Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "G" red light?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
I noticed that my volt gauge was reading low, 10v at idle and the red light on the side of the large dash gauge was red (G). At first, I was able to make it turn off by reving the engine, but the volt gauge did not change. Now the red light is on all the time, regardless of rpm. Any thoughts? Where do I look first?
VaccaRabite
Bad alternator.

Check for crappy connections and wires, but its a bad alternator.

Zach
hot_shoe914
Try checking the first.
Rand
Dirty voltage regulator connections can cause this. Since it's so simple to check, just try wiggling the VR first while it's idling to see if the light goes out or blinks. If it has any effect, take the VR out, clean the contact posts, maybe spread them a little.
TheCabinetmaker
Hot shoe meant check the belt first.
jsayre914
I also had a similar problem once and i pulled the three prong plug on the relay board and pushed it back on tight and problem was gone. Check for any loose wires on the board, make sure all plugs are pressed down snug

good luck.

I think it could also come on if there is a loose wire on the starter, but im not sure on that one

confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
Check the Voltage Regulator first and try cleaning the contacts!
Check your grounds second!
Check your Alternator third!
914Bryan
Came up with this from Pelican.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914qa/914Q..._alternator.htm

Bad ground at the battery. Easy fix, thank goodness!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.