Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
brumi
Here are a couple of pics showing how I cool the transaxle on my vintage 914/6 race car
Pump ( white ) is gear driven. filter ( red ) has temperature couple, fluidyne oil radiator is mounted between the megaphonesClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
brant
nice job
can you add pictures of your cooler from below
I would love to see your mounting bracket

thanks
brant
Randal
QUOTE(brumi @ Aug 13 2012, 06:30 AM) *

Here are a couple of pics showing how I cool the transaxle on my vintage 914/6 race car
Pump ( white ) is gear driven. filter ( red ) has temperature couple, fluidyne oil radiator is mounted between the megaphones

When you put the V bar in the truck, tied to the shock towers, could you feel any difference in the handling?

Nice job on the cooling system.
pcar916
Looks good! I have my auxiliary engine cooler in the same spot.
chilling in vt
Very nice! If you get a chance, could you post some pictures of the hook ups to the transmission? What kind of temps are you you seeing with the cooler? We are seeing 200-230 with a 2.5 liter six and a 901. Cooler is always better
brumi
QUOTE(chilling in vt @ Aug 19 2012, 01:56 PM) *

Very nice! If you get a chance, could you post some pictures of the hook ups to the transmission? What kind of temps are you you seeing with the cooler? We are seeing 200-230 with a 2.5 liter six and a 901. Cooler is always better

Not a lot of light to get good pics of transaxle hookups. All braided lines
Basically an o-ring boss outflow from the drain plug ( AN-8 )
Then thru filter, radiator, pump and then a return line that Ts off to a AN 8 into front of case and a AN 6 return thru intermediate plate
No spray bars or nozzles, basically just get the oil out, cooled and back into box
Never seen higher than 190 degrees
brumi

To chilling in vt
I had the car up for some servicing so I took a couple of pics of the cooler install , outlet with o ring boss, return ( -8 in case and -6 thru intermediate plate
Ran at track in the mid 80s and temp ( sensor in red filter ) never exceeded190
chilling in vt
Thanks! That is one very clean car.
brumi
Thanks
As my mentor in building race cars stressed to me over 25 years ago " there are dozens of reasons for not going fast, but no reason for being a slob " beerchug.gif
naro914
Pics of mine on this thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...177277&st=0
and www.facebook.com/naroescapemotorsports
larryM
but - WHY ??

it makes sense for a 24-hrs enduro World Makes Championship run in 1970-72

but vintage racing today is only about 15-20 minutes on track

so why bother -??

(yep - i know - i BTDT - old age now questions the folly of my youthful fevers)

Trekkor
Nice pics.

Thank you!

KT
naro914
QUOTE(larryM @ Nov 8 2012, 11:35 PM) *

but - WHY ??

so why bother -??

Are you asking "why bother with trans cooling"?
Agreed, if you're running stock engine, wheels, etc. probably no need.

But I'm pushing 330 +/- hp with the stress of 12" wide slicks through a basically stock 901 trans that was build with about 100 hp in mind back in the day... THAT'S why.

Plus, PCA enduro races are 90 minutes.
bulitt
This huge fan on the rear end is one approach.

IPB Image
brant
With the trans cooler:
I'm getting 220 degree's after 20 minute vintage race with a 2liter on an 80 degree day at coronado island/sea level

(I also ran at hallet, oklahoma which is 900ft above sea level. I still ran 220 on an 80degree ambient day)

imagine what I was getting before the cooler at the event I blew the trans up last july. It was a 110 degree day and we had 2 drivers on the car that day, running back to back sessions at 5000ft of elevation where the air is less dense and cooling less efficient by far...

I didn't have a gauge on it then, but I'm guessing 260f or more is the norm without a cooler (in a 20 minute session with a tiny 2.0 motor)

I also would theorize that lower gears, smaller diameter wheels, more rpm and definitely a clutch limited slip differential would add to the heat problem if a person has any of those contributing factors.

putting a gauge on the tranny is a real eye opener... no wonder everyone has always said the 901 couldn't handle high hp. I still believe its a 250hp tranny but that keeping oil temps in check is mandatory just like you would for a motor.

for example, you don't hear people recommending to skip front coolers on race cars or that its a waste of time to install an oil temp gauge for an air cooled motor.

brant

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 9 2012, 03:19 AM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Nov 8 2012, 11:35 PM) *

but - WHY ??

so why bother -??

Are you asking "why bother with trans cooling"?
Agreed, if you're running stock engine, wheels, etc. probably no need.

But I'm pushing 330 +/- hp with the stress of 12" wide slicks through a basically stock 901 trans that was build with about 100 hp in mind back in the day... THAT'S why.

Plus, PCA enduro races are 90 minutes.
brant
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 9 2012, 04:20 AM) *

IPB Image

an ideal placement for exit air on a 914 is the panel between the tail lights
fine for a PCA car, but not legal for most vintage organizations...
Retread
Very tidy car.What venues do you run?

I have had a temp guage on the tranny for many years. No LSD so temps are not to bad (those lsd clutches do add heat).

I think the rational limit for uncooled 901 based gearboxes in competion is about 180 HP (as improved). Or 210 degees if you ar using Swepco.

I run a stock class 914/4 2.0 car.

It looks to me like the cooled oil is being spraed on the Ring gear. If so that is good, but not good if in the toothed side (from WEVO).

I did not see a filter, which is a matter some concern, since tranies are a dirty world.

B/r

Retread
V

moggy
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 9 2012, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 9 2012, 04:20 AM) *

IPB Image

an ideal placement for exit air on a 914 is the panel between the tail lights
fine for a PCA car, but not legal for most vintage organizations...

I had the same problem. Here's my solution.

I can't install the cooler anywhere under the car or in the inner wings due to the amount of crap flying around under there during a rally. Here's where I installed it

IPB Image

to then encourage some natural air flow I then drilled some holes in the bootlid under the kick spoiler and installed a grill (same look and feel as the engine grill). This is in a negative pressure air zone so will suck air through whilst retaining a stock ('ish) look.

IPB Image

IPB Image

also, while I've got Photobucket open, here's my box

IPB Image

IPB Image

steuspeed
^^^ Slick!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.