Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accel lever sticking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
The accelerator pedal is sticking and squeaking. I'm soaking with PB Blaster right now, and can't remember the last time that the cluster was rebuilt. No sign of leakage of brake fluid, the cable moves smoothly, pedal itself in good condition.

Can't remember the last time I saw a 914-4 cluster apart. confused24.gif

Question: Is there supposed to be a return spring on the "lever" or "bell crank" for the accelerator?

thanks,
Rusty smoke.gif
Root_Werks
No spring down there that I know of. Far as I know, the only springs for throttle are on the throttle body or carbs etc...

I bet your assembly needs to be pulled and maybe just cleaned and greased if you already have the metal bushings. My brake pedal is sticking a little. I looked down and noticed I had the plastic bushings. Bummer. Nothing to do there but pull it all appart and install/grease up metal ones. I think the kits are less than $15 from most places. GPR is a good source. cool_shades.gif
Rusty
Thanks, Dan. I'll pull the cluster and clean it up.
Cap'n Krusty
Better order the master cylinder along with those bronze bushings. You need one. The Cap'n
davep
The pedal itself is supposed to act as a return spring. If you have a new one, you will know what I mean. Old pedals do not provide much, if any, return force. The main return spring is on the throttle body. I had a 1.7 that liked to break springs.
r_towle
I Recall that you should not under any circumstances lube the pedal cluster with any petroleum lubricants....(I am speaking a stock cluster with the original plastic bushings)

these bushings are made of some special SHIT that absorbs the petroleum, swells the bushings and they get tighter!!!!

Ask me how I know.

If you have the bronze bushings, spray away, any lube will do.

The gas pedal has the spring molded into the flat part that is bolted to the floor, guess what, they rust.....what a surprise.

there is a spring at the throttle body that can be replaced with a tougher one, but you will loose the feel of the throttle.

I would check it like this
Dicconect the cable at the pedal,,,a simple ball and cup connection.
Disconnect cable at the throttle body.
Make sure cable slides really smooth, replace if you have any doubt...they do break while driving (Ask me how I know)

Check the throttle body action by hand and feel for resisitance (remove return spring so you can feel it)
these old ones can get gunky and the hole that the rod goes through can get gummed up and make it tight. I ussually just take it out of the car, and clean clean clean...solve that one, use carb cleaner.

then last of all is the pedal it should move with resistance. It is basically a piece of spring steel bent at the correct angle and then they mold the rubber pedal around it, if its toast, you can only replace it. (I tired all the cheap fixes, just replace it, trust me nothing feels right until you have the correct spring in back and a working pedal up front)

Good luck
Rich

Good luck.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 22 2004, 12:03 PM)
The pedal itself is supposed to act as a return spring. If you have a new one, you will know what I mean. Old pedals do not provide much, if any, return force. The main return spring is on the throttle body. I had a 1.7 that liked to break springs.

Trust me, there's little or no return action on the part of the pedal. The TB spring (or springs, on the later cars) is the ONLY counter pressure on the whole system. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.