Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA Solo Nationals-Where are the teeners?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jjackson
Who's going?
J Jackson WTF.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(jjackson @ Aug 7 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Who's going?
J Jackson WTF.gif

Wow-Not even some DSP,GP, or SSM in the future ...... comments.

Hopefully 2010 is "not" the last time a teener will trophy at Nats.

J
pcar916
I'm surprised too! I not only have Penelope in the body shop then, but I'll be out of state workin' that week so I'm out regardless. Naturally I'll forfeit the trophy. beerchug.gif
J P Stein
J J, I think your final trophy is safe. Without a major revamp of the SCCA's AX rules, the 914's time in the sun is over......but you must admit, a nearly 40 year run ain't bad biggrin.gif.

Brit may get one some year but how many other lunatics are gonna go the extent he did for an AX car and....is it still a 914?
jjackson
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 10 2012, 02:18 PM) *

J J, I think your final trophy is safe. Without a major revamp of the SCCA's AX rules, the 914's time in the sun is over......but you must admit, a nearly 40 year run ain't bad biggrin.gif.

Brit may get one some year but how many other lunatics are gonna go the extent he did for an AX car and....is it still a 914?

JP-40 year run ain't bad 'tall.
Car is handling well right now-We will see what this year brings.
Running 8's on the front now-Imagine that.
Don't know the answer on Brits' car -but I say its still a teener.
J beerchug.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(jjackson @ Aug 10 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Well, I'll be damned biggrin.gif
grantsfo
I think JJ is going to get beat by a girl in a Boxster. cheer.gif ....they have a gun for a gun fight now. No more stock 2.5 liter. He he he.

Man! Brit picked a bad year to run XP. Elam and McKee are XP running this year. McKee has already run faster than Fred's lotus and Elam is right in there with his new XP car.
Randal

J beerchug.gif

Running 8's is smart. flag.gif

What is interesting is folks running huge tires that never get up to the operational "temperature sweet spot" (TSS). I mean ask around. How many folks actually know the temperature where their tires start then exceed mechanical grip?
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 10 2012, 09:58 PM) *

J beerchug.gif

Running 8's is smart. flag.gif

What is interesting is folks running huge tires that never get up to the operational "temperature sweet spot" (TSS). I mean ask around. How many folks actually know the temperature where their tires start then exceed mechanical grip?

We were running 18x10 with 285 on FP Boxster similar weight to FP 914. We were spraying down tires as they were overheating at Lincoln. No issue getting them to operating temps even after rain. Suspect JJ is addressing weak 914 front suspension geometry with 8 inch wheels?

I think you will find many top SCCA guys know exactly range they need to run. At national tour in San Diego we were taking temps across all tires and dialed in operating temp that worked best for us with Avons. Trick is cooling tire down enough so at end of run youre not overheating but leaving enough heat that first turns for each driver. with Avon soft compound that range is very very low!
BMXerror
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 10 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Man! Brit picked a bad year to run XP. Elam and McKee are XP running this year. McKee has already run faster than Fred's lotus and Elam is right in there with his new XP car.

Don't forget, Fred Zust beat Jeff Keisel by over a second raw time earlier this year! XP is getting nuts! I still believe in the capability of a well prepped 914 in DP, but lord knows I don't have the budget to make that happen.
P.S. I'll be there, but in the STX car again. What we need is to campaign for 914s to be let into STR. They'd get creamed, though. dry.gif
Mark D.
grantsfo
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 11 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Don't forget, Fred Zust beat Jeff Keisel by over a second raw time earlier this year! XP is getting nuts! I still believe in the capability of a well prepped 914 in DP, but lord knows I don't have the budget to make that happen.
P.S. I'll be there, but in the STX car again. What we need is to campaign for 914s to be let into STR. They'd get creamed, though. dry.gif
Mark D.

Good luck guys! Unfortunately I have to miss this year with family wedding. I would have loved to drive my XP car to the event. Lol!

I'm thinking a vintage stock class would be cool. 914 would do ok there.

But honestly with enough preparation and a national class driver a 914 could do well in any prepared or modified class. It's just a matter of money spent fixing all the weak points of 914 , suspension, chassis and motor. Brit pretty much fixed all those areas in his car. Just needs a national level driver in the drivers seat now.
PeeGreen 914
Just can't swing it this year sad.gif

Car is still in prcess and will be there in the next year or two.

I've been spending a good deal of time getting the boy ready for his kart and he will be 8 in two years smile.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 11 2012, 03:57 PM) *

What we need is to campaign for 914s to be let into STR. They'd get creamed, though. dry.gif
Mark D.

How about STS? I think a 2.0 914 there would be closer to a fair fight, but in the end the Miata and CRX would still be fighting it out for the top spot. I know a 2.0 technically should be an STR car, but the ECU leaves no room for tuning, and the cam strangles the motor above 5k rpm. When you get Miatas with a clocked ecu that can spin to 8k, thats a sizable difference.
BMXerror
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 14 2012, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 11 2012, 03:57 PM) *

What we need is to campaign for 914s to be let into STR. They'd get creamed, though. dry.gif
Mark D.

How about STS? I think a 2.0 914 there would be closer to a fair fight, but in the end the Miata and CRX would still be fighting it out for the top spot. I know a 2.0 technically should be an STR car, but the ECU leaves no room for tuning, and the cam strangles the motor above 5k rpm. When you get Miatas with a clocked ecu that can spin to 8k, thats a sizable difference.

Agreed. And the lack of compression is at least equally as big of a issue.
Mark D.
grantsfo
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 11 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Mark D.

Holy crap dude I just saw two national level guys in STX BMWs running with PCA yesterday. Tune up for nationals. I don't envy you running that class. They were faster than most of the Porsches. They hualed butt!

mittelmotor
Hey Mark,

Good luck to you, Tom, Marshal, Christine, Jeff, et al. at the Nats! I need to get back out there...thrown off a bit by the whole (lack of) employment situation.

LS1 is days away from going into the 914...just sorting out wiring, engine bay details and of course, waiting on parts. I figure another month or so and it'll be moving under its own power. I'll bring it out and run CSM or whatever for fun a couple of times.

--Doug
BMXerror
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 19 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Holy crap dude I just saw two national level guys in STX BMWs running with PCA yesterday. Tune up for nationals. I don't envy you running that class. They were faster than most of the Porsches. They hualed butt!

LOL... Welcome to SCCA. STX is the biggest class in nats this year, and probably the most competitive. I don't have a very good shot, but we have a VERY good car, and my codriver, Jeff Stuart definitely has the skill to make it happen. Who were these two guys? I'm curious. Our biggest threats(in order of my level of concern) appear to be Bryan Heitkotter in Charlie Davis' car, Steve O'Blenes, Clint Child in the Type R, and Neil Tovsen who is reputably very fast. Of course, in a class 54 drivers deep, you could easily have an unknown show up and smoke everybody.
Hey Doug! I was wondering if you were lurking somewhere on this board. I see you're putting the new garage to good use. I look forward to seeing you out there again. Thanks for the good wishes. Not sure if you're aware, but Jeff will be flying in directly from England after running the GT Academy finals! So send him good vibes this week, too. So proud of my friend!
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.