Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shocking cap and wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
converted to pertronix, ran great for a day. ran like crap the next day, and im having some electric issues.... i thought it was a timing issue, so i wentto grab the dist cap, and got shocked, and also my wires i get shocked.

my question is/and thoughts:

im thinking, wires or cap is leaking.....

the wires are 7mm and brand new made in the USA. but if im running a HEI do i need bigger wires? 8 or 9mm?

and my cap is made in mexico, kinda cheaper made than the bosch. i thought maybe it warped.

what do you guys think?

Mike Bellis
Need pictures...

Carbon tracks on the cap or wires will conduct. Electricity will flow to earth through the path of least resistance. Including your fingers.
jsayre914
never been shocked from my cap or wires, and I am also running pertronix. I even pull my wires to check for spark on ocassion and still have not been shocked.

Mabey you are really grounded
confused24.gif
broomhandle
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 8 2012, 09:45 AM) *

never been shocked from my cap or wires, and I am also running pertronix. I even pull my wires to check for spark on ocassion and still have not been shocked.

Mabey you are really grounded
confused24.gif

i wish i was really grounded.
broomhandle
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 8 2012, 09:30 AM) *

Need pictures...

Carbon tracks on the cap or wires will conduct. Electricity will flow to earth through the path of least resistance. Including your fingers.

pictures of what? me getting shocked?
Cap'n Krusty
Unless there's something you're telling us, the simple addition of a "Pertronix" unit doesn't mean you have "HEI". Get the real cap, the real rotor, and some real wires, and report back.

The Cap'n
broomhandle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Unless there's something you're telling us, the simple addition of a "Pertronix" unit doesn't mean you have "HEI". Get the real cap, the real rotor, and some real wires, and report back.

The Cap'n

i have pertronix. i thought HEI just meant non points... what ever.

and real meaning bosch?

and wires, do i need bigger than 7mm?
Dave_Darling
Try Beru wires. I know they fit better than Bosch on the 2.0 motors, and seem to be screwed together better than the standard Bosch ones.

Double-check that the wires are actually connected to the plugs. If they're not, then your hand is one of the most convenient paths to ground. (Remember that when you pull a plug wire off to check for a dead hole. If you don't remember before you do it, the pain will help you remember the next time.)

And yeah, look for carbon tracks on the cap especially.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Aug 8 2012, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2012, 10:00 AM) *

The Cap'n

i have pertronix. i thought HEI just meant non points... what ever.

and real meaning bosch?

and wires, do i need bigger than 7mm?

"HEI" means "high energy ignition". What you have is a "points replacement unit". These are purported to "clean up" the signal to the coil and they hold their position pretty much constant, as opposed to points which suffer from the effects of the passage of current and wear on the rubbing block.

Get a genuine Bosch Cap and Beru wires. Bosch wires don't fit right and, contrary to what Bosch and it's supporters would have you believe, were NEVER OE on Porsches.

The Cap'n
euro911
Also, is the ground strap on the trans clean and tight?
broomhandle
ok, ill check out those plug wires. so wire size dose not matter for the pertronix? 7mm is ok?

and tranny ground strap ill check.... i was going to anyways
Cap'n Krusty
I'm not up on aftermarket wires. I know which "OE" brands are good, and which aren't. "7mm" isn't a term with which I'm familiar. Bottom, good quality wires of any brand are probably be fine, because the performance demands are minimal. Keep in mind that "cheap wires" are just that. Cheap in every sense of the word.

The Cap'n
6freak
bad wire ...end of story......turn off the lights and shut the door you will see the arc that bit you

smile.gif
broomhandle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2012, 01:07 PM) *

I'm not up on aftermarket wires. I know which "OE" brands are good, and which aren't. "7mm" isn't a term with which I'm familiar. Bottom, good quality wires of any brand are probably be fine, because the performance demands are minimal. Keep in mind that "cheap wires" are just that. Cheap in every sense of the word.

The Cap'n

i dont purposely go after cheap parts. the brand is Beck Arnley and funny thing is Beru is 5 bucks cheaper. a few people say one thing and few people say the other... you just go for things sometimes.

brand new wires.. whatever.

ill look for a new set.
TheCabinetmaker
Beru wires. Period. They fit. They work.
broomhandle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 8 2012, 02:45 PM) *

Beru wires. Period. They fit. They work.

i ordered a set. i hope they are not made in china.... smile.gif jk
stugray
Also, is the ground strap on the trans clean and tight?

You read my mind. I will wager that is the problem.
No need to replace the wires.

Stu
broomhandle
forums are great.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.