Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Conversion Products
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
IM101
*1/19/2021: First couple of updated production cradles are complete and will be shipping out tomorrow! I'll be welding and shipping the rest over the next week or so, have 18 more to go, anyone who said they were interested will be getting an email from me shortly. Good to be back!

*12/10/2020: Wanted to wait until I was close to give an update, I have completed the prototyping process and am finishing welding production cradles over the next few days, 20 in this run, with many already spoken for and many more cradles to come after.. Also have hardware arriving for the cable shift and back plate so will be able to send those out as well. Also I am updating the shifter as well, specifically adjusting the clamp on the shift rod coming out of the 5mt. The update should remove a small amount slop that can be present on some of the original kits.

*8/7/2020: Wow, 5 years since my last update, time flys.  Apologies for going no show for such a long time, and to the guys who were hoping for a kit sometime over the last 5 years really bummed and somewhat feel like I let the community down (but such is life, and family comes first as I am sure you are all familiar with).  On to the good news, I just confirmed and paid for my first laser-cutting order in a long time, 4 new prototype parts that should be the pinnacle of my original cradle design. adjusting a few of the quirks from the original design (Ex: perfect axle alignment, OEM Transmission mount etc.). I also have been working with a new CAD application I have been able to do some modeling (link to photo) which has me excited about future possibilities.
The biggest benefit of the new design will be in much easier/quicker production time, eliminating a lot of tube prep/bending. Which for me is huge as the main issue holding me back over the years is time. I am actually working to further reduce production efforts, but that will come later in the year as I have the process more ironed out.

For now and most importantly for all of you, my plan is to have 20 cradles / trans hangers ready to ship by the end of August.
I'll reach out to those who have emailed me in the past with interest for a cradle but feel free to ping me again if you want one. Also have a business line set up, feel free to shoot me a text as well: 208-817-0141

*1/26/2015: After a rocky year, Re-focusing, moving the shop, and getting some help.

*12/9/2013: Back up and running, planning to ship parts at the end of next next week!

* 09/6/2013: In Boise ID! we move into a new apartment on the 10th, onto a good job lead that should give me some time to begin the process of reopening Coldwater. Please email ian@coldwater914.com if you are interested and ready to buy parts as it will help me to schedule production.

* 07/11/2013: I Get married tomorrow and will be gone on honeymoon/moving probably until mid august. feel free to email me with any questions, I will respond when I'm back stateside and settled. Thanks for all the support!!

*Update 05/20/2013: Liquidating stock to get ready for a wedding/move to Boise. 5% off normal prices, an ej22t, and a couple of transmissions.

*Update 09/12/2012: very exited to announce that my website is live! feel free to check it out coldwater914.com. It is a work in progress but I'm very please with how it is turning out.

I’m very excited to announce that I will be doing my first production run of cradles this coming weekend august 11th. In concert with this first production run I also am coming out with several other drivetrain related products. Below is a list of what I will have ready to ship the beginning of next week.

It should be noted that the last item on the list, the Hybrid Axles, are not quite ready to go yet. Pending a final test fit and a boost in capital (hopefully from this first production run), I will be able to put in a stocking order with SAW and have them ready to ship in 3 weeks.

If you want to help out with the stocking order feel free to officially pre order the axles when you pay for the rest of your order, If you chose to preorder the axles, I will ship them for free (domestic only) when they come in.
At this time I’m ready to start taking informal pre orders, (the list has already been started and two of the ten cradles are already claimed) just send me a note letting me know what you would like.

(Shipping not included in price)

-Engine Cradle- 500$
Click to view attachment
(pictured cradle is a prototype set up with 4cly only engine mounts, new style designed to accept Subaru mounts)

Save yourself uncounted hours and get this bolt in engine cradle. Designed to be as universal as possible the cradle works with the stock 914 chassis mounting points as well as stock Subaru engine mounts, enabling the use of either a 901 or Subaru transmission. Made from .095" wall steel tubing and .25" laze cut steel, the cradle is burly enough to accept any Subaru motor from the four cylinder ej series to the 3.3/3.6L sixes.

-5mt Transmission Hanger- 75$
Click to view attachment

Take your 914 Subaru conversion to the next level, by upgrading to a Subaru 5mt transmission. The transmission hanger incorporates seamlessly into your Cold Water Engine Cradle, allowing you to install/remove the transmission without dropping the cradle/engine

-FWD Spline Coupler- 175$
Click to view attachment

This coupler replaces the center differential in the Subaru 5mt, locking the transmission into front wheel drive. Formed solely in the US from a single piece of high strength 4140 alloy steel and hardened to perfection, you can be sure that only quality parts are going into your transmission.

-5mt Back Plate- 100$
Click to view attachment

For those who understand that a thin piece of aluminum with some wholes cut should not cost 200+ this plate is a, no nonsense, get it done, part. Laser cut out of marine grade aluminum and including the necessary hardware, it can be described as simple, quality.

-Late Trans Stubs- 100$

Later Subaru 5mt’s use an all in one DOJ(inner CV) that is incompatible with the design of a 914, however the later transmissions, no matter the visual similarities, are stronger than the earlier ones. to convert these late transmissions to use the older style female DOJ and stub, it is usually necessary to open up the transmission to install a set of the older Stubs and oil seals. Not the case anymore, with the right axle stubs/oil seals from Subaru and ten minutes of time a transmission can be ready to rock the necessary DOJ.

-Urethane Cradle Mounts- 85$
For that sweet spot between stock rubber and solid mounts these Urethane mounts help to kill weld cracking, bolt loosening, vibration while replacing soft/old/cracking rubber mounts that will fail after too much heavy use. The simple design is a direct replacement of the stock mounts, which means even if you aren’t ready to jump into liquid cooled engines you can still tighten up shifting and replace old cracked rubber on your teener.

-Hybrid Axles- 375$

Click to view attachment

These custom, 4340 alloy, Sway-A-Way axles bridge the gap between the Subaru transmission and the 914 hubs. With Subaru splines on one side the axle will fit the 02-04 Impreza wrx DOJ. While on the outside Sway-A-Way's signature free floating splines accept both the 914 and 944 CV joint. The 02-04 wrx DOJ will fit most subaru 5mt transmissions from 93-2013

* The axles also have been found to fit other older Impreza DOJ's as well and similar year legacy DOJ's, But are not guaranteed on anything but the 02-04 wrx DOJ
** DO NOT buy after market DOJ's of any kind and expect them to work, they are made mass produced in china and the inner star/race is not stock OEM.

Feel free to ask questions biggrin.gif

Best Regards,
Ian Megale
Founder
Cold Water Conversions LLC
(503) 720-2981
IM101
10/13 Inventory:
Cradles: 0
Trans hangers: 0
Back plates: 9
Spline Coupler: 0
Hybrid Axles: 4
Urethane Mounts: 11

Trans 1: 700$
Trans 2: 800$
I have 2 Transmissions in great condition, 40-60k. they are out of an 06-07 Impreza, non turbo.

Ej22t: 700$
I have an EJ22t complete engine that looks to be in great shape, comes with a td04 turbo and perfect power 6 to run everything, the wireing will need some work, but this is a great closed deck block that can run with some serious boost.

Please Email or call to order @
ian@coldwater914.com
503-720-2981

-Regards
Ian
IM101
place holder
my928s4
Awesome, August is going to be an interesting month!

Count me in for the first run.
Lennies914
Just in time for this falls project! piratenanner.gif

I'm in for everything, minus the "late model stubs" I am working from a '98 Forrester donar.
DBCooper
All looks great. You're going to have fun and make a lot of people happy, which is all good.
ruby914
Ian,
I just want to say, your doing a great job with all this.
Honestly, when you first jumped in to it, I was skeptical.
It is a big project that takes a lot of time and commitment, with lots of risk.
To do this on top of your school load, I have to say, your doing a great job!
first.gif
IM101
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 6 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Awesome, August is going to be an interesting month!

Count me in for the first run.

It definitely is! beside the production run I'm also just about done designing the cable shift set up for the Subaru 5Mt should have the prototype done within the month.

thanks I've put you down!

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 7 2012, 06:15 AM) *

Just in time for this falls project! piratenanner.gif

I'm in for everything, minus the "late model stubs" I am working from a '98 Forrester donar.

Great I will put you down, Shoot me your address when you get a chance so i can get a shipping quote.

also you will have to probably get a set of legacy or impreza DOJ's(inner CV's) for my axles as in testing the forester had a different spline count.

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 7 2012, 08:26 AM) *

All looks great. You're going to have fun and make a lot of people happy, which is all good.

Yep I'm pretty amped to finally be at this point, R&D took a lot longer than I expected, I think I ended up with 5 or 6 revisions on the engine mounts... But pretty exited to start seeing my cradles make it to some builds.

But thanks to you DB, without you and others inspiring builds and trailblazing I don't think I'd be in this situation.
IM101
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Aug 7 2012, 09:07 AM) *

Ian,
I just want to say your doing a great job with all this.
Honestly, when you first jumped in to it, I was skeptical.
It is a big project that takes a lot of time and commitment, with lots of risk.
To do this on top of your school load, I have to say, your doing a great job!
first.gif

Thank you! it has been pretty intense, and frustrating... I would look at the next portion of designing and know exactly what i needed to do and bet it would take one or two weeks... than school or something would get in the way and more than a month later I'd finally be moving on to the next thing. But I'm here now and it all the trials seem so worth it biggrin.gif
falconfp2001
I'm in for a Cradle, Trans mount, Urethane mounts and the back-plate.

Not sure how I'm going to budget this but I'll try to work something out with all the other parts I'm buying right now. Just put me at the back of the list maybe.
matthepcat
This is very inspiring. I had been considering a new project car, but I may have decided to take mine down a new path.

Great work.
Ga Dan
This is Great, and just what I have been waiting for. I sent a message but not sure it went through. I would like to be on your purchase list and have a few questions.
Lennies914
pm sent
IM101
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Aug 7 2012, 10:28 AM) *

I'm in for a Cradle, Trans mount, Urethane mounts and the back-plate.

Not sure how I'm going to budget this but I'll try to work something out with all the other parts I'm buying right now. Just put me at the back of the list maybe.

Cool I will put you on as tentative and let you know if the spots are going to be filled.

If you can send me an address that would enable me to get an accurate shipping estimate.

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 7 2012, 12:51 PM) *

This is very inspiring. I had been considering a new project car, but I may have decided to take mine down a new path.

Great work.

aktion035.gif thats just what i want to hear biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Ga Dan @ Aug 7 2012, 05:46 PM) *

This is Great, and just what I have been waiting for. I sent a message but not sure it went through. I would like to be on your purchase list and have a few questions.

It did not, try again or feel free to ask me on this thread, I don't mind, as long as its not something like "for the Subaru conversion, explain all the options and their respective pro/con's..." because that would take a long long time, and i have to weld some cradles this weekend biggrin.gif
eric914
PM sent. Put me down for a cradle
Heater Guy
FYI:
Here is how I made my cable shift setup. Works Great with a modified MR2 shifter.
IM101
Looking good guys! if you have not already please send your adress so i can get shipping estimateswhen i send the invoices out for payment.

Im planning on doing all the quotes at the same time early next week after im done welding. this way its more of a deffinit price as compared to giving rough estimates on dimension and wieght.

also I should mention that right now im set up for paypal or good old fasion checks.
IM101
Nice, different from others that I've seen but a good design. I still think im going to go a little diferent dirction however. I posted a shot of the basic design in my other thread if you would like to see.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=146674
(end of page 6)

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Aug 8 2012, 03:39 PM) *

FYI:
Here is how I made my cable shift setup. Works Great with a modified MR2 shifter.

IM101
Update:
should have known that it was not going to be an easy first run. I had the tube notcher give out on me at the wrong time, and then after that was taken care of, i still had some pulling issues on the fixture.
I could have pushed it through and the cradles probably would have been close enough to work, but I couldnt sell somthing that's not on par. I will be working on a solution and hopefully will have the production run complete by the end of next weekend.

Hopefully you guys can understand.

also i should clarify with my current work schedual the weekend for me is mon/tue.
my928s4
Better to do it right than rush, no worries an extra week or 2 on my part.

Question, in preparation what HW do we need to mount the cradle to the body and cradle to engine/transmission? Maybe this sounds dumb but if I need to re-use some of the original 914 bolts/brackets mine are toast. If I need to go get some items now might be a good time!

Cheers
IM101
Good to hear chris, on the hardware the cradle to the body, it comes with the necessary 1/2" grade 5 hardware (grade 5 used intentionally as in case of impact i would rather have the bolts bend then shear like grade 8). simlarly the trans hanger comes with the proper metric hardware. the engine to cradle connection is based off of the stock subaru mounts, and i assume that each mount should have the OEM nut with it.
Rod
I love this! Just read through both your threads about conversion. Hats off to you.

When you have a full kit available give me a call, I'm in the UK and want to land one box at customs that will get the job done in its entirety..

IM101
piratenanner.gif Awesome! I have a cradle in AU and would love to have one in GB!

I saw your post over in the "cost no object" thread, lets see if we can get you set up with a less expensive version of the beast you described there! evilgrin.gif
IM101
Update:
Netting it, I ran into some unforeseen time restraints and didn’t get to finish the production run. I have everything going and will easily be able to finish/start shipping by next Wednesday. On Monday I will send out official invoices/payment details to everyone who messaged me.
The long version of what happened is I ran into some issues with the fixture (technically it’s a jig now) and welding process that resulted in the cradles not fitting correctly. I was tempted to just band-aid the situation and forge ahead with the production to get the cradles out but that would risk customers possibly dealing with fit issues, unacceptable. So I did it the right way, a complete re-prototyped cradle and tear down/build up of the Jig. Took most of my weekend, three engine pull/installations but I got it done. The Jig is perfect and tested and I refined the welding process so that there is zero pull (warping) of the cradles. In summery im very pleased with the results and quite confident in the fit and finish.
IM101
Good news, managed to complete enogh cradles to fill the imidiate pre-orders. tomorrow i plan to get the shipping quotes all figured out and sendoff the invoices to whoever was interested. I will need an email address from those who haven't already sent one.
Thursday I plan to finish welding the trans hangers and the rest of the cradles if I have time. More importantly I plan on packaging up the orders to ship on Friday! right now Im set up to accept pay-pal or checks. I may just end up getting card processing up to speed tomorrow as-well.

It's finally here guys!!! piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment
gonzalezllg
Good Afternoon

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered. Will this kit accommodate a Subaru 6 Cyl Engine (EZ or EG series) with Subaru Trans?
Thanks
IM101
first of all... welcome.png

Secondly i have no problem answering questions biggrin.gif. If you notice in my product description on the first page i do mention that it will work for the 3.3 and 3.6 Liter 6's. But to clarify yes my engine cradle will work with the eg33 and the EZ series (EZ30D, EZ30R, EZ36R) engines. The trans hanger then incorporates into the engine cradle and will accept any of the subaru 5 speed manual transmissions. It may also work with the new 2010-2012 6 speed transmission but i have not had one to test yet.

to see some other info regarding 6clys look for my other threads by clicking on my screen name to go to my profile page, click on the upper right hand box on that page that says profile options and either search my posts or threads.
gonzalezllg
QUOTE(IM101 @ Aug 29 2012, 10:21 AM) *

first of all... welcome.png

Secondly i have no problem answering questions biggrin.gif. If you notice in my product description on the first page i do mention that it will work for the 3.3 and 3.6 Liter 6's. But to clarify yes my engine cradle will work with the eg33 and the EZ series (EZ30D, EZ30R, EZ36R) engines. The trans hanger then incorporates into the engine cradle and will accept any of the subaru 5 speed manual transmissions. It may also work with the new 2010-2012 6 speed transmission but i have not had one to test yet.

to see some other info regarding 6clys look for my other threads by clicking on my screen name to go to my profile page, click on the upper right hand box on that page that says profile options and either search my posts or threads.

Thank you very much.
Dougman
Nice work! I want to order the engine cradle, trans mounts, spline coupler, back plate, and the axles when ready. Email is douglasmower@yahoo.com. Address is 95949. Thanks, Doug
IM101
welcome.png

Thanks, I will send you an email shortly! also you may want to be careful floating your email out like that, good way to pick up spam, i have it written down so feel free to edit your post and delete it.
dian
did you get any shipping quotes to england yet? i am in switzerland.
IM101
Dian, I hadn't yet because I assumed that overseas guys customers are going to wantas much of the conversion products I can make. Since I'm getting real close to ordering the axles and finishing the prototype 5mt cable shifter I guess it won't hurt to find out. Not to mention I woke up, saw your post, and cannot get back to sleep now thinking about it smile.gif
Give me a sec
IM101
these are just rough estimates and i would need exact shipping address to be more accurate.

So to both UK and Switzerland, I'm coming up with two options. First option i ship the cradle and other gear complete ready to bolt on in a large package (44x10x43in at 45lbs). pricing i could find for that was quite expensive ranging from 600-900$ UPS, FedEx, DHL

The next option is if you have the ability to get some welding done I could possibly send a modified cradle in a smaller box (44x10x22) which opens up USPS at 200-300$

Should be noted that this option would only be available for international customers.
dian
so what is the advantage of your craddle over separate engine and trans mounts?
IM101
The main advantage would be in the way the engine is supported, on one hand you have an engine cradle, which literally cradles the engine, suspending it with no undue or differing stress relative to how Subaru originally mounted it. On the other hand for example, if you used a stock 914 bar and welded on some runners with the mounts, you get a separate front mount bar for the engine and a rear mount for the trans, but remember unlike the original 914 engine, the Subaru mounts are much farther rearward, creating a long span . This span would create a pseudo cantilever set up, relying on the mid-section (where the engine and trans bell housing meet, or 4-8 studs/bolts) to bridge and support the outer sections portions (the mounted engine and the mounted transmission) which on their own would want to hinge downward. Thus the entire system would rely on a single element of the design that was not specifically designed for that specific job.
Would it work? Probably… I would suggest periodically checking to make sure no nuts/bolts are backing off. Would it be optimal? No… as well as the aforementioned cantilever set up running with a bar from the front you would have to figure out a way around turbo headers/oil pan interference; So when originally designing the drivetrain mounting system I didn’t feel comfortable with those issues.
blitZ
I assume the cradle works on the 2.5 also?
IM101
yes all EJ series engines including the 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, turbo or NA engines. As well as the subaru 6's including the EG33 out of the svx and the EZ series engines.

Basically any engine from the late early 90's to 2010 will bolt up great. after 2010 subaru changed some of the engines (ex. FA and FB) that while I assume would work cannot verify.
Chris H.
Ian,

Forgive my ignorance, but can you confirm what is needed in terms of engine/tranny mounts if I use your cradle and subie tranny stuff? For the rear it looks like stock ones work or your urethane ones...how about the front?

Thanks! I am emptying my parts stash to get the coin for all of your stuff. Have a bunch of things I won't need if I convert. Great work on the kit!
Chris H.
Ian,

Maybe if I read the post just a few back I would have realized that the answer is there... biggrin.gif
IM101
Glad you figured it out Chris, and if you hadn't you needn't worry, I'm pretty forgiving smile.gif.

But for the sake of being thorough, here is a quick install guide with a complete description of the different mounts.

First engine is mounted to the cradle using the OEM Subaru mounts (which there are a plethora of aftermarket replacements for, from soft rubber to solid mounts)

Next the with the stock 914 or aftermarket mounts fully assembled a set should be in place on the front chassis points and set on the rear of the cradle. The transmission is bolted into the cradle, either directly (901) or with my hangers (5mt).

The entire assembly then mounts to the chassis utilizing the four stock mounting locations on the 914. The 4 chassis mounts can be either OEM(or similar) rubber 914 mounts, or my urethane aftermarket mounts.
jimkelly
looking forward to your shift linkage setup.

and maybe a call into terry cable is in order as they should be able to make up a custom - throttle cable - and - clutch cable, for those not going hydraulic.

speedo is a whole nother story i assume.
this gps speedo that some have used looks nice.
http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-gau...dometer_GPS.htm
but ecu will still need a vss signal i think

who best to convert stock harness, in order to use stock ecu, mounted under passenger seat?
my928s4
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 23 2012, 05:41 AM) *

who best to convert stock harness, in order to use stock ecu, mounted under passenger seat?

The only one i found was Small Car Performance and that is not cheap AND you need to supply a harness so you are looking at over a grand by the time you are done.

Usually enough incentive to do it yourself but it is going to take time, a lot of it.

Even with the Small Car harness it will need modification to hook up to the 914 harness although that is the easy part.
mepstein
Would be nice if someone could document the harness conversion, step by step. Would still take time but it's always easier with good instructions.
my928s4
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2012, 07:23 AM) *

Would be nice if someone could document the harness conversion, step by step. Would still take time but it's always easier with good instructions.

I don't want to get in the way of any plans Ian may have, if there are none I would be willing to go through this again for the benefit of others documenting the process. One thing to be wary of is there are at least two types of WRX harness (early and late) that I know off.
IM101
Haha, not stepping on my toes on this one... to make a wiring diagram/ how to would be ten time more work/energy than I have put into cold water up to this point. Why? Because unfortunately subaru didn't make the wiring quite as universal as there engine parts. So for example the ej22e from 91-93 ish has a different wiring diagram and plugs than, 93-98 there ae and again different for any after 98. That is three different set ups for one type of engine. Now throw in something similar for 2.5NA and the wrx and svx and... all of a sudden your looking at 30+ different instruction "how to's" that each need a massive amount of time to complete.

Furthermore small car has already done it... I have the instructions from sawtooths original wiring harness for an ej22e and am about to buy a DIY kit from them for an EZ30D. It comes with some sort of an electronic immulater that sends correct signals t the ecu, a big set of written instructions with pictures, and a full size wireing diagram. For a little north of 200$... well worth it in my opinion.
charliew
I'm way behind on this project, I wanted to build my own mounts but I think this will save some time. I've had way to many home projects get in the way for awhile.
PM sent.
my928s4
How are the axles and cable shifter coming along?
IM101
Axles have been ordered, and because of a slight change to the design (machining the subaru to be a replica of OEM gear to avoid sourcing custom circlips to fit) Sway-A-Way has told me 4 weeks.

Still in prototyping of the cable shifter, got my hands on an MR2 set up, which seems to be the most popular/easy shifter, and fine tuning the design of the 5mt mount. I will be sure to let everyone know when its ready.
charliew
Maybe someone that has used the mr2 shifter can give us some specs on the cable and it's ends they ordered and we could do a group buy or you can order enough to get a volume discount. Course there may not be that many that want shifter parts. The cables, their length and their ends would get me pretty much done. I really am going to try and make the rear a internal deal if I can but having the cables in case it doesn't work out would be nice. There is a lot of room in the rear housing and that would sure clean up the rear view of the car. I still have a sequential shifter goal in mind but it's a pretty big engineering deal for me. I'm hoping I can get my son involved with his solid works skills but he is busy with a new built motor suby project. I also have bought a plasma cam machine but really don't have a good place to set it up yet. I've still got a clausing mill setting in the middle of the main bay in my shop along with a two post lift setting out on the approach in front of the bay the 914 is in front of. I am making a cement block wall with columns and automatic gate on my driveway and it has taken way too long, almost as long as the extra 22 cabinet doors I added in our kitchen when I redid the kitchen, that was 6 or 7 months. I've been on the entry 3 or 4 months. I'll have to find a place for Ian's parts. I really need a toy/storage shed. My son says I need to give up a few projects as I'm running out of time.
charliew
Ian I got the cradle and tranny mounts friday afternoon. I haven't opened the box yet but the cradle looks good.
Thanks for doing this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.