Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Motor Troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I haven't hit on a search that quite gets me to where I need, though hopefully someone has a link. I'm in the process of re-assembly of the headlight motors and mechanisms.

My right headlight motor works just fine (un-attached to the linkage at this point), but the left side doesn't, therefore I don't suspect the headlight switch. I swapped relays, and no difference on the left side. I'm thinking to jump red +12v to the green motor wire to see if the motor operates; is there any danger doing so? I figure if I that the motor is good, I can look elsewhere. I did slightly expand the relay pin tines, but it seems (from what I've read) that relay sockets are a usual suspect. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Perhaps there's a better troubleshooting sequence at this point?

Thank you,

Andys
Drums66
....Check & clean that ground wire, start there!! (connection's)
r_towle
run jumpers for positive and ground, see if the motor spins.
run jumpers for both to rule out the motor...
then as stated above, look at your ground.
If it works, start hunting wires, fuses, relays.

rich
andys
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 6 2012, 01:07 PM) *

....Check & clean that ground wire, start there!! (connection's)

I buzzed-out the grounds against a known good ground, though that doesn't eliminate a broken wire somewhere downstream.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2012, 01:15 PM) *

run jumpers for positive and ground, see if the motor spins.
run jumpers for both to rule out the motor...
then as stated above, look at your ground.
If it works, start hunting wires, fuses, relays.

rich

Rich,

That's what I was thinking in terms of jumping the red +12v to the green wire which would bypass the relay.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.