Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Ljet start up performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Ok, if you've got an engine with a properly functioning Ljet system, how does it fare on initial cold startup, through full warmup?

I'm asking because I'm feeling that I'm only a step away from being able to reach in, turn the key, and have a good cold idle....but I don't. What happens, she'll start fine, idle just around 1000 rpm, then a couple of throttle blips seem to make her want to stall. Idle is then low, but will come up about right after warm up after driving.

I have no driving issues; she pulls nicely cold or warm.

I've checked thoroughly for vacuum leaks, checked the AAR (closes with voltage), the cold start valve (opens with voltage) and the Thermo time switch, although I'm not convinced it's doing it's thing . I put it in the freezer and got resistance, then once it warmed up it went to infinity...

2056w 9550 cam. And no, I haven't put an AFM on her yet; have a Bosch shop up the street that I'll see if they've got one....

Thanks

Joe
jim_hoyland
My L-Jet starts quickly, idle jumps up to 1,400 - 1,600 rpm--depending on the temperature. As the motor warms up and the AAR closes, the idle drops back to 1,000--which is what I set the idle at.

The start up process was improved tremendously after installing the Mallory Unilite distributed. Bought mine from Tangerine Racing; they set the curve for the stock L-Jet.

The AAR should completely close in / around 2 minutes when 12 volts is applied. I bench tested mine several times .

Porschef
Thanks Jim,

That's what I'm hoping for...the Mallory unit sounds very tempting, I had been looking at it.

Sounds like your's is dialed in as it should.

Joe
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 3 2012, 06:06 AM) *

Thanks Jim,

That's what I'm hoping for...the Mallory unit sounds very tempting, I had been looking at it.

Sounds like your's is dialed in as it should.

Joe

If you talk with Chris at Tangerine and explain how your engine is set up, he'll get you going in the right direction. The Unilite I installed does not have the vac advance--there are two available. This was the best investment made to the 914 that resulted in improved consistent performance.... smile.gif
Valy
My ljet has a good cold start.
Seems to me that the temp sensor or the AAR don't follow the exact warming profile.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 3 2012, 08:20 AM) *

If you talk with Chris at Tangerine and explain how your engine is set up, he'll get you going in the right direction.

We've been in communication, type.gif
but I haven't replied to Joe's last email on the cold idle issue. yellowsleep[1].gif
Both the AAR and the temp sensor are possible sources of the problem.
Porschef
Chris, are you referring to the CHT? I just swapped it out with the one I had set up with a spacer....no difference. It's my only bug...that and adjusting the arm so the fuel pump doesn't go on immediately before cranking the engine.

Otherwise, she's running real nice piratenanner.gif (qarl ain't dancin this morning)

BTW, I stopped in at a local Bosch shop....all they said was "uh-oh" when I walked in..they have a great rep but the head mechanic said he hadn't worked on one of these is 25 or so years... dry.gif
Als914
The L-jet system is closed looped, check that you have good seals every where including the oil vent cap and the gas cap seal ring. It could make a big difference. I also added a rubber gasket detween the thottle body and plenum.
Porschef
QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 3 2012, 12:37 PM) *

The L-jet system is closed looped, check that you have good seals every where including the oil vent cap and the gas cap seal ring. It could make a big difference. I also added a rubber gasket detween the thottle body and plenum.

Thanks Al, been through all leak points w some carb cleaner, al seems good.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 3 2012, 09:37 AM) *

The L-jet system is closed looped...

Good idea for this problem, wrong terminology. For fuel injection systems, "closed loop" means that there is feedback from the engine to the fuel system--specifically, there is an O2 sensor in the exhaust which can tell the fuel system what the mixture is doing.

None of the 914s were closed-loop by that definition.

Of course, what you said was very correct about the intake system.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.