Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would this work for Mid Engine setup?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I was eyeballing this and just wondering how possible is this Transmission for a mid engine setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...B:WNARL:US:1120
6freak
if ya got the $$$ anything will fit
smile.gif
seanery
**simplified version**
C5s and C6s are transaxle setups. As long as there is room and you can mate the engine with the transaxle you're probably good to go.

I'm actually doing legwork to figure out how to do a C5 rear end and transaxle in my '50 GMC truck behind a '64 Buick 401.
bill pierce
Looks pretty nice but, I think it would be too long. Ask the guy for dimensions.
rktmn247
Should there also be a bell housing? If so, It looks like axles would be way to far back.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Aug 8 2012, 05:14 PM) *

Should there also be a bell housing? If so, It looks like axles would be way to far back.

No, the C5 and up Vettes use a torque tube that houses the driveshaft and bolts between engine and transaxle. I think there are adapters to bolt the engine directly to the transaxle, but I would assume that this would put everything way far back. You would probably end up cutting the rear firewall and moving it forward to fit. Not to mention that transaxle is really beefy and heavy. Doubt it would be worth the trouble.
andys
A mid-engine transaxle normally has the gear case aft of the differential. I the case of the Vette, the gear case is forward of the differential. This configuration is usually not suitable for a true mid-engine layout, though there's at least one case I know of where it has been done, but the car had to be stretched between the driver and the rear wheels.

Andys
Dave_Darling
Sounds like what they did with the later 908 transmissions, to move the rear wheels further back in the chassis. They put the diff at the tail end of the box.

--DD
matthepcat
You would probably have better luck making a 924 turbo snail trans-axle work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Porsche-924-T...n-/130453416671

I have a buddy with one sitting in his garage..probably let it go very cheap.
rktmn247
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 8 2012, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Aug 8 2012, 05:14 PM) *

No, the C5 and up Vettes use a torque tube that houses the driveshaft and bolts between engine and transaxle. I think there are adapters to bolt the engine directly to the transaxle, but I would assume that this would put everything way far back. You would probably end up cutting the rear firewall and moving it forward to fit. Not to mention that transaxle is really beefy and heavy. Doubt it would be worth the trouble.

I know they use a torque tube and assumed there is a housing attached on the block for the clutch and pressure plate that would have to be connected back up to the transaxle, minus the torque tube, thus increasing the length beyond what the original poster had shown in his link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Chevrolet-Cor...#ht_2460wt_1218
bulitt
Too long. Unless the engine sat directly above the trans and you used a transfer case in the back between engine and trans. This arrangement used on various ferrari's such as the 512bbi but a boxer engine also used to reduce the height of the whole package.
rick 918-S
Axles would be waaaaay too far back on both those units.
Katmanken
Oh cmon guys, easy fix.

Make it a front midships engine and run whatever driveshaft is required- or not.
Might have to cut the dash, front trunk, and tranny tunnel a bit to fit the engine, and rear bulkhead to pass the tranny, but could work.

Quick 2000 hours of work and your done!
zymurgist
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Aug 9 2012, 06:15 PM) *

Oh cmon guys, easy fix.

Make it a front midships engine and run whatever drivehsaft is required- or not.
Might have to cut the dash, front trunk, and tranny tunnel a bit to fit the engine, and rear bulkhead to pass the tranny, but could work.

Quick 2000 hours of work and your done!

Or just buy a Corvette. stirthepot.gif
SirAndy
It would seem this is way too much work for no real added benefit.

idea.gif
falconfp2001
I was thinking more of a 904 project for this. Or just use a Suby block and trans
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 8 2012, 03:28 PM) *

Those trannies are among the most fragile units Porsche ever made. No parts available, even then, and when they failed back in the day, Porsche simply sold you another tranny at a steeply discounted price. Dave Aase was selling them for about 500 bucks, brand new.

The Cap'n
matthepcat
I actually think it's an Audi designed trans and I would put $ on it being more robust than a 901. Taller gears as well, which would work well for a higher torque application...but your correct...impossible to find parts.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 9 2012, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 8 2012, 03:28 PM) *

Those trannies are among the most fragile units Porsche ever made. No parts available, even then, and when they failed back in the day, Porsche simply sold you another tranny at a steeply discounted price. Dave Aase was selling them for about 500 bucks, brand new.

The Cap'n

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.