Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resistor / Non=Resistor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Embarrassing story, but worth telling.

My motor is fuel injected and the engine management system is Link.

I called NGK to ask their technical support guys why they didn't include the caps on the plugs. The plugs I've been running came without caps as their primarily purpose is as a motor cycle plug I learned.

The guy asked me about my engine configuration and then asked me why I wasn't running resistor plugs. He explained that non-resistor plugs could interfere with the signal going to injectors or other critical electrical functions.

He also said I should try the new iridium plugs ($$) in the same heat range as they last a long time.

Anyway went ahead and got the resistor plugs, (CAREFULLY) gaped them and put them in.

When I started the car up you could immediately tell the difference. In the past it never revved this smooth. flag.gif

It'll be fun to see if this plug change makes a difference at an event.
McMark
That's really interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share. smiley_notworthy.gif
ConeDodger
Twitch plug did'ja use Randal?
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 16 2012, 10:57 AM) *

Twitch plug did'ja use Randal?

NGK IRIDIUM IX
DPR8EIX-9
stock no. 2202
edwin
You are game regapping iridium plugs.
works if super careful but i've had many people try and return stuffed plugs from doing it. They sell pregapped plugs to make life easier.
What sort of wires you running?
If you arent running spiral wires then I'd really recomend that too.
I'm in the same boat with fuel injection and didnt even bother trying without resistor plugs and spiral wires
Randal
QUOTE(edwin @ Sep 9 2012, 05:56 AM) *

You are game regapping iridium plugs.
works if super careful but i've had many people try and return stuffed plugs from doing it. They sell pregapped plugs to make life easier.
What sort of wires you running?
If you arent running spiral wires then I'd really recomend that too.
I'm in the same boat with fuel injection and didnt even bother trying without resistor plugs and spiral wires

After talking with the NGK technical folks I learned that gaping them would be a delicate process. So took my time, didn't force anything and was able to get them gaped properly. Word of caution, don't press or even touch the central electrode. You have to pry of swash the outer electrode using needle nose pliers, or some such tool, but stay away from that central electrode.

Plug wires are MSD 3104 universal 4 cylinder. Spiral, yes.
dian
hm, somehow i thought, the spiral wires were there to replace the resistors?
yeahmag
Are you running a CDI or just a standard ignition system?
Randal
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 17 2012, 04:34 PM) *

Are you running a CDI or just a standard ignition system?

The ignition is driven by a LINK box. CD ingition system is Mallory Hyfire 6A.
byndbad914
just wrap all the FI wiring in Reynolds wrap happy11.gif

my friend has a Volvo that he built the crap out of (makes more HP/TQ than my engine!) and he was having issues with his megasquirt. So, questioning if there was too much "noise" under the hood, he wrapped all underhood wiring for it in aluminum foil and it fired right up and ran perfectly. Of course, he worked on swapping the plugs and the wires and so forth, but hell, if it were my car, I would have stuck with the 20 cent fix shades.gif
bulitt
I had a physics teacher back in HS (late 60's) who was so worried about gamma rays he lived in his aluminum foil wrapped basement with foil around his head!
Didn't help him anyways, brain dead MF.

Sorry, back OT
Randal
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 18 2012, 12:25 PM) *

just wrap all the FI wiring in Reynolds wrap happy11.gif

my friend has a Volvo that he built the crap out of (makes more HP/TQ than my engine!) and he was having issues with his megasquirt. So, questioning if there was too much "noise" under the hood, he wrapped all underhood wiring for it in aluminum foil and it fired right up and ran perfectly. Of course, he worked on swapping the plugs and the wires and so forth, but hell, if it were my car, I would have stuck with the 20 cent fix shades.gif

Right, and we all believe that after looking at your perfect car! lol-2.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 18 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Right, and we all believe that after looking at your perfect car! lol-2.gif

laugh.gif you are probably right, I can't leave "well enough" alone either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.