Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car going in for paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Moose01
I am putting my 6 in for a full resto. The paint is original, with little rust; however it is cracked and flaking off. So it is finally time. Mechanically it is pretty good, with a motor built by DeMan and some suspension work. The former owner auto crossed the car.

I do need a little advice:

Best place for new rubber, seals etc?

Shifting, .... I can shift the standard set up ok, but is the Rennshift worth it? I do want to autocross as well

Interior... The seats have a few tears, not too bad but need to be redone as the door panels, ideas?

The seat belts need restoration or replacement, is there anyone doing this?

Thanks

Chris
JawjaPorsche
For all your rubber needs, go to 914Rubber.com Mark is a great guy to deal with.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png belated

Check out Tangerine Racing for a nice shifting solution.
CG-914
agree.gif chris from Tangerine Racing has nice ones!

http://tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

My car also came with the Weltmeister shortshift kit
I love it!! driving.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Moose01 @ Aug 12 2012, 07:36 PM) *

I am putting my 6 in for a full resto. The paint is original, with little rust; however it is cracked and flaking off. So it is finally time. Mechanically it is pretty good, with a motor built by DeMan and some suspension work. The former owner auto crossed the car.

Shifting, .... I can shift the standard set up ok, but is the Rennshift worth it? I do want to autocross as well

Interior... The seats have a few tears, not too bad but need to be redone as the door panels, ideas?

Thanks

Chris

So....where are the pictures? smile.gif
arkitect
Chris,
As far as seat belts, I have seen some people adding a bar the width of the car behind the seats that connects to the top seat belt bolt connection. Then they use a racing type harness, that should hold you in pretty good.

Also, found this for stock seat belt replacement.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/porsche~seat_belt.html

I have not personally tried either of them, still using the old stock belts but will probably change to one of these ideas. It takes alot of work to get the retractor to pull the belt back.

Dave
arkitect
Also found this on an old thread for the cross bar.

http://www.stableenergies.com/prodinfo.asp...=3&mitem=13

Ebay for better price?

Dave

Randal
QUOTE(Moose01 @ Aug 12 2012, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks

Chris

Anything from Foley will be stellar.

If your going to autox then get 5 or 6 point belts. Good belts make a big difference, plus are much safer. IO Motorsports has lots of options.

So tell us about autoxing in Bangkok.
Moose01

Guys

Thanks for the advice, good ideas on the seat belts.

There is a pretty good car culture in Bangkok but alas I have a new job in the UK. I am up in Aberdeen and there is a decent hillclimb/ Sprint assoc. So I am looking at a hillclimb or two, easy ones!

There are some classic rallies as well. Plus I could Lways drive to LeMans or the 'Ring smile.gif

Chris

QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 15 2012, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Moose01 @ Aug 12 2012, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks

Chris

Anything from Foley will be stellar.

If your going to autox then get 5 or 6 point belts. Good belts make a big difference, plus are much safer. IO Motorsports has lots of options.

So tell us about autoxing in Bangkok.

smj
Ditto on 914rubber.com, Mark/Mikey914 is the guy to see for rubber.

For seat belts, are you dealing with an original -6 or a conversion? Or put a different way, which model year?

I just put 944/951 retracting belts in my factory -6, and it's an invasive mod for the 70-72ish cars - basically anything that didn't come with retracting belts lacks a ~2" pocket formed in the firewall to accept the retractor. As my car is already quite a few steps away from stock, I chose to mount the retractors a few inches towards the centerline, which meant losing the backpad - and half the passenger seat, alas. Study of the back pad might suggest a better position, but mine had lost all clips at the top and just flopped around, which was getting tiresome.

For later cars it should just require a minor change to the locating pin above the bolt that holds the retractor spool to the firewall. At the B pillar and both floor mounting points, It Just Worked. I do have a little contact between the bolt on the driver's side receiver at the center tunnel and the shift rod, but that just needs a washer or a slightly shorter bolt.

Cost for a complete set of 944/951 front belts with all hardware from a dismantler on eBay was $50/pair shipped, both parties located in the US.
Moose01
SMJ,

It is an original 6, so I would like something nice. I know there s a company that restores to orginal spec old vette belts. I might ask if they could do my Porsche ones along with my vette..... Snake oyl, is their name f you can believe it.

Chris

QUOTE(smj @ Aug 16 2012, 08:51 AM) *

For seat belts, are you dealing with an original -6 or a conversion? Or put a different way, which model year?

I just put 944/951 retracting belts in my factory -6, and it's an invasive mod for the 70-72ish cars - basically anything that didn't come with retracting belts lacks a ~2" pocket formed in the firewall to accept the retractor. As my car is already quite a few steps away from stock, I chose to mount the retractors a few inches towards the centerline, which meant losing the backpad - and half the passenger seat, alas. Study of the back pad might suggest a better position, but mine had lost all clips at the top and just flopped around, which was getting tiresome.

For later cars it should just require a minor change to the locating pin above the bolt that holds the retractor spool to the firewall. At the B pillar and both floor mounting points, It Just Worked. I do have a little contact between the bolt on the driver's side receiver at the center tunnel and the shift rod, but that just needs a washer or a slightly shorter bolt.

Cost for a complete set of 944/951 front belts with all hardware from a dismantler on eBay was $50/pair shipped, both parties located in the US.

Randal
QUOTE(Moose01 @ Aug 15 2012, 07:45 PM) *

SMJ,

It is an original 6, so I would like something nice. I know there s a company that restores to orginal spec old vette belts. I might ask if they could do my Porsche ones along with my vette..... Snake oyl, is their name f you can believe it.

Chris

QUOTE(smj @ Aug 16 2012, 08:51 AM) *

I wouldn't think they would let you do hill climbs in Scotland with factory belts.
Moose01
They have a street class, mostly EVOs, STIs and the odd Miata. I did not see four points harnesses on the Miatas or some of the others. Good point, I will check.

quote name='Randal' date='Aug 16 2012, 10:51 AM' post='1724508']
[quote name='Moose01' post='1724492' date='Aug 15 2012, 07:45 PM']
SMJ,

Chris

[quote name='smj' post='1724475' date='Aug 16 2012, 08:51 AM']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I wouldn't think they would let you do hill climbs in Scotland with factory belts.
[/quote]
smj
If the car's reasonably stock, then I'd want a nice, stock-appearing solution. Either new webbing with the original hardware, a new non-retracting set of belts, or maybe a re-shaped backpad. But that last is a big (to me) project.

I don't think there's enough room to mount the 944/951 belts on the B-pillar, which is basically where they went on those cars. Cutting the firewall to create the needed pockets is again a big project, but would potentially reduce other interior changes. Might be where I end up...

On the shifting side, you could replace the shift bushings while you research more expensive solutions. Shifter cup under the shift rod, and three bushings. It can be a messy job, and it's nobody's ultimate solution, but it might make things much more bearable while you're deciding how much you want to spend and where.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.