Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can't stop the leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I tried replacing the O-rings 3 times, and still a leak. After running the car for about 10 min smpke starts to bellow out of the engine compartment. Problem I have old heads that have smaller push rid tubes and I am not about to send them out to be bored and buy new tubes. Would there be a problem with cleaning the area real good and using some kind of high temp silicon or such around the outside of the tubes and heads to stop the leak.
Rich Bontempi
We have some of the correct push rod tube o-rings for the early 1.7's. Is that what you need to fix this problem?
ruddyboys
Rich, I tried the right rings and it still leaks, something must be out of round.
Joe Ricard
Well, I know what a pain this is. here is what I did and it seamed to work pretty good. Are you leaking at the case or head? After reading it seems like the head side???

Yes, Cleaning REALLY good with scotch bright pad or burnishing wheel on a dremel gets all the crap out. the sealing surface must be really smooth. the groove in the tube must be round and clean too.

Go to home center and get white plumbers paste. Put a little on each O-ring. Tubes should slide right in (maybe a little shove). if ya gots to bang them in somethings wrong and the o-ring is rolling or getting cut.

Found out the hard way about different size tubes for early 1.7L motors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.