Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Montreal914
I'm currently looking at building an engine for my street car that I will occasionally bring to DE events. I have a selection of parts and obviously will need to purchase the rest. Reading many threads, I see that the right combination is what it's all about. I'm probably looking at a 2056 but still haven't ruled out the possibility of a stroker. My budget is fairly limited (~$2,000-3,000 ) and although I know there is a lot to gain with head work, I was going to keep them stock.

What I have:
Case, micro polish 71 stock crank, 2.0 rods, stock 2.0 3 bolts heads ('73-'74) with new seats and guides, 1.7 rockers, original 911 swivel feet, melling oil pump, complete 2.0 D-jet fuel injection, and complete 45mm Dellortos set.

I was thinking of buying 96mm KB pistons and new barrels.

I guess one of the first decisions is; carbs or FI? idea.gif
If it's F.I., then I need a F.I. compatible cam. Vendors? Raby and who?
What would be the maximum CR, 8.5?
And what else could be done other than lightened flywheel for response time?

If carbs, then doors open. But do they really with my stuff?
Are 45mm simply too big for a street 2056? unsure.gif
Would they be good with a mildly stroked setup?
Will stock 2.0 heads work properly with a mildly stroked engine?

Cam selection would come at the end and would probably mean dual springs new lifters (reground maybe confused24.gif ) and chromoly pushrods cut to lenght for proper geometry.

Of course proper oil cooling is part of the plan.

I know this is kind of vague...but any inputs are welcome...and thank you for reading all this... biggrin.gif
cgnj
Hi,

I have just started this project. I have buillt a 2270 and for my new to me fully optioned 73, I decided to do 2056.

It costs the same for any stroker crank, go big or go stock. If you go big you need headwork and H-beam rods. Much more cash.

At 2056 I am going to run FI. I have a set of 40mm Dells in a box, but at this engine size, FI is the ticket. Unless your Dells have been tinkered with you probably have 38 or 39 mm vents. You will need to go to 34-36 mm vents if you chose to run your Dells.

Oil pump - I run Shadek. I have heard rumors of recent qc problems, I bought mine in 1996. I don't leak.

Cam - You already have most of the parts that Jake requires you to buy to purchase one of his cams with the exception of lifters. Is the extra cost of the extras that you already own worth the performance increase over a cam from Web? Inquiring minds want to know.

CR - I asked about this and the consensus seems to be 9-1.

New barrels - I have mine my stock barrels machined.

Dual Springs - If you chose to run F at 2056 I, I can't believe that HD single springs will be over matched to a FI cam, carb cam, all bets off. In any case, the bosses will have to be machined.

Lightened flywheel - I don't do this on any 914 motor. I have no reason, except that I'm cheap.

I will follow this thread because I'm in the same boat.

Carlos
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna buy rods, THESE are the ones to buy. Forget all those heavily advertised trendy-gotta-have'em rods, there are the real deal.

http://www.cunninghamrods.com/construction.html

The Cap'n
Montreal914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 10 2012, 12:22 PM) *

If you're gonna buy rods, THESE are the ones to buy. Forget all those heavily advertised trendy-gotta-have'em rods, there are the real deal.

http://www.cunninghamrods.com/construction.html

The Cap'n

Nice stuff!
Do they have type IV standard models or is it all custom? They don't really have a catalog on their webpage unless I missed it...
Cap'n Krusty
I think you have to contact them.

The Cap'n
euro911
Looks like you're off to a good start.

agree.gif I agree on boring your stock cylinders out to 96mm. They're probably Mahles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.