Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my alternator working overtime?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thestigz06
Is it cool for it to be producing that much power?
If not, what could cause it? confused24.gif

It should also be said that my car has an intermittent problem of not making enough while driving which results in working very hard to get to 4000RPM and popping. While all of this goes on the generator light is slightly glowing and as i turn off the lights car runs better slightly better. If i let it sit for maybe 30 mins, i fire up and she runs fine, lights on and all. cant seem to figure it out. headbang.gif
seanery
I think you're just fine!
Mark Henry
13.6v is normal.

For starters clean all your grounds.
Thestigz06
thanks for the response guys. il look deeper into the electrical! biggrin.gif
Thestigz06
well, dug into it more today and did more testing. When the headlights with fogs are on its producing 12.6 volts, is this still normal?

Also, could the symptoms im experiencing be due to failing points/condenser?
DBCooper
Very likely on both counts.
Thestigz06
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 14 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Very likely on both counts.

meaning alt is fine and i just need to get off my a$$ and go buy another EI module? biggrin.gif
toolguy
The alternator/regulator is producing the same voltage all the time, but when you have a constant draw, ie the lights on, the battery will read lower. . battery floating voltage and alternator output are 2 different but related things. .

Your readings are normal
Spoke
Where are you measuring 12.6V? Across the battery?

The points/condenser could have to do with the lack of power but as long as your engine is running greater than about 1500-2000 RPM, the alternator should be producing 13V or greater as measured on your battery. The 2 are not related.

Is the alternator belt tight?
Thestigz06
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 14 2012, 05:36 PM) *

Where are you measuring 12.6V? Across the battery?

The points/condenser could have to do with the lack of power but as long as your engine is running greater than about 1500-2000 RPM, the alternator should be producing 13V or greater as measured on your battery. The 2 are not related.

Is the alternator belt tight?

i am measuring that across my battery. and the belt is not by any means loose.
76-914
Did you ever set your dwell? If not you can come by here and set it.
Thestigz06
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 15 2012, 07:56 AM) *

Did you ever set your dwell? If not you can come by here and set it.

yeah i checked it, it was right in optimal range. I found some very pitted points as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.