Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a 914-6 for a first time in five years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi all,

An introduction is in order. I've been looking for a 914-6 for quite sometime and stumble upon one recently. It is a '70 914-6. The car had sat for a few years with all of its fluids drained. I'm getting ready to start her up for the first time in a while. What are the things I should do before I attempt to do this? I know about the WD-40 or Mystery oil into the spark plug holes and unplugging the coil to build up pressure. But how do you turn it over by hand if the orientation is opposite the 911? Do you turn it from under the car?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

I will attach a pic later today.

Thanks in advance.
SirAndy
welcome.png

You can turn it over using the rear wheels but that can be a bit tricky unless you have a limited slip.

I have been able to get a (short) breaker bar on the fan nut, but there's not much room to turn.

Otherwise, i'd say inspect all soft fuel lines, including those under the tank, replace the fuel filter and clean out the carbs before you try to fire it up.

You didn't hear this from me, but some people have reported good success using brake cleaner to flush out gunk from old fuel lines.
shades.gif

PS:
welcome.png
billh1963
We need to see pictures ASAP or no help will be offered! biggrin.gif

Just kidding!

welcome.png
URY914
Are your carbs clean of old fuel? That's where I'd start. Then replace your lines and clean the tank. If that tank has been sitting empty for five years I'd say you got a rust problem in the tank.

Bump the starter a few times to see if it will turn over.
wingnut86
...and have 2 friends man different fire extinguishers on either side of the engine bay, just in case.

blow out the relay board well, contact cleaner on all relay contacts and mating connectors, new fuses in the dash fuse panel, hair dryer close by to make sure the cold contact cleaner doesn't create too much moisture.

too many other things to mention here:-))

rgalla9146
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 13 2012, 11:21 AM) *

...and have 2 friends man different fire extinguishers on either side of the engine bay, just in case.

blow out the relay board well, contact cleaner on all relay contacts and mating connectors, new fuses in the dash fuse panel, hair dryer close by to make sure the cold contact cleaner doesn't create too much moisture.

too many other things to mention here:-))

Is someone going to mention oil ?
Because it's a dry sump there is no way to know if the PO drained the oil too.
Drain the crankcase, drop the screen and clean it. Reinstall.
Drain the tank by separating the hoses at the chassis hook.
Change the filter. Add 6 quarts of your favorite goo. (mine is 20w50)
Ignition on, find all the gas leaks including those down the carb throats. Eliminate gas leaks. Clean /adjust/ replace points. Now try to start it. Fire extinguisher close at hand
Run till operating temp is reached.
Check oil level on flat ground at op. temp. at idle.
Probably 1 to 2 more quarts will get you to the middle of the OK range. That's where you want to be, the middle.
Now rebuild the carbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 13 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Is someone going to mention oil ?

Well, the OP did say this "with all of its fluids drained" ...
shades.gif
Here is a pic as promised. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
We hate you biggrin.gif Seriously, welcome.png and that appears to be a very nice Six.
smj
welcome.png

That pic is very pretty, but it won't hold us for long. We want moarrrrr....

An acquaintance reviving a long-abandoned Volvo recently rigged a temporary "gas tank" when checking the engine out rather than dealing with the tank and lines. Just a thought, if you want to focus on the engine and carbs first.
Thanks for all your advice. With the help of some friends, we were able to get the car started. Runs a bit rough, but we'll get it sorted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.