Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is my friends 914 not selling?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dcraig
He wants me to have it really bad, but I have 3 BMW 2002tii's and a few other cars and nowhere to put it. It's really clean. I'm tempted. I know a lot of '02 owners have also owned or own 914's.

Ebay linky

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig (possibly a newbie here)
boxstr
Looks like a nice car, most people don't like or want the Riviera wheels, the door panels are pretty distorted looking, It is a 75 not sure of Calif. smog or not, but it does have carbs, not that many people like the big black bumper cars. Is the car on consignment at Malibu Carz? They are the ones selling it?
He had 18 bids up to $4100. That is all the money that people want to spend. What was his reserve?
I sold an orange 75, extremely nice car, just like off the showroom for $8500.
CCLINGASFORASS
Dcraig
'75 is smog exempt in CA now, not so for '76 and newer. The door panels could use new backing. I didn't see any rust. He has $11,700 into it, reserve is at $5000. There are a few minor things that need to be looked at, but nothing really important. I can do a lot of the fixes myself having owned all these '02's.

It is on consignment. They are listing it on Ebay for him. He and his wife have Porsches also and he needs to get rid of this one. No time to drive it.

The wheels aren't very popular? I thought they looked good, being period correct. What's a better choice for that vintage look?
rhodyguy
someone correct me if i'm wrong. didn't dave buy the van from malibucarzs? the rivs have the wrong backspacing for wide tires. they're great for a type 1.

kevin
Dcraig
Martin, I don't think I understand your post? huh.gif
Bleyseng
I'll be honest, because the car has rust! Look in the pic I reposted at the big arrow. Fixing that air vent and inner sail is expensive! Note the other arrows pointing to tears in the seats or doorpanels.
The pics show a car with a respray but not a complete repaint. Car has no fog lites, no Fuchs etc so its not a tip top car. Price of $4000 is about right without looking at the battery tray, floor pans and it has CARBS not the orginal FI.

Geoff
rhodyguy
your friend is experiencing the joy of owning a 914 with $11k invested.

kevin
boxstr
Well lets just say that having more into the car and not being able to sell it for that is"normal". If you could buy the car for $5000, drive and enjoy it, do some fix up. Then that makes more sense.
I would try and add the 2.0 Fuchs wheels, readily availalbe for @$350-500 for 4 good wheels. The minor things that you can see on the car may have held the price below the $5000 reserve, offer him $4500.

Good morning Allison and Martin, sound like nuclear fallout floating over Fairfield, don't worry the temp. will rise. Things at CAMP 914 are going very well. I am just getting a few cars put away for there winter hibernation and few ready to roll.
CCLINGASFORCRACK
Dcraig
It's originally a 1.8 but the engine blew shortly after he bought it a few years ago. Otto said it would be better to replace with the 2.0 he had built for a customer that never picked it up. Otto also did a PPI and said the car was solid.

I know the battery tray has been replaced. Are fogs available? That's one thing I'd like to do, also the "Porsche" reverse decal down the side, but I can't find them.
Dcraig
I didn't see any rust at that air vent. I looked at it pretty closely when I sat in the car. I did a search and couldn't find a fix.
boxstr
Yes I have pair of new foglites for the 75-76 bumpers. You can backdate to the earlier chrome bumpers,if you wnated to, and you can find and add the stripe down the side.
You are there you cna look at touch and feel the car so you have a better advantage to now if the car is solid, at least to you. It would be in your best interest to put the car in the air look underneath, pull the rockers. Remove the battery and look in the hell hole.
CCLINGASFORCASH
Bleyseng
The rust starts from inside the fender and the fix is either to handmake metal to fit or buy a replacement sail panel to install. Usually the surface rust is bondoed over when they respray so it last a year or so then rusts thru.
It is obvious in the pic right below the air vent.
I am not saying this isn't a decent car but this is why its it won't sell for more. The most expensive things to fix are rust and the motor. It has a good engine so that a plus.
Not a bad car just needs a few things.
The fogs are 911 fog lites that just bolt in, work pretty good too.
Eric_Shea
Why is my friends 914 not selling?

Because the shameless hidden attempts at driving traffic to your eBay link have resulted in a bunch of "teeners" bashing every aspect of your ride? confused24.gif
Korijo
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 23 2004, 06:46 AM)
someone correct me if i'm wrong. didn't dave buy the van from malibucarzs?
kevin

I think you're correct, Kev... I remembered, too.

Dcraig, What is your friend's name ?

Do NOT buy a car from them.
McMark
Drop the engine and clean all that red crap off. That engine looks so out of place it's scary. Paint the impeller housing silver and the tin black. A clean engine looks like a strong, new engine.
Series9
I pretty much agree with the group on this one. I looked at that car when it was first posted and it initially struck me as a very clean driver, but the interior shot shows rust in the sail vent so that ended it for me (the carbs really don't help either). If the rust is isolated, it might not be hard to fix, but I'd have a VERY close look under the battery and elsewhere before I'd consider a purchase. cool.gif
McMark
Yeah, it's missing All-The-Right-Pictures ™. If there isn't rust in the drivers door jamb vent area then the dirt needs to be wiped away and the picture retaken.
Gustl
... might be a more desireable choice ... confused24.gif

orange Porsche 914 2.0 1974
Bleyseng
Now thats a clean car! biggrin.gif
Mike D.
$4000 would be a great price to get for that car, as everyone else said, he should take that money and run. It's a 3K car at best, in that condition. AND, I wouldn't take Ottos word for shit, I've seen the crap he has sold to other people that was "solid".
soloracer
If this is the same dealership that sold us the lemon van for Korijo I for one would vote to either a) delete this thread or cool.gif leave it up but go out of our way to warn any potential buyers of the a-holes who run the dealership and the crap they spew regarding the condition of this and any vehicle. If this is indeed the same outfit I think it's pretty ballsy of the person who started this thread to dare come here and try to solicit anything for them. Speaking of which, he's been pretty silent lately hasn't he?
spare time toys
QUOTE(Dcraig @ Oct 23 2004, 09:25 AM)
He wants me to have it really bad

spank.gif He must be a good friend finger.gif The engine compartment with the spray bomb paint icon8.gif the rust out starting at the drivers door alfred.gif The interior starting to have issues bootyshake.gif I see the auction is over and it did not get to reserve price. Keep the 2002s and let him fix his car "OL BUDDY" Dont get it and have a friend like this drunk.gif not this Yack.gif
dflesburg
who painted the pretty motor with that awful red paint...

The people who buy these cars can not only take them apart and put them back togeather but most know more about them than anyone who still works for Porsche does.
Dcraig
Some of you people are pretty sad. This was not an attempt to drive traffic to the auction....It's over stupid! My original post was honest and I was looking for some sound, critical advice. Some of you gave it, and I appreciate it.

My friend's name is Steve. As for the guy selling it on Ebay, malibucarz, he runs or owns the local hand car wash and detail. He lists cars for people who live here, and I'm sure takes a percent. I'm sure he gets the information about the cars from the people who own them, and doesn't make it up. That's probably why the pictures aren't what everybody wants to see. If he is the guy who sold you a junk van, then you should take it up with him rather than speculate, trash his name and spread things that possibly aren't true.

And yes, I have been silent for a while. I took a drive from Malibu to Santa Barbara, watched the ocean, the seagulls and the dolphins. I have better things to do with my beautiful warm So. CA day than sit in front of the computer.

Later
bob91403
You ask a question then walk away for ten hours. What do you expect? You'd do better to wait and respond to the replies you receive to YOUR question. Or, ask it when you've got time to. Why didn't it sell? It's overpriced? Nobody out there wanted a '75? Photos only showed some of the flaws (no hellhole)? It has carbs? Not much market this time of year? It's orange? I like the color on the historic 914/6GT race cars I've seen. But personaly, I think it was too common and over used. I wouldn't even consider an orange one, but that's me. Or, maybe the guy who listed it for your friend walked away too and didn't respond to any of the potential buyers questions. I notice there is no dialog thread. It's hard to believe nobody had any questions. How the hell can anyone know why? Advise your friend to either clean it up, or lower the reserve, and re-list it. You asked a question, then walked away? Rude, newbie. idea.gif If you're done with this thread go to the bottom of the page, click on moderator options and delete the thread.
Trekkor
What's all the fuss?
That car look better than most, be honest.
Go look at your's ohmy.gif

If I was shopping for a car, this looks like a reasonable deal up to $5k.

I'd have to drive it first, of course.

I mean, come on, VW busses and Ghias are going for more than 914's confused24.gif

The general public doesn't want our cars. Prices prove that.

We can buy them up and charge high prices to each other... "that's what friends are for" tunez.gif

KT
Dcraig
What I expected was some good criticism, and that's what I got from most people. Me rude? Why, because I did some things today that needed to be done? I asked for some opinions and I got them, but I didn't think I needed to sit here and monitor the responses.

Rude is suggesting that I was driving traffic to an auction, even though it had ended. It was this cars 2nd time around, it didn't sell, and I was wondering why. What better place to ask than a 914 board? I knew you people would be the most critical, and that's what I wanted. A few questions were raised, and I responded the best I could.

As for the seller, I don't know him, never met him, but I don't think it's right to bad-mouth him, especially when the person who said it isn't even sure it's the same guy. Just doesn't seem right to me.
tod914
Couple other places he can try to sell it.

classiccartradeonline
recyler
can post it here and on the pelican site

Can also park it in area that gets high exposure. Bound to get some calls. Buying from a used car dealer... alot of people are skeptical of that.

Odd thing with these cars, some sell real quick, others I have seen for sale for a real long time. Just a matter of finding the right buyer. Like the other guys said, take a photo of the battery tray and area below it. The rear trunk without the carpet. Maybe clean up/touch up the rust area by the inner door vent. Thats a common spot. There is a foam block on the back of the vent that retains moisture. I took them off every car I had. Water tends to sit in there. Engine paint, well don't think you can do much about that. As long as it runs good you should be fine. Pass on putting fuchs on it. Your putting more money into that you may or maynot get back. Good luck!
boxstr
Hey Dcraig, it happens here all the time. People log in and, I don't know either don't read all of the post or just don't comprehend what the post is about.

Ebay is probably the best place to get exposure for the sale of a car, be it a 914 or an X-19.
Sometime the buyers are there and you might try again in a week or two weeks and it will go higher than ever before. That is the nature of the auction.

Anyway good luck to your friend.
CCLINGASFOREBAY
Qarl
Or... price it for what he wants to get for it... Tell him to use Buy it Now...

Why have everyone play the guessing game?
IronHillRestorations
Plain and simple??? The reason the car has sold at auction is there isn't a bidder that thinks it's worth the reserve.

The car MAY BE worth $5k, but it doesn't look like anyone on eBay is willing to pay that much.

Honestly, for the California market, the car has all the classic markings of a $3500-4000 car. If it was in St. Louis, Chicago, or NYC it would probably sell, but no one is going to pay $5000 for that car and ship it to the salt belt.

You asked for opinions, don't gripe when you get them! laugh.gif
rhodyguy
a few more hammer downs. missing the front valance, missing the center caps, tires are prob 165's. things not mentioned, 30 y.o suspention? newer brakes? spin one of the lug bolts out. are the threads approx 1" long? then the first thing to do is get the correct bolts.

so take the reserve @ $5100, and factor in the "fixes" that EVERYONE seems to do and you will have $7k into it. i think folks were trying to help you avoid what could be major issues wth this car and save you some time and money.

i wonder what the consignment shop's cut is?

kevin
Dcraig
The intent was not a guessing game, but what I should look for if I want to buy it and also why it's not bringing in what seems to be a fair $5000, which now seems to not be very much money for a car.

Thanks for the help.
Dcraig
I didn't gripe about any of the help and insight that was given. What I didn't think was right was attacking malibukarz when he wasn't even sure it's the same place, and, accusing me of driving traffic to the auction.

Car enthusians boards are the last place I'd sell a car. If a car needs work every problem will be pointed out, and if a car is completely restored, it's way overpriced. Just the nature of the boards. Happens on every one I frequent.
Bleyseng
Actually, the classifieds here work pretty well for cars and parts.
You were almost knee deep into doo doo by association cuz we are a little jumpy with anything near the people that sold the Van™.

Sorry.
Eric_Shea
He was griping about me... he was right.

My apologies.

E.
Korijo
no apologies here. malibukars was the seller.

you asked for opinions, right ? my opinion, dont buy a vehicle from them.

if he is selling vehicles for other people, he becomes responsible and liable. what if the brakes went out, instead of the motor blowing up ? his ass...

opinions are like assholes. everyone has one.
Bleyseng
No shit Dave, hmm, this guy should run from this car! Rust and more problems will show up.

There are too many other solid decent 914s out there to buy a pos. bootyshake.gif
soloracer
Dave,

I noticed there is a different spelling in the name you gave and the one on the auction (Malibukars and Malibucarz). So I went through the feedback on Malibucarz to see if I could find where the van was purchased. What e-bay name was used to buy the van? I could not find Korijo there and was wondering if this was the same seller.
Dcraig
I'm NOT buying the car from them. My friend owns the car. I'd be buying it from him. I just posted the Ebay auction because it had pictures.

I don't even know who Malibukars (or whatever) is.

I asked for opinions on the car, not about the person who listed it on Ebay.

Like I said before, I don't want it bad enough. Got my hands full with the tii's.
ninefourteener
There is a really simple solution..... People that shop on e-bay know what they are looking for, and know what it is worth.

Before I put the Porsche decals along the side of the car, I couldn't go out for more than 10 minutes before someone asked me "What kinda car is that?"

The majority of the public does not know what these cars are.. nor what they are worth. Place an ad in the Auto Trader.... they have package deals where you can advertise in the local Auto Trader, as well as the Collecter car Auto Trader.

Write a well worded, enthusiastic desription......... "Awesome 1975 PORSCHE 914 roadster-convertible. A road-gripping 2 seater with removeable hardtop!! Turn heads in this bright orange piece of classic german craftsmanship! EXTREMELY RARE! Will not last long!! $5500."

Ok.. laugh all you want, but that shit works. I've sold nearly 10 cars through the Auto Trader, 7 of them were classics. People don't usually trust e-bay... not to spend that much money anyway.

I sold this car for $4900......... in less than 24 hours after it was listed. It was my last teener.... a 72 with dual carbs, "iffy" paint, and a cracked front valence. It may sound like a spoof, but I was getting 3 or 4 calls a day on this car..... thew name "Porsche" sells.... use it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.