Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have the part number for the air injection port plugs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I would like to put plugs in the air injection ports on the heads of my '76 2.0. The air injectors looks like they were filled with JB Weld or something similar. I would rather just put in plugs. Earler threads talk about putting in 10 X 1.00 plugs.

Does anyone have a McMaster part number for that?

Do you use loctite or is that a bad idea?

Should you use stainless or regular steel? Would there be any issues with those metals and any oxidation or galvanic reaction with the heads?

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
www.Bel-Metric.com. One of those things McMaster doesn't seem to carry.
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 2 2012, 08:47 AM) *

www.Bel-Metric.com. One of those things McMaster doesn't seem to carry.

Thanks, Eric!

Any thoughts on using loctite or anything like that?
TheCabinetmaker
There are no part #'s for it. Folks use what ever they can find. Some use a 2L valve adjuster, some just cap the extention tubes with a plmbg fitting. are the tubes extending from the heads a few inches? or is the jb weld in the head itself? The threads in the head are about 40mm down in the hole. I use an M10X1.0X50mm bolt with thread sealer.
Eric_Shea
I would just get the copper washers that go with them and torque them properly. Loc-Tite and things like JB Weld are "heat" sensitive agents so I don't know if they would do much good in that case but, probably wouldn't hurt to try the Red stuff.
billh1963
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 2 2012, 08:52 AM) *

There are no part #'s for it. Folks use what ever they can find. Some use a 2L valve adjuster, some just cap the extention tubes with a plmbg fitting. are the tubes extending from the heads a few inches? or is the jb weld in the head itself? The threads in the head are about 40mm down in the hole. I use an M10X1.0X50mm bolt with thread sealer.

The tubes are there...the holes are filled with something...looks more like JB weld than actual welded metal. I could reuse the air injection tubes and cap them. I thought it would look a lot cleaner if I could just put a threaded plug in the air injection port rather than have the tubes sticking out of the engine tin.
JStroud
Here's what I used. Hope it Helps.

Click to view attachment

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
Thats where I use the bolts. I hate those tubes sticking out. Damn near impossible to remove the two outer intake nuts with them in the way.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 2 2012, 09:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Jeff

That would be similar to using the valve adjuster. Only thing i don't like about that is, the threads in the hole are machined all the way into the exhaust port. I think it could be possible for them to go thru and hit the valve stem. The bolt eliminates that possibility
billh1963
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 2 2012, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 2 2012, 09:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Jeff

That would be similar to using the valve adjuster. Only thing i don't like about that is, the threads in the hole are machined all the way into the exhaust port. I think it could be possible for them to go thru and hit the valve stem. The bolt eliminates that possibility

I just ordered a pack of these ($11.45 + shipping). I have a borescope I can borrow...may do that to make sure I don't put them in too far! I could measure the tubes I took out and use that as a reference as well.
Eric_Shea
That looks like the ticket.

Sorry... when I said McMaster didn't carry them I was thinking of the basic drain plug design (the ones we use in the back of 914 rear calipers).
euro911
Those are also what was in the 'BB's 2.0L heads when I bought it. Had one pop out (cyl#2), reinstalled it with a dab of Loc-tite. It bottomed out and didn't project into the exhaust port.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.