Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In praise of POs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
We've all read horror stories of DAPOs who did all the wrong things to their 914s. We rarely hear the other side, where the Previous Owner did everything right and passed the car on better than the way he found it. My 914 had such a PO. When I got my current 914, six and a half years ago, it was a great running, cosmetically challenged car. It needed paint, but the interior had been redone and the engine and transmission had been rebuilt by the owner. Also included were a bunch of spare parts.

So last week the idle started to get sketchy and then nonexistent. Over the course of the next hour it was running progressively worse til it would not rev over 4k and felt like it had a governor on the throttle; sounded like it was missing on at least 2 cylinders also. Talked to Greenie, (I know, I know...I actually do know better) but he was no help. smile.gif Then I asked Nate (aircooledtechnology) about it at breakfast today and he quickly diagnosed a failed MPS and described how my symptoms matched the behavior of a cracked diaphragm over a few miles.

This is where the PO comes in. One of the parts included with the car was an NOS Bosch 043 MPS...in the box. Got back from the swap meet with Greenie, we popped the vacuum line and connector off and put them on the NOS unit....voila!....it's all good!

So thanks to Alan Lebec for being such a great caretaker of a 914. I hope the next owner of my car can say that about me.
NORD

driving.gif

You now have NO excuse for not making the Artist Point Drive.
Dave_Darling
That's another reason I will never sell my 914. I've done enough half-*ssed things to the car that I know I would hear about them from the next owner...

--DD
greenie
Well it could have been the muffler bearings! confused24.gif

Now it's time to discuss my door handle that you broke? chair.gif
KELTY360
You mean we're not finished with that discussion? yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yawn.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 4 2012, 02:31 PM) *

You mean we're not finished with that discussion? yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yawn.gif yellowsleep[1].gif

This might be a good time for another"peeling back the onion" thread. stromberg.gif
bembry
Neat story, but I just can't relate...
Totally foreign to me hearing about a good PO
Thestigz06
Not to derail at all but be blessed you had a PO that was at least half-minded of maintainence...

I get in my car alot and say to myself "This was a brand new car at one point. someone picked this one out of all the others off the lot and it was their baby.....WTF HAPPENED?!"

Just my $.02 or rather things i feel the need to share at 2am biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
nate is grossly underpaid. he buys his own b-fast and you get a running car.

k
ConeDodger
Talked to Greenie, (I know, I know...I actually do know better) but he was no help. smile.gif

Fairly certain he was hoping The General would answer... I know I would have! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.