Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ber914
I am currently rebuilding a 914/6 conversion that I bought which had headers which are rotted out. The car uses a standard 72 914 shift rod. If I put original 6 heat exchangers back on the car will I have clearance problems with the shift rod? and if so what is the solution?

Robert
Steve
Is the 72 a straight rod?
I'm running a side shifter and I had to get the rod straightened so it wouldn't hit the heat exchangers.
Automobile Atlanta, Patrick motor sports, OTTOS and several other companies sell a straight rod.
I don't know if its exchanged or out right.
I also heard of people drilling out the rivet straightening the rod and cutting off an inch of the rod to make it fit.
I had a shop in San Jose, CA. do it back in 1986 but they went out of business a couple of years later.

Steve
Trekkor
This is exactly what I need to know!
No mod on the rod if I run headers?

KT
ClayPerrine
Rich Johnson sells them. He requires a core,though.

a914guy@aol.com
ber914
The shift rod in the car is straight with no bends - does this mean it will work with 6 heat exchangers?

Robert
Red-Beard
if you have a buddy who can weld...

Clamp it down, cut out the curved section. I used black iron pipe from home depot. The old rod fit inside the black iron pipe.
IronHillRestorations
I've been making and selling a conversion shift rod for over seven years now (ask Rich J where he got the one on his car). I made a jig and started selling them after the on I got from Otto's didn't work too well. It did work, just not very well.

A stock four cylinder shift rod will not work with a six cylinder conversion, regardless of exhaust, it's convoluted to fit through the hole in the four cylinder crossbar.

If you've got a side shifter and a fairly straight shift rod, then you are probably OK.

The conversion shift rod should have some slight bends in it, as isn't a perfectly straight shot from the firewall bush to the gear selector console on the side of the gearbox.

PM me if you want more info.

PK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.