Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milling Turbo Valve Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
t collins
I'm ready to mill my turbo valve covers and was wondering should I mill the ribs down from end to end or just the area around the suspension console ears idea.gif Does anyone think it makes any differance one way or the other? confused24.gif
Thanks, Tom
jtf914
I milled them from end to end. It would probably work to only mill them around the suspension ears.
mepstein
I had the whole length milled down.
toolguy
I pulled all the studs out and used allen socket head bolts instead. It really makes life a lot easier and you can keep all the fins on the covers. . makes them less susceptible to warping.
mepstein
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 2 2012, 07:54 PM) *

I pulled all the studs out and used allen socket head bolts instead. It really makes life a lot easier and you can keep all the fins on the covers. . makes them less susceptible to warping.

But more chance of stripping out the threads from the alum heads.
toolguy
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 2 2012, 07:54 PM) *

But more chance of stripping out the threads from the alum heads.

Liquid Teflon thread sealer is your friend. .
RiqueMar
Does it make it less susceptible to warping? Sure. If you're that concerned about warping your valve covers, then by all means only cut down the corresponding section.

Personally, when I had my 2.9, I didn't think it was that big of deal, and I took a 'form over function' approach. I also happen to think it looks better.... Even though it hangs on the bottom of the engine and almost no one will see it.

wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
t collins
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 2 2012, 05:32 PM) *

Does it make it less susceptible to warping? Sure. If you're that concerned about warping your valve covers, then by all means only cut down the corresponding section.

Personally, when I had my 2.9, I didn't think it was that big of deal, and I took a 'form over function' approach. I also happen to think it looks better.... Even though it hangs on the bottom of the engine and almost no one will see it.

wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I tend to agree, end to end it is.
Thanks,

Krieger
I did just what was necessary. I figured it would be beneficial to leave as much surface area for cooling. It is the exhaust valve cover...
scotty b
I like them done all the way. Only doing the small section necessary makes it look like a mod, whereas milling it all the way looks stock IMHO. I really doubt the small amount being taken off will affect colling at all confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.