Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "While I'm in there" 2.0 engine out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I know this list could get huge; however, I am looking for the obvious.

I think the alternator is bad; so, I used that as an excuse to drop the engine.

The pushrod tubes/seals were replaced before I bought the car and when I dropped the transmission for Dr. Evil's rebuild clinic I replaced the RMS, flywheel, PP, clutch disc, T/O bearing, shift bushings, etc.

My plan is:
  1. Clean/paint tin
  2. New alternator/belt
  3. Adjust valves
  4. Oil cooler seal
  5. Intake manifold gasket (car has single carb)
  6. Plugs,wires, etc.
  7. Plug air injection ports
Anything else without cracking open the engine or heads?
Valy
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 2 2012, 12:37 PM) *

I know this list could get huge; however, I am looking for the obvious.

I think the alternator is bad; so, I used that as an excuse to drop the engine.

The pushrod tubes/seals were replaced before I bought the car and when I dropped the transmission for Dr. Evil's rebuild clinic I replaced the RMS, flywheel, PP, clutch disc, T/O bearing, shift bushings, etc.

My plan is:
  1. Clean/paint tin
  2. New alternator/belt
  3. Adjust valves
  4. Oil cooler seal
  5. Intake manifold gasket (car has single carb)
  6. Plugs,wires, etc.
  7. Plug air injection ports
Anything else without cracking open the engine or heads?

Front main seal.
type47
galley plugs?
D-Jet or Micro/Megasquirt? (anything other than a single carb...)
billh1963
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 2 2012, 04:40 PM) *

galley plugs?
D-Jet or Micro/Megasquirt? (anything other than a single carb...)

I've got a complete FI system for it in a box somewhere or I may even just go with dual carbs. For now I just want to get it back in and running! smile.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 2 2012, 04:34 PM) *

[Front main seal.

Good idea
BarberDave
slap.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bill: DITTO on the galley plugs ! Cut threads and use pipe plugs ! Dave
wingnut86
Check the exhaust manifolds for signs of leaks. If any questions, remove and replace the exhaust gaskets, making sure you verify that the manifolds themselves are completely flat across both pipes with a metal rule. You can use a Sharpie to mark the oval ports and then use a large flat file (HF is cheap for this) to remove or flatten before reinstalling to the heads.

P.S. Make sure you use PB Blaster or similar on the studs 1st, then heat if they appear challenging dry.gif
SUNAB914
Powdercoat all the tin.
benalishhero
add V/C gaskets to the list...
toolguy
Inspect or replace the rubber seal from the body shelf to the engine tin.
How old is the clutch cable?? Clean the ground strap lug at the transmission, make sure a good connection. .
Inspect the trailing arm dog ears for any cracks. .How's the bushings??
Clean and repack all the CV's. Do they need new boots??
How old is the starter, brushes don't last forever. .?
Paint the timing marks. Shift shaft bushings??
Krank
Dosen't have to be done when the engine is out but it seems it would be a lot easier....breakerless ignition conversion.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Aug 2 2012, 12:55 PM) *

slap.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bill: DITTO on the galley plugs ! Cut threads and use pipe plugs ! Dave

Can galleys be tapped without getting metal inside the motor?

When I had mine out, I bought a Victor Reinz rebuild gasket kit and replaced everything that I could get to without pulling the heads. I also put in viton pushrod tube seals, distributor O ring and a front/rear main seals (neither are in the VR kit).

Also:
- new screws for the tin. I think that Mikey sells these or CIP1.com.
- new oil pressure sending unit and grommet (AA was the only place I found it)
- head temp sensor grommet
- bench test your thermostat - you will most likely have to find a good used one. Check with Rich at High Performance House (where I found mine).
- new front, side, rear engine seals - Mikey
- New CV bolts, gaskets
- stainless fuel lines in the tunnel
- disassemble, regrease distributor
- replace soft fuel lines
- oil filter
- check/replace vacuum hoses, manifold hoses

While mine was out, I also pulled the tank and replaced the strainer and all of the soft hoses and filter up front.

I guess I got a little carried away, but now I know what I have, and it doesn't leak a drop.
billh1963
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 2 2012, 08:13 PM) *

When I had mine out, I bought a Victor Reinz rebuild gasket kit and replaced everything that I could get to without pulling the heads. I also put in viton pushrod tube seals, distributor O ring and a front/rear main seals (neither are in the VR kit).

Also:
- new screws for the tin. I think that Mikey sells these or CIP1.com.
- new oil pressure sending unit and grommet (AA was the only place I found it)
- head temp sensor grommet
- bench test your thermostat - you will most likely have to find a good used one. Check with Rich at High Performance House (where I found mine).
- new front, side, rear engine seals - Mikey
- New CV bolts, gaskets
- stainless fuel lines in the tunnel
- disassemble, regrease distributor
- replace soft fuel lines
- oil filter
- check/replace vacuum hoses, manifold hoses

While mine was out, I also pulled the tank and replaced the strainer and all of the soft hoses and filter up front.

I guess I got a little carried away, but now I know what I have, and it doesn't leak a drop.

If I do all that I may never get it back together! lol-2.gif
wingnut86
What's your point Bill?

We don't buy them to drive. The 914 is the only test-jig I can find that will properly calibrate my pinned jack stands.

Anyone else using theirs for the same purpose?

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 2 2012, 04:24 PM) *

If I do all that I may never get it back together! lol-2.gif

Just sayin' what I did. Some of it was precautionary (oil pressure sender, dizzy rebuild). Some was downright necessary to have a safe car. When I was pulling out the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel, one just snapped in half. Yikes. I would also say that testing the thermostat is a no-brainer - it is essential to a long-lasting engine.

Nothing on the list above is very time-consuming, but it will cost you more.

Good luck beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like to me that you're main objective is to have the car down as little time as possible. Most of what was mentioned to be done is a good idea, but can easily be done with the engine in.

I don't see galley plugs being done without splitting the case. I flushed my case for hours with a high pressure hose before the chips stopped coming out and i used great care in keeping them out.
Krieger
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 2 2012, 06:19 PM) *

What's your point Bill?

We don't buy them to drive. The 914 is the only test-jig I can find that will properly calibrate my pinned jack stands.

Anyone else using theirs for the same purpose?

av-943.gif lol-2.gif

lol-2.gif best test jig I've owned!
SUNAB914
Hey Bill,

When do we get a fleet picture of all the 914's you have stock piled?
DRPHIL914
lol-2.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif

i'd like to see that too!

if you have that many sets of jackstands, would make an interesting picture, poke.gif

you might get some complaint letters from you neighbors soon too,

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 3 2012, 08:01 AM) *

Hey Bill,

billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 3 2012, 08:54 AM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif

i'd like to see that too!

if you have that many sets of jackstands, would make an interesting picture, poke.gif

you might get some complaint letters from you neighbors soon too,

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 3 2012, 08:01 AM) *

Hey Bill,

Phil...you have seen most of them! smile.gif
Only one is on jackstands...the rest are on wheels and run.(well....except for the green one at scottyb's)
Of the six, three are registered and the '76 will be registered soon!

I don't have a "family photo"....yet!

Here are the individual photos!

The one that started it all..... BarberDave's car ('73 1.7):

IPB Image

The second car...redshift's car..soon to be parted out...'74 2.0:

IPB Image

The third car... '76 2.0 (engine out...under the knife):

IPB Image

The fourth car.....'utah914's car..'74 2.0...at scottyb's for major cosmetic surgey:

IPB Image

The fifth car...SUNAB914's car...'75 2.0:

IPB Image

The sixth car....'73 2.0

IPB Image
mepstein
6 teeners smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif

wingnut86
914 - Bill's new "Tax Deferment" plan... idea.gif

Bill, strap pontoons to each one, install a small grill/porta-potty/foam mattress in each, spend at least 1 night every 4 weeks in each car and you may qualify for a 2nd home discount against your earnings in South Carolina.

Oh, make sure your "914 Boat" remains moored or docked year round to qualify - large kiddy pools for each one maybe??

WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 3 2012, 09:40 AM) *

914 - Bill's new "Tax Deferment" plan... idea.gif

Bill, strap pontoons to each one, install a small grill/porta-potty/foam mattress in each, spend at least 1 night every 4 weeks in each car and you may qualify for a 2nd home discount against your earnings in South Carolina.

Oh, make sure your "914 Boat" remains moored or docked year round to qualify - large kiddy pools for each one maybe??

WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Maybe I'll strap them all together and make a tornado magnet (mobile home)!
SUNAB914
hissyfit.gif barf.gif
Damn, forgot how much I missed my car.
great pics though. beer.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 3 2012, 09:48 AM) *

hissyfit.gif barf.gif
Damn, forgot how much I missed my car.
great pics though. beer.gif

Your car is doing great!

I don't know what I'll do when they are all registered and running the road. I guess I'll have to drive a different one every day!
SUNAB914
That's what i did. have fun.
Thanks for the pics!
SUNAB914
Click to view attachmentLittle humor.
DRPHIL914
Chris, i under stand, and to think i had first crack at buying that car and passed- headbang.gif hissyfit.gif chair.gif
knew i would regret that, - guess i will go jump in the boxter and drown my regret smile.gif

a nice fleet there Bill -

cant wait to see how that Green car is coming along- what is up with that?

calling scotty B- i have not seen any updates on any of scotty's projects lately...
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 3 2012, 10:10 AM) *

Chris...that is awesome. Anyone know if that green 914 is for sale?... av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 3 2012, 10:17 AM) *

Chris, i under stand, and to think i had first crack at buying that car and passed- headbang.gif hissyfit.gif chair.gif
knew i would regret that, - guess i will go jump in the boxter and drown my regret smile.gif

a nice fleet there Bill -

cant wait to see how that Green car is coming along- what is up with that?

calling scotty B- i have not seen any updates on any of scotty's projects lately...

"He who hesitates is lost"... biggrin.gif

Scotty has gone quiet. I think he is overwhelmed by all the work he has! poke.gif
billh1963
Anyway...to get back on track...thank you for all the input of what I should change out. I'll be placing orders for most of this stuff today! piratenanner.gif

wingnut86
I think someone mentioned this, but don't forget the grommets for the SS gas lines through the bulkhead if they need it.

Have you got one of Tom T's fuse buffer setups for the battery tray. Definitely add that as well to limit fires in the engine bay...
Porschef
If you pull the engine and have the original fuel lines, consider changing to SS, Chris' kit is sweet.

Nice collection of cars, wow.

Curt, with all due respect, I did the galley plugs with the engine assembled. It was a point of hesitation when I bought the motor, the fact that they weren't done. However, the technique I used worked, but it created large sweat drops on my forehead. But afterward, I found no evidence of shavings, and never found any in the sump screen either.

I used a 37/64ths drill bit, Chris rented my the tap. Anything that can provide mo peace of mind when driving an almost 40 year old car is welcome stuff.

Joe

And I plan on dropping the engine late fall also, to change the front main seal. It's my only leak.
type47
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 3 2012, 05:59 AM) *

I don't know what I'll do when they are all registered and running the road. I guess I'll have to drive a different one every day of the week!

Good plan. Seven days in a week lets you buy one more biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
popcorn[1].gif
I thought this was a good post.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 5 2012, 04:45 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
I thought this was a good post.

I just got all the tin, heat exchangers, and fan housing off. Now I have to clean all the stuff and get the tin powder coated. Parts should be in soon.

I was told when I bought the car that the heads had recently been done. I believe it. The heads are clean, pushrod tubes are new, and the heat exhanger bolts were new!

IPB Image
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Bill:

THis is the 1 st. time I had a chance to see them all. OMG my heart nearly

stopped when I saw my old car, please , pray.gif please tell me that that is just a reflection

of something on the side and not what it looks like! pray.gif Dave slap.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Aug 7 2012, 07:29 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Bill:

THis is the 1 st. time I had a chance to see them all. OMG my heart nearly

stopped when I saw my old car, please , pray.gif please tell me that that is just a reflection

of something on the side and not what it looks like! pray.gif Dave slap.gif

Dave...it's just a reflection! The car is just like the day it left Ohio....I promise! biggrin.gif

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 3 2012, 10:43 AM) *

If you pull the engine and have the original fuel lines, consider changing to SS, Chris' kit is sweet.

Nice collection of cars, wow.

Curt, with all due respect, I did the galley plugs with the engine assembled. It was a point of hesitation when I bought the motor, the fact that they weren't done. However, the technique I used worked, but it created large sweat drops on my forehead. But afterward, I found no evidence of shavings, and never found any in the sump screen either.

I used a 37/64ths drill bit, Chris rented my the tap. Anything that can provide mo peace of mind when driving an almost 40 year old car is welcome stuff.

Joe

And I plan on dropping the engine late fall also, to change the front main seal. It's my only leak.

piratenanner.gif

I commend you. Your balls are bigger than mine!!!!! I would have been sweating bullets. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.