairo94507
Sounds very nice; looking forward to the pictures too.
shoguneagle
Do not know how nice it is or looks since I have clean up several items.

I got the exhaust installed and drove it home in second gear. As soon as I moved into traffic I felt the shift rod at the gear shift lever slip in the middle of traffic. Managed to lock the trans into second gear and drove home through five stop lights. Engine, clutch, and brakes working perfectly. Only thing bad is the shift lever. Should have it fixed this week end.

I really did a "dumb thing" and left the oil tank cap off after checking the tank level when car was warmed up. Went out a while later and found 3-4 quarts on the garage floor.. Should know better. Car is now running with the problems mentioned above and some driving adjustments which have to be made.

I am very happy about the car. Just cleanup and prepartion/painting.

Pictures should be attached shortly.

Steve
rktmn247
Glad your conversion is running! Sounds like you are down to the short strokes. I would really like to see pics of your exhaust system from underneath. I'm very curious.
Also, where did your mount the stock 911 oil tank? Thanks for posting your progress!
shoguneagle
The areas that I need to clean up involve the heating area and the rear oil tank installation. Some people may not like the installations but I had rust in the areas so modification was in order. Remember, my car was a roller which has been returned to the street - a total rework project.

The pictures are being prepared and focused on the car at this stage of the game and will be posted to this thread. Should have them shortly.

The oil tank is mounted laterally across the rear of the car in the trunk. I had rust in this area and wanted to match the oil capacity of the stock 911 configuration to the engine requirements. This area is subject to rearend accidents but the car is only going to be driven on special events activities. Oil lines are routed up the center of the engine/transmission, etc.; and, it does have a front oil cooler.

I had headers installed without any heat/defroster capability. I do not mind the cold weather, but I will not drive without defroster. I really hate the fogging of windshield.

Steve
ThinAir
Looking forward to seeing it!

I saw a multi-colored flaired 914 on a flat-bed tow yesterday on Hwy 180 and wondered if it was yours.
shoguneagle
Yes. That was the car going to the muffler shop. Got it back and had some transmission and oil leak problems. Getting them straightened out now.

Steve
JmuRiz
Can't wait to see some pictures, I like the out of the box thinking described.
shoguneagle
I have not forgotten my promise for pictures. Still tied up with transmission shifting problems. Should be here shortly irregardless of my transmission problems.

Steve
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment This photo reflects the new locations for the 911 Carrera oil tank, breather hoses, battery, etc.
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment Another view of the rear trunk showing the oil tank, breather lines, battery and heater hoses going to the heat exchangers.
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment The 911 instruments etal
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment Another of the progress completed
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment Left side underneath showing the bottom heater exchange and related hoses. Also shows the axle mods done converting everything to 108mm CV Joints, etc. Again the exhaust system left side
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment oil lines routed underneath the car
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment right side of transaxle showing clutch cable attachment and routing. Note the clearance around the installed stock heat exchangers/exhaust from the 911 Carrera
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment shows some of the throttle at the right side of the transmission
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment underneath left side of the car showing the left heat exchanger/exhaust. A little dark.
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
I have attached photos relating to the present work and modifications I have done to the car. I have not shown the front oil cooler since it still has to be completed and housed. Another critical clerance area is where the shift rod crosses the heater exchanger. The heat exchanger had to be dimpled to allow the shift rod to work properly.

Yes, 911 heat exchangers and related heater system can be installed in a 914 and to where everything will work.

Sorry I could not get better pictures of the total car and underneath. I think I have some around and will try to install in this thread.

Still have a lot of work including cleanup, mounting, paint prep, etc. but the car has been a joy thus far in the build/modification process. It has been five years to get the "junk yard special" to this stage. Still a while to go before completion and the car goes on a long trip.

Steve
shoguneagle
I have attached photos relating to the present work and modifications I have done to the car. I have not shown the front oil cooler since it still has to be completed and housed. Another critical clerance area is where the shift rod crosses the heater exchanger. The heat exchanger had to be dimpled to allow the shift rod to work properly.

Yes, 911 heat exchangers and related heater system can be installed in a 914 and to where everything will work.

Sorry I could not get better pictures of the total car and underneath. I think I have some around and will try to install in this thread.

Still have a lot of work including cleanup, mounting, paint prep, etc. but the car has been a joy thus far in the build/modification process. It has been five years to get the "junk yard special" to this stage. Still a while to go before completion and the car goes on a long trip.

Steve
shoguneagle
Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. 1st is a little sloppy going into gear but the rest are shifting properly. As I drive the car and the transaxle breaks in the shifts get better. Have had it 4th and 5th once. I want the transaxle to run for several days before adjusting the shift, suspension, etc.

It felt great to drive it for about ten miles. Everything feels solid.
brant
please put a batter cover or insulated wrap on that positive battery cable.

if you get a rear end tap, or bend the trunk lid in anyway you are going to have a dead short and big fire

I would hate to see a fender bender cause a car fire and burn up all of your hard work.

edit: I see the white hoods in the later pictures
they may be glass eliminating some of the concern.
still they make cable end insulators for 99cents.....
brant
Andyrew
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 26 2012, 08:13 PM) *

Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. 1st is a little sloppy going into gear but the rest are shifting properly. As I drive the car and the transaxle breaks in the shifts get better. Have had it 4th and 5th once. I want the transaxle to run for several days before adjusting the shift, suspension, etc.

It felt great to drive it for about ten miles. Everything feels solid.

Great to hear Steve! Keep up the good work!!
shoguneagle
Thanks, brant. You are right. The battery as presently shown is definitely a hazard. The battery case still has to be fastened down securely; the top I have is fiberglass and is form fitted with RTV to go over the entire battery top including the positive wire and its battery connection; same for ground side. I may end up with a lower profile battery and do the side connections instead of top connections. What do you think??

Andyrew: Great to hear from you. I remember when I thought I was out of the 914 business and was moving to Flagstaff. Within a year, I had a roller chassis and started building the present project. This is the project I should have built from the start instead of the 914-V8. I enjoyed both cars but the Porsche engine etal gives better handling and centering.

I do try to keep tabs on your ventures and your 914-V8. And I assume you are through school by now; and heard you got married.

Thanks for the feedback and comments. Someday it will be driven to California to attend a Porsche event.

Steve
shoguneagle
The pictures do reflect most of the work I still have to do such as mounting the oil lines higher into the underneath side of the car. the rear trunk area reflects the need to change wiring, lines, etc to get better open room and weight balance.

The major disadvantage in locating the oil tank in the rear of the trunk is someone running into the rear end and causing damage. In addition, with the oil lines and thermo/bypass valve being located tucked up into the car next to he lower valve covers makes valve adjusting somewhat of a chore and time consuming event. Have to work on these two cause and effect items and make things simpler.

I have gotten the Porsche running and will establish dependability. I have another two months before it starts getting cold here in the Arizona High Country. I will do as much as I can for the rest of the year but it looks like the items left including painting etal will have to wait until next year.

I do have have to get the red car in the pictures back on the street again and return it to our place in Northern California. It is licensed in California and is here in Flagstaff for maintenance. Need to replace motor mounts, brakes, etc. This will have to be done in the next two weeks along with getting the garage straightened out. We are going to California and Oregon at the end of September for a short trip and then have to get back to Flagstaff.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and noted items.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.