Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for fuse-panel relay socket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Starting to finalize wiring the SHO V6 motor together with 914 electrical system (which is also getting rewired). I need to add relays for the SHO components; FP, AC, Fans. Is there a source for the rubber relay socket base used in he 914's fuse panel?

TIA
wingnut86
Jeff Bowlsby may have a resource...
Mike Bellis
I would recommend going with a more modern socket. The round rubber are obsolete and the connections are known to corrode and weaken over time.

Unless you are soldering and "going for a look" to match the original harness, think about updating.

I am running modern Bosch square sockets. This allows for new relays not used 40 year old ones. I also kept the modern ECU and wiring seporate from the original 40 year old wiring. In case I want to return to another engine combo.

Just my $.02...
3d914
wingnut, I'll give Jeff a try, but last I'm queried him about parts he only seemed interested in doing harnesses.

Mike, where did you get your Bosch square sockets? I want something I can mount to a flat panel. I've seen & bought the interconnecting bosch sockets with wires, but they don't come with a mounting method - except on the relay itself - not what I'm after.

Also, I already bought the upgraded 914 fuse panel that uses the round rubber sockets - but I'm sure I could convert it if needed.
wingnut86
I like this thought as well idea.gif

Mike?

popcorn[1].gif
Phoenix-MN
Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20
ruby914
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 5 2012, 04:04 PM) *

$65 It that real?
I used the WRX relay holders. I think, I have many holders on the 914 harness that I took out. Used but there yours if you want them. I will go take a look and make sure.
wingnut86
yep, Holee SHITE.

Thems expensive little do-hickeys WTF.gif
ruby914
Got a hand full. But I think I would bust out the $1.25 for the Bosch.
PM me, if you want them.
RON S.
I wanted to clean up some of the wiring in my front trunk due to adding relays for fans and such, so I took a trip to a junkyard with a set of wire cutters, and clipped out a few power distribution modules from various cars until I found one that looked suitable for fitment in my teener next to the battery. I kept looking at units until I found a module with the older style relays. Not the newer type with the skinny pins.

The look made everything look much more professional.
Mine has 3 relays, all used, about 30 fuse sockets, and 4 big fuse sockets. Wiring it to work was no big deal. The 15 amp fuses feed the relay switch, and the bigger 30 amper's fuse the battery feeds.

IIRC the unit I used came from a late '90s Grand Am.

All told it was about 10 bucks total, and a Saturday afternoon's worth of work.

Ron
andys
I used a gang relay panel for the modern type relays on mine. Available from Haywire, Inc.
Andys

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(RON S. @ Aug 6 2012, 03:41 PM) *

IIRC the unit I used came from a late '90s Grand Am.

Probably not from a Grand Am with Ford-branded relays in it. smile.gif

--DD
3d914
Great feedback guys, thanks.

Paul, I about choked when I saw the price of those on PP. Too much

mike, great links. Thanks. I'll add them to my list. Got a while yet to work out details on the final install in the car.

ruby, thanks for the offer. You may hear from me. In addition to the 6-7 relays for the 914 there are 5 added for SHO PCM, Coolant fans (2x), AC, and FP. My concern for the Porsche bases is I'm not sure of the amp limit. But I will need to replace some of the stock ones.

ron, nice setup. Over on the SHO forum, one of the guys suggested this.

Click to view attachment

If I get some time this weekend I'll be able to finish wiring the temp relays/sockets for the bench test. I'll post a pic if I get time to work on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.