Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: adjusting valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok wtf???? all the valves are opening and closing but they wont open enough to even get the fucking feeler gauge in there....I am running dual valve springs with 911 adjusters and I have the little caps on the valves to keep them from getting damaged by the adjusters...should I just run the regular valve train? they seem too long....
DrifterJay
and yes all the pushrods are seated...
DrifterJay
I was planning on adjusting them all to .004 like sirandy....
MattR
Did you clearence the rockers for the 911 valve adjusters?
DrifterJay
they came with the engine....which had been running before with them...but without the caps to protect the valves....
DrifterJay
I am going to throw away my engine....going in the garbage....gonna buy 2.0 turbo diesel...
Mueller
sounds like the PO of your motor didn't do the valve train correct....are the valves stainless? I'm guessing that is why you have the lash caps

there have been a few threads here on this forum explaining what you need to do and how to modify the adjusters (grinding) and check to ensure the pushrods are the correct length

easiest would be swap back to stock /4 parts, but you might as well spend the time to do it correct(?) using the 911 adjusters
DrifterJay
I go to Iraq in 8 weeks...I will use the stock rockers for now... biggrin.gif
Brett W
Hey just pull the lash caps out. The 911 adjusters don't put as much wear on top of the valves as the stock ones do.
JoeSharpOld
Jay: Where is your trash can? It would be easer for me if you put it in mine. Who did the valve train geometry? If I don't see you before you leave good luck and come back and see us.
Joe
Jake Raby
Yep, toss the valve caps.......

The 911 adjuster won't wear the stem...

Lets hope that you set the rocker geometry????? Did you???

If not, you have a disaster waiting to happen, it's silent death just lurking!
Cap'n Krusty
I'm awake, I'm awake ....................... Lose the lash caps, which were ORIGINALLY used for valve adjustment on Alfas, 906 motors, and others. Their use as valve stem protectors was developed when people started using soft valves and they were a convenient bandaid. To be used properly, the valve stem needs to be tipped the exact amount of the cap's thickness, something nobody seems to think of these days. Too many magazine writers, not enough thinking .................
911 adjusters do the same thing, allowing the adjuster to float and absorb the abuse from the pounding between the rocker and the valve. BTW, they weigh more than stock adjusters, thereby increasing valve train mass, a bad thing. Porsche went to the lash caps in the 906 to decrease the mass of the valve train, not to protect the ends of the valves, which don't wear in 911s. The 4 cam 4 cylinder motors used them, too, but in this case they were in direct contact with the cams. HTH, The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.