Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 205 50 15 tire size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Bertus
I am currently running 205 65 15s street tires on my fuchs. Looking to upgrade to a extreme performance summer tire 205 50 15s. Could there be a clearance issue with going to the 205 50 15s? Have about 5 inches of clearance in the front. Didn't appear to be any extreme performance tires in 55 or 60.

Thanks for any input!
Randal
QUOTE(Bertus @ Aug 5 2012, 08:45 PM) *

I am currently running 205 65 15s street tires on my fuchs. Looking to upgrade to a extreme performance summer tire 205 50 15s. Could there be a clearance issue with going to the 205 50 15s? Have about 5 inches of clearance in the front. Didn't appear to be any extreme performance tires in 55 or 60.

Thanks for any input!

Are you looking for a street tire or a racing tire and if a racing tire which venues?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Bertus @ Aug 5 2012, 07:45 PM) *

Thanks for any input!

DML Tire calculator gives you all the info you want.........
Bertus
Tires would be for autocross. Originally I was going to get another set of rims and get a more aggressive race tire, but due to financial constraints I was thinking of getting something I could drive to the track. Been looking at Kumho Ecsta XS and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. Since the car sits so low already (PO may have lowered the front) I am a little concerned that going to the 50 that I will be too low to the ground.
Randal
QUOTE(Bertus @ Aug 6 2012, 05:24 AM) *

Tires would be for autocross. Originally I was going to get another set of rims and get a more aggressive race tire, but due to financial constraints I was thinking of getting something I could drive to the track. Been looking at Kumho Ecsta XS and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. Since the car sits so low already (PO may have lowered the front) I am a little concerned that going to the 50 that I will be too low to the ground.

Your idea is a good one. Just save your money and get a set of Hoosiers and put them on different rims. Like cookie cutters that I just sold for $50.00 each.

Get the Hoosiers hot and they stick like nothing else. Here is a picture of my car with 205's on it before the car was flared. You will love them, seriously. smilie_pokal.gif

And don't forget to dial in some camber when you run Hoosiers. Also if your going to spend money on good tires, like the Hoosiers, make sure your car is corner balanced. CBing is maybe one of the most important things you can do.

Click to view attachment
Bertus
Thanks Randal. Appreciate the advice.
steuspeed
I just got a set of these Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tires in a 195/55/15. My second set of Fuch wheels should be delivered today. I think its going to be a nice combo of light weight tire plus stickiness. Shorter than stock, but taller than a 205/50/15.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
Bertus
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 6 2012, 11:06 AM) *

I just got a set of these Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tires in a 195/55/15. My second set of Fuch wheels should be delivered today. I think its going to be a nice combo of light weight tire plus stickiness. Shorter than stock, but taller than a 205/50/15.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Something to think about. Thanks.
Woody
You didn't mention if you were looking for a DOT competition tire. Last year I was using Toyo RA1s in 205/50/15 as a compromise between street and AX before I went 5 lug and flared. I think it was a good tire for where I was at the time. Now I run hankook AX tires on a separate set of rims and use what's left of the toyos on the street.
Bertus
QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 6 2012, 04:22 PM) *

You didn't mention if you were looking for a DOT competition tire. Last year I was using Toyo RA1s in 205/50/15 as a compromise between street and AX before I went 5 lug and flared. I think it was a good tire for where I was at the time. Now I run hankook AX tires on a separate set of rims and use what's left of the toyos on the street.

I ended up ordering a set of Kumho ECSTA XS today, which seem to be a decent in between tire. Eventually I want to get another set of rims with track tires on them.

I have a lot of AX driving/learing to do before I jump into that though.
Woody
QUOTE(Bertus @ Aug 6 2012, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 6 2012, 04:22 PM) *

I have a lot of AX driving/learing to do before I jump into that though.

Well said. My car is well set up, not exactly where I want it but getting close. I think though before I go spending more money I could shave serious time by being smoother and putting forth an effort to improve my driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.