Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flogged the big motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Just got back from a "test session" of the 2.0L motor. Yea baby this car rocks. Started out with 140 main gas jets and the car would just bog and eventually zoom away when throttle was nailed to the floor.
Stopped put in 130 Mains and that made all the difference. Sorta like nail the throttle above 2500 RPM and Hang on. Went to my favorite high school parking lot and got it really rollin. 4000 RPM to around 6000 comes in a flash and now requires quicker shifting. mueba.gif Good thing I put new shift bushing in this thing. Oil temp 220 and head temp 300 ish.

Well didn't break it so I guess it will be OK. Going to run down the freeway in the morning check head temps and oil temps. Oil Pressure is real good.
machina
way to go joe beerchug.gif

feels so much better when you do it yourself, doesn't it.
Joe Ricard
Finally got a handle on my electrical too. All started by changing out dash bulbs. then I let the smoke out of the dash bulb wiring. Crap.

SOOOO While I was in there I wired up the H-3 Driving lights with relay. 100W a piece. biggrin.gif
Got dash and gauge lights all on one dimmer. Little bit of a re-wire. carb fuel pump, Driving lights and gauge power and lighting are now on a separate fuse block controlled by a relay using ign switch activated power.
Now I need to make up a wiring diagram of what I did before I forget.
charlesmac
Joe, congradulations on adding MORE POWER!! (Tim "the tool man" Taylor grunt inserted here) hey, while i'm here, Dec. 11-13, i think those are the dates, it's a thurs-sat. i"m going to be down at the coast for the all state band clinic. If'n i can get away, i'd like to check out the teener.

charles

now back to the previously scheduled thread
Joe Ricard
Charles You have a PM. Caution talking cars with me means you may spend all day in my garage. Or driving driving.gif
charlesmac
Oh, NO!!! that would be terrible clap56.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 23 2004, 08:23 PM)
Charles You have a PM.   Caution talking cars with me means you may spend all day in my garage.  

And what else would a fellow teener do?

Joe, congrats on the engine transplant. Can't wait to try the new car (hahahahaha) biggrin.gif

BTW, called B last week, he's hunting down his machinest for the P/C shims, patience Grasshooper, patience parts are coming soon...
Joe Ricard
Hope things get here soon I am running out of money fixing my car. (got counselled today) rolleyes.gif

Pointed to the door and she left. boldblue.gif

Somebody buy my Harley. I need more engine money lol2.gif

I'm thinking your motor will be almost as fast. milder cam, stock flywheel, did you know you bought hydraulic lifters? .009 dizzy
The compression ratio will be 9.2:1 That might make up some of it. Of course your motor won't leak oil either. beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Well here we go just gotback from the Interstate test. MPH 85 - 90 for 20 minutes. (hey it is Sunday am).
Head temp 350 ish Oil temp 240, Oil pressure 65. at idle still just under 20.

Man, 40 IDF's carbs are loud. But OOOHH SOO cool aktion035.gif

Cleaning it up and going to crawl under for an inspection. Must have dropped the ground wire off the gas gauge. full tank and not registering. Hmm idea.gif
machina
Joe, do you have single or dual CHT? if dual how much difference side to side?

Do you have EGT as well?
Bleyseng
Whatever you do ditch the hydro lifters..
Sounds good Joe but the temps are getting up there....gpt access to a A/F meter to make sure you aren't running too lean?

Geoff
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 23 2004, 11:42 PM)
I'm thinking your motor will be almost as fast.  milder cam, stock flywheel, did you know you bought hydraulic lifters? .009 dizzy
The compression ratio will be 9.2:1  That might make up some of it.    Of course your motor won't leak oil either.

I ordered the Web-Cam Performance Lifters, as recommended by PP, to go with the Web-Cam camshaft.

Is this the wrong set up?
Should I return them and get something else?
Should I call them tomorrow?
Joe Ricard
Not MY lifters. Mine be of the solid persuasion

No EGT, If I were made of money maybe

Going to pull plugs here shortly and check the color.

May need 135 jets or smaller air correction. I'll get it dialed in. great power and I was haulin ass. one stint over 100 came pretty easy.
I think an oil cooler may be in the works. as the air temp was only 80 degrees 100% humidity. Yea it gets ALOT hotter here.
Joe Ricard
I don't know Rob just thought is was odd as I was doing an inventory. I guess it depends on what you do with the car. Drive it like a sane person. Or ring it's neck every opportunity you get. Like 6000 RPMs the valves WILL float.
watsonrx13
Joe, sounds like you've got the engine moving... biggrin.gif

I'll start a thread asking about hyd lifters....

Sounds like you're enjoying the weekend, it's great down here, too bad I don't have any of the teeners running.

Once I do, I'm driving up to your place we'll get a gathering to show off your engine work and my body work... beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
If they are hydro lifters, toss them as far as you can out of sight!
Joe Ricard
Well I reviewed the site that the cam and hyd lifters came from. The ad says these lifters are perfect for the cams above. Rob read the same thing when things got ordered.

So not to be a SNOT "why are they bad"? The cam is a WEB 86a. The cam is installed and not coming out!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.