Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many parts are interchangable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Noodles
Like title asks, how similar are these cars? Just got myself a 72 parts car to steal the engine,wheels and few other things if possible. Would really like the hood,glass,mirrors,engine cover and eventually the motor if it's as good as the PO said it was.

And sorry for the dumb questions, I'm very new to the 914 addiction and not having much luck with the search function.
zonedoubt
I recommend getting a copy of the PET (914 parts list with part numbers). Then you can search and compare part across the years until your heart's content.
Mikey914
Many items will be interchangable. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Noodles @ Aug 5 2012, 09:37 PM) *
...hood,glass,mirrors,engine cover and eventually the motor...

Hood: Yes, bolts right on.
Glass: Front and rear, yes. Door windows, no. Not sure of triangle windows.
Mirrors: Yes. The early and late STOCK ones look just a little different but they bolt right up.
Engine cover: Yes.
Motor: Yes, but. Depending on the fuel system (D-jet, L-jet, carbs, etc.) you may have some significant work to do in order to make the newer motor work in the older chassis. The 72 exhaust will work better than the stock 75 exhaust, as well.

Consider using the later transmission, gear shift linkage (all of it) and motor mounting setup.

--DD
type47
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Aug 5 2012, 08:52 PM) *

I recommend getting a copy of the PET (914 parts list with part numbers). Then you can search and compare part across the years until your heart's content.

type.gif
link to the PET is in my signature. The PET is an excellent resource and especially valuable to a new to 914 owner.
Noodles
OMG i love you guys!
r_towle
Asking what is not might be easier.

Bumpers, not without alot of work.
Door glass, not without the whole window assembly, and some work on the inner door.

Everything else, yes.

rich

bigkensteele
The dash, doors (and all window components), bumpers and shift mechanism are the major design changes between late and early cars. I believe that the front brakes are also different. I have never owned an early car, so I am speaking from what I have read here, and what I have seen when ordering parts. The fuel pump was also relocated up front on the '75/'76 cars.

Early cars are lighter due to the late heavy bumpers and associated shocks, etc. as well as the later doors being reinforced for side impact (a good thing, IMHO). I am keeping my late doors, but backdating my bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.