Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minnesota loon
Transmission seems to be out of sync. Sometimes goes into 1st 2nd 3rd but then shifts back to 2nd instead of 4th. Sometimes can't get it into 1st but have 2nd 3rd and 4th. clutch issue? trans issue? All gears work when in gear. Getting there is the question. 76 914 5 speed.
mrholland2

Is the shifter lever sloppy? IF so, then some of the plastic bushings along the shift rod are bad. The one that killed me was the one at the transmission mounted shifter "console". After you check and replace those (there are instructions and parts available through Pelican), then you need to adjust the shifter, which is pretty easy. I believe those instructions are on Pelican too. The adjustment is one of those things, that if you read the directions, you can't really break.

Sean

QUOTE(minnesota loon @ Aug 6 2012, 07:42 AM) *

Transmission seems to be out of sync. Sometimes goes into 1st 2nd 3rd but then shifts back to 2nd instead of 4th. Sometimes can't get it into 1st but have 2nd 3rd and 4th. clutch issue? trans issue? All gears work when in gear. Getting there is the question. 76 914 5 speed.

JawjaPorsche
Here is the link to the shift linkage kit:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...76%29%2C%20Each

Good Luck. This really makes a difference in your shifting.
Dave_Darling
And descriptions and pics of where they go, plus more info on vague shifting:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm

--DD
Dr Evil
agree.gif shift bushings. Check the U joint as well.
minnesota loon
thanks to all. I will check it out.
iamchappy
I have found many times the Allen head cone screw on the shift rod coupler by the firewall when loose can cause this to happen......
messix
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 8 2012, 06:54 AM) *

I have found many times the Allen head cone screw on the shift rod coupler by the firewall when loose can cause this to happen......

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.