Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper switch funkiness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hello again,
I've sent Kevin a PM on some of the issues I'm facing with my turn signals and wipers, but perhaps I need to focus on one problem at a time. Currently, when I move the wiper switch up one notch, they function at slow speed. However, when the switch is up all the way, they stop in place, as in, they don't return. This is on a base '73. Any ideas?
914Mels
do you mean when you move the switch to the next position, the wipers stop imediately, where ever they happen to be on the windshield? There could just be a wire on the switch not connected completely or did you check to see if the relay is missing?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(914Mels @ Aug 8 2012, 04:45 PM) *

do you mean when you move the switch to the next position, the wipers stop imediately, where ever they happen to be on the windshield? There could just be a wire on the switch not connected completely or did you check to see if the relay is missing?

That is correct, they stop right where they are. I saw some threads about a relay for intermittent wipers, but I did not know there was one required for regular wipers. If we're talking about the same thing, there is no relay in the location above the gas tank on my car. Should there be one?
Valy
The black-purple wire from your switch (terminal 53b) powers the wipers in high speed.
You need to find out if it's the switch, the wire or the electrical motor.

I would start by checking that the switch is making an electrical connection between the red-black and black-purple when in high speed position.

If you have contact, then check that you get 12V at the wiper motor connector. It's a bit of PITA to access it but you can do it. I think that removing the air duct on the passenger side helps.

If you have 12V on the black-purple, you're in major problem. Try to clean the contacts and check if it helps. If not, you'll have to pull the gas tank to take the motor out.
ThePaintedMan
Okay, finally got around to troubleshooting this. Again, I have no high speed wipers, but slow works fine. I tested for 12V at the black/purple wire, and got next to nothing. The green wire is getting 12V just fine. Where does the black/purple run to? Its not on a relay, correct? So I would assume it goes right back to the wiper switch on the column? This is on a '73 1.7 without intermittent wipers.
rhodyguy
did the wipers do the the same thing when the previous (org to you) switch was installed?

k
ThePaintedMan
Doh! Nevermind, I found it. I had reverted back to the original wiper/turn signal switch because the one you sent me kept blowing fuses when I put the right signal on. Anyhow, apparently the metal tab for the purple/black wire was broken off at some point, so I had no 12v to that wire and therefore no high speed wipers. Installed Kevin's switch again, and immediately got high speed and low speed back. I then investigated why the new turn signal switch kept blowing fuses. There are three grounds on the back of the switch on the black plate. One of the ground tabs had been bent up and when it was installed in the column and tightened down, it would short against another wire. Flattened it out and no more blown fuses. SWEET! Thanks for the help fellas, and Kevin as usual smile.gif
rhodyguy
endeavor to persevere.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.