Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: CA Brake & Light Inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I have a buddy who's gotta go in for a brake and light inspection for registration. I've never had to do this... What was the process? What did they look at? How thorough were they? How long did it take?

Thanks! smiley_notworthy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2012, 09:38 AM) *

I have a buddy who's gotta go in for a brake and light inspection for registration. I've never had to do this... What was the process? What did they look at? How thorough were they? How long did it take?

I had to do one a long time ago (12 years or so) and it took only 10 minutes.
Drove to the DMV, the guy walked around the car and checked all the lights, including emergency flashers and the such and then we went for a short drive with me doing the driving.

Again, that was a while ago, so this may have changed since.
idea.gif
Andyrew
I had the mileage checked on my Audi when I bought it and they did a brake and light inspection. Checked the brakes (lights), lights (turn, reverse, head/taillight), ODO, vin and horn. This was ~ 5 years ago.
Mike Bellis
Many gas stations used to give this service. Light inspection also checks the headlight aim. Brake is mechanical too. DMV will not do this service for a salvage title. You will have to find a repair shop that does this. 20 years ago is was $20 each cert or $40 total. I'm sure the price has gone up.
Tom_T
If it's just the basic lights & non-mechanic brake inspection (i.e.: press the pedal & do the brakes work), then you used to also be able to take it to a CHP station & they'd do it without the typical DMV lines & BS.

Usually done when a car is coming off of Non-Op.

Not sure if CHP still does this, but worth a call to see! smile.gif
Drums66
.....Standard procedure,as stated !
McMark
This car has got almost gone rear brakes, cracked taillight lens (still there, just cracked) and the DAPO spray-tinted the lenses. I'm curious if those things will cause problems. Probably one of those 'depends who you get' type things.
SLITS
They are supposed to check the integrity of the braking system. When I had it done, they said the brakes needed rebuilding due to leaking cylinders. So I took it back, washed off the backplates and brake assembly. Took it back and they approved it.

It's a sham brought on by the government.

Cracked lenses and shot linings will cause a problem IF they actually look.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2012, 01:25 PM) *

This car has got almost gone rear brakes, cracked taillight lens (still there, just cracked) and the DAPO spray-tinted the lenses. I'm curious if those things will cause problems. Probably one of those 'depends who you get' type things.

Fix Make it passable. happy11.gif

I forgot about the CHP. Good call!
jcd914
If the DMV is asking Brake & Lamp Certificates you will have to go to a shop that is certified, CHP can't issue a cert.
Mine cost me about $70 for the pair, IIRC.
Cracked headlamp lens would not pass, managed to talk hm into accepting a clear bulb in front marker that had a clear lens by promissing I would put in the correct amber bulb ASAP.
I had just redone all the brakes (pads, rotors, flex hoses) so no issues there.

Finding a shop that still does them for reasonable $$ was the hardest part, several places wanted about $80 each cert.

Jim
Drums66
....On the lenses, fractured are fine...cracked showing daylight bad!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.