Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw505
Every time I press my brake brakes my tach. drops to zero and as does.everything else. Is this being coused buy the peddle witch?
cwpeden
QUOTE(vw505 @ Aug 2 2012, 10:42 PM) *

Every time I press my brake brakes my tach. drops to zero and as does.everything else. Is this being coused buy the peddle witch?

This has been on the forum a few times and there has been a few solutions. Typically its been because of a bad or weak ground. Mine was the left rear taillight bucket connections and the ground point next to the relay board.

I suggest removing your tail lights completely and cleaning all connections then reassemble making sure none of the wires are pinched or spade connectors touching. I had a corroded and broken spade connector touching another where the wires go from the light bucket to the reflectors. Then make your way back to the pedal switch checking connections and cleaning.

Draw a diagram and mark the wires before removing them!

Good luck
Dave_Darling
Usually this is a fuse that has popped or has very dirty contacts. I think #8 or #9.

Remember, these fuses can pop and sometimes still look OK until you remove them. So pull each one out and look at it; if the metal doesn't fall off the ceramic part in two pieces, it should be fine. When you put the fuse back in, rotate it in its holder to scrape off any corrosion on the fingers.

--DD
vw505
Cleaned the grounds and replaced the fuse. Looks like I saved myself from buying a new switch. They work fine now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.