Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting without clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I am about to be driving my 914 home without a clutch cable. I've done this before in other cars, but not in the 914.
What rpm's should I be aiming for when trying to shift into the various gears?
McMark
The RPM needs to be matched to the MPH with regard to the gear ratios (including final drive). So there isn't a number to tell you. It depends on how fast the car is traveling and which gear you're trying to go into, and whether you're going up or down a gear.

Stopping is the enemy! biggrin.gif

Good luck... beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Give the accelarator a quick blip and gently push it into the next gear as the rpms wind down. It helps to skip second gear too.
ape914
I find up shifting easier than down shifting.

there are really no special rules for a 914 verses most other manual cars, when it comes to no clutch driving. Youve done it before, you'll do it again, no sweat.
zambezi
Make sure your engine is warmed up and starts easily before driving. This way you can start the car in gear to start off. You may even be able to start off in 2nd gear and alternate between 2nd for starts and then go straight to 4th for higher speed roads. That is how I had to do it when my clutch went out on my 928. I would push the shifter into neutral and coast to a stop at red lights, then shut off the car and put it in 2nd, then when the light turned green I would start the car while in second (because the car was warmed up and in good tune it started right up even in gear) and I would then hold 2 gear until about 5000 RPM's then shift carefully to 4th. I would guess your 2nd gear could take you to about 35 or 40 then 4 should be able to go as low as 25 but go up to 70 if need be.
pcar916
Shift by ear. If you've been paying attention to the change in pitch of the engine as you shift normally, make it sound like that. Then for the shift and under no load in either direction, gently move it into the target gear.

Good luck
ClayPerrine
It can be done. Just be gentle when pushing the gear lever. You can feel it when the RPM range matches.

I actually drove one way down the Tail of the Dragon with a broken clutch cable. Stayed in third most of the way. The guy in the new Corvette couldn't keep up in the twisty bits. biggrin.gif
ripper911
beerchug.gif Yep, I made it home fine yesterday. Didn't get above 3rd gear since it was only a few miles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.