Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rechrome your trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Hi guys,

I'm at the point in my project where it's time to address my aluminum trim pieces. I just spent a couple of hours working on a few pieces straightening and smoothing.

My questions are these: Has anyone had their trim rechromed? What should I look for in a chromer and are there any pitfalls of which I should be aware? givemebeer.gif
McMark
I'm confused. They're aluminum, as you said. So you need to polish them, not chrome them. confused24.gif
Series9
They are chromed aluminum. I would like to have them rechromed. unsure.gif
Unclerichy
If you're speaking of the pieces that go around the 'targa' top then those were anodize from the factory. If they have been chromed, then someone else did that. The only chrome I can think of were bumpers.
Series9
Anodized? I did not know that. I'm still gonna get 'em chromed. cool.gif
736conver
They are bright dip anodized which is actually better then chrome and almost as bright.
Eric_Shea
They "are" bright dipped anodized. You need to have them "de-anodized" first (anodized metal can't be polished), then you can have them polished and re-anodized. A good anodizing shop that specializes in auto trim will know what to do. If you do it separately, you'll need to specify a "high-polish" on the aluminum before you re-anodize. Anodizing will dull the finish. Bright anodizing helps aleviate some of this but it still leaves a dull finish when compared to chrome.
Slowpoke
Seems to me that chrome on aluminum is always an iffy deal for some reason or not. But, maybe my exposure has been seeing bad work. <_<
Series9
Maybe I'll just polish the aluminum. I've already removed the anodizing from a couple of the pieces in the process of straightening and smoothing (I sanded it off). I could finish sand them with 1000 grit and get out the Mothers... idea.gif
Eric_Shea
Yup... that would work but, you'd have to keep polishing it.
bob91403
Chome plating works on rims because they're thick and very solid. Even they flake after a while because of the different temperature expansion rates of the two metals. If you try choming trim pieces, because they are fairly light, they will flex to some degree. At that point the brittle chrome would crack and flake off. Remember after you have something chromed it still has to put up with extensive polishing to smooth out the chrome finish. Bright anodizing is you best result. It's as bright as you can get without having to clearcoat or constantly polish the metal. It's already bright anodized. A good metal polish made for anodized aluminum will get it brighter. Any good polycoat will help, too.
McMark
If you just polish it you can use a protective finish polish, like Blue Magic. Someone was talking about polishing in the wheels thread and said they have bare polished Fuchs that they just retouch up with the protective polish (some protecting additive) every once in awhile and supposedly they look great.
JWest
I polished mine (wet sanded the anodizing off, straightened the dings, and sanded up to 600 grit before hitting the 6" buffing wheel).

I have not touched them in 4 months, and they still look perfect.
Series9
Right on. Thanks guys.

I'll polish 'em. smilie_pokal.gif
Series9
I did it today. Most of the trim is polished to an awesome shine. It took a long time and my hands are tired.

Start with a DA sander 125 grit.
220 and 320 dry by hand.
400, 600, 1000 and 1500 wet by hand.
Then Mothers aluminum polish, two coats.

I'd take pics, but I don't think they'd come out.

Thanks again for the advice. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.